fuck walmart

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by cousinit, Jun 11, 2004.

1. randy

randy Member

theres alot i can say here,

corporations are and have been doing this, buying out and killing off competition, but everyone knows this,
    over the years some companies have done this alot faster than others

wal mart isnt that old, but look how fast it grew, it imports most of it merchandise(read that as junk) from china, so wal mart is another corp that china is getting money from, china and russia worry me these days

i worry for this country and ppl like my brother who buy everything from wal mart and voted for bush and dont seem to ever wonder and be concerned about where this country is heading for,

our walmart her ein town has managed to kill off k mart that reigned this town for years, kmart left over ten years ago, the wal mart building got revamped a few years ago, krogers has managed to stay running during all this time and actually took over eagle country market building which happens to be next door to wal mart, but our wal mart doesnt sell groceries, just cereal and chips and soda and cookies and candy, basic stuff, i bet krogers and other grocery stores would be gone by now for sure if more of wal mart stores were super wal marts

kroger, eagle country market, hyvee foods, IGA, etc

walgreens has been doing ok somehow, the wooden store fixture plant i was working at builds fixtures for many store chains including walgreens, i was told a couple yers ago wqalgreens opens a little over 60 stores a year
    that may or may not be true nowadays though

alot can change in short order in retail chain sector

they are the devil, just like the gov't now and politicians and money and so forth,

totally wrong kind of society exists

we are just letting it all get worse and worse

can only go so far until......

2. element7

element7 Random fool

Jack with Wallyworld. Jam em' . It's easy and it's fun.

3. chaos

chaos Member

but be sure to wear a condom~!

4. Ziarae

Ziarae Member

walmart is waging their new "low price war" for the holiday shoppers this season...Because their sales were lower than expected for that "special shopping day" after thanksgiving.what are they complaining about?they are still going to be the richest company in the world.this just goes to show how greedy they really are and also if they are going to be lowering the prices of their garbage for even less- than dosent that say that ppl have been paying too much for this overpriced crap for too long-we pay less because they exploit more!

on another greed note-the target stores in this state have banned the salvation armys bell ringing christmas charity...now why do you think that is?Thats right they want you to spend all your money at their trendy lil yuppized kmart and forget about the poor-keep those people invisible!

5. MyAphrodesiac

MyAphrