Full Spectrum lighting

Discussion in 'Cannabis Grow Rooms and Greenhouses' started by Chaotic, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Chaotic

Chaotic Member

So is getting a full spectrum lighting fixture that burns both HPS and metal halide bulbs actually worth it?? or is a waiste of energy?
    in the 500w system they use two 250w bulbs "One of Each" has anyone used these? and pros? any cons?
    http://www.discount-hydro.com/superspectrum.asp

2. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

For under $200 you can get a 250WMH or HPS. If you have the freedom to grow in two separate areas you can veg in one with MH and flower in the other one with the HPS. If only one area is available you'd have to stop vegging once you start flowering! In such a set-up your dual bulb system would make sense. You'd still not save much money! Hope this helps. b1
    P.S. Check out these people: http://www.pfolighting.com/

3. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

4. b1v2w3

Just checked it out:slow loading!
    Great prices so to see. Let us know how you make out. b1

5. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

inside sun has probably the worst service on the net.
    90 dollars and 90 days later you'll figure it out.
    you get what you pay for.
    as to dual systems- i hear the buds are more compact and a little stickier grown under dual spectrum systems.
    one of the boys here, has one and swears by it.
    im considering adding 800 to 1200 watts of halide- i really like the spectral analysis on those new hortilux blue bulbs. im now running a flourex in one area of my hps budchamber -the plants in range of the flourex have a healthier look all around.
    im gonna add two or three 400 watt halides before too long.
    but im a little insane, i love my nugs and want to give them all i can give- so they can be all they can be.
    tiedye

6. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

discount is one of the more reliable outfits, good prices on high quality merchandise.
    ya get what you pay for.

7. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Really....inside sun? I know GuySmiley has had good luck with them....but i personally have never used them. Ive ordered lights from http://www.ezhydrokit.com/ and had great luck....but there not as inexpensive as inside sun. Any other bad experinces with inside sun?

8. b1v2w3

I've only dealt with PFO and have nothing but the best of experiences to report. b1

9. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

i only get supplies from the nearest hydro supplier in town. it is about a 45 mile drive and i got my goods in hand. my 600watt hps radiant ballasts, with daystar a/c hoods- glass included,and hortilux bulbs , they cost me right around 500 each, came with a five year warranty on the ballasts. i think they were worth every penny.
    i spent around two k on my upgrade- and i have never been happier.
    i'll have 3 to 7 pounds before this cycle is over.
    hydrofarm uses advanced ballasts- if you want a cheap system google advanced ballasts, and buy a do it yourself ballast kit for 60 to 90 bucks.
    then you'll have high quality for a unreal price- but you'll have to rig a ballast box up and hardwire it all in.
    i was thinking about doing that for my halides [next upgrade] but i got a price of 371.00 for the 400 w daystar with 'new blue' hortilux bulbs.
    hoods and bulbs are both over 100 bucks [quality a/c hoods anyways] so figure 250 for a daystar hood and good bulb. 90 bucks for a ballast before shipping.
    add it all up ,and im not gonna save any more than 30 bucks trying to rig up my own ballast. heck with that i'll pay the 371 for a air cooled system.

my 600's can run 9 inches from the canopy- providing more available lumens to the plant than a 1,000 watt halide would at two foot away.yeild is directly proportionate to available lumens- not just lumens.
    that's my story and im stickin to it.
    if ya want a little smoke from a rat ass hobby grow- go inside sun.
    if you are serously cosidering doing this m.j. growing for a few years, plan on spending a couple grand on decent eqipment. i bet my soil grow can compare to some of the hydro grows out there.[probly not lumpy's though l.o.l. not sure i havent seen pics yet- you gotta refresh me memory on your o.g. handle lumpy]
    it's all about the hoods bro.
    do you want a car that spits and sputters and backfires all the time- sounds like it's running on three cylanders at best.[cheap bargain ballast]
    or do ya want a mazzerati [hydrofarm,sunsystem,pl lighting.]
    the choice is yours.

10. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

^^^^I paid $115, including shipping, for my 250 HPS from Inside Sun (The light setup was $90). I purchased it 2 years ago and it runs wonderfully. Inside Sun has good merchandise, Mike just isn't awesome at customer satisfaction. No one complains about his products, they are great. I do agree that his service can be less than desireable.

I am highly offended by your comments about "Rat Ass Grows", that comment is directed at people who buy from Inside Sun....and I am one of those people. You are looking to get 3-7 pounds from your grows....in my opinion that is NOT hobby growing for your own quality smoke. You sound like a dealer. Anyone that is not growing for cash, IS a hobby grower. I have been a "hobby" grower for 4 years now and very rarely have to purchase any smoke (Maybe 1-2 times a year if I am am in between harvests).

11. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

so Chaotic ... u growing for personal use ...or growing for profit?

12. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

i personally smoke over an ounce a week, my girlfriend smokes sometimes twice that. have a freiend or two drop in for a duber here and there. you are talkin 1/4 pound a week gets smoked in my household. if i cycle every 3-4 months allowing veg time, i actually need a minimum of 3 pounds.
    i myself had a ratass grow most of last year,im tired of growing yet never even having time to cure properly because medication is needed immidiately in this household, and if i happen to get a little bit extra after harvest it will be fully deserved and earned. it is actually legal for medical growers to compensate expenses, but i do not sell at all. i am offended at you accusing me of drug dealing when i am a medical grower with legal status to grow.
    if the statement of rat ass grows offends you than get some more wattage you'll be happy with your harvest.
    and guy, if the shoe fit's wear it
    but im tired of seeing you get all uppity with newbies, this site is for newbies as well as show offs. i like to show off myself. but we need to pass on the knowledge we have gained here, however trialsome it may be.let's not get shitty about it, when all you really have is a 250 watt closet setup, it makes you look bad to have such a attitude like you get.
    imho
    tiedye
    who got tired of having a 'rat ass grow'

13. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

ive always been poor, when i had lights i got them when DIY went out of buisness. 2 400 watt HPS and 3 250 watt metal halides, i think i spent 150 bux (everything was 70% off) i liked combining them, i kept one 250 halide and a 70 watt Hps in the veggie, and everyone else in flower. had to do some wiring to get them to work indoor(they were outdoor security lights) and to run off 120 and had to make my own reflectors, ive never looked at pro lights, are they very expensive?

14. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

i smoke 1/4 a day if i got it 'a-plenty' in need 2 pounds just for my head every 120 days
    she has chronic pain 'degenerative disc disease' and need three pounds every cycle as well. i pray to god we get at least five pounds from this grow.

15. WayfaringStranger

amazing, i rarely smoke anymore, and yet youre typing more complete sentences than i do. pot is miraculous, how bout sendin me some?

16. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

yeah my hydrofarm daystar a/c 600 watt hps were 500 each.
    but running 1200 watts 9 inches from the canopy should compensate radically for the added expense.
    my 430 uncooled needs to be 16-18 inches or i get hotspots on a couple plants.
    it is all relative i cannot see how a batwing reflector would come even close to being 1/2 as good as a daystar a/c hood.
    im serious you get what you pay for.

17. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

im gonna end up having to spend about five grand just for truesine wave inverter systems, this growing weed thing just costs a lot of cash if your serious about it.
    add about 4500 for a 6500 watt generator.
    just to get backup power and avoid getting hermies from power outtages.
    better than buying weed from some drug dealer though.

18. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

So anyone that smokes less than you, has less wattage than you and doesnt have a GF that smokes 2 ounces a week "YIKES" is a "Rat Ass"? I can not see how you can call someone who just wants to grow a couple of plants...smokes less than you & really doesnt justify spending that much on wattage a "rat ass". If educating by examble & illustration is consitered a "rat ass" then GS must be one....but i for one, even though he does not have the most optimal primo setup....value his opinon!!!! I like feed back from people just like me....who dont have alot of money...who grows for the experince, not just the smoke.!!!

19. WayfaringStranger

nextime i grow i want to get a generator to do it. you can insulate them to be fairly quiet and you can run a diesel off heated recycled grease. i think thats the way to go nowadays. i do tend to pull off miracles with out spendin to much cash. i actually never had much problem with heat or getting as close as nine inches. i worked out my own cooling system which worked quite well. you seem like you'd know, where to i get(or improvise) a cheap CO2 regulator?

20. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

sorry about the madness chaotic
    i know one of the people here and have chats with them from time to time.
    they have a dual spectrum hood like what you were asking about.[ discount has about the best price on that system i have seen by the way]
    they also say nothing they have compares [1,000 watt hps or halide] to the 1,00 watt dual.
    overall healthier and bushier- the end product is tighter buds with stickier resins.
    im gonna add a couple 400 watt halides and i might get a dual spectrum a/c hood to stick my 430 watt shp and a third 400 halide [just gotta try the new hortilux blue bulbs]into. then all my budroom lamps will be a/c.
    i have a 175 watt halide i can then put into my non cooled hood and into a veg chamber i will build ontop of the genetator/inverter battery case.
    these are the upgrades outlined for this year- sortof a newyears resolutions to give my girls all they need, because they give me sanity and i love my weed. they deserve all i can give them.
    i even gave them my bedroom and i sleep on the couch- total sacrifice ,my back hurts all the time from this hidabed. im building a redwood deck and it kills me to sleep on a hideabed. but my girls get only the best.
    f.u.guy, you got personal buddy- but you'll get none of my personal. l.o.l.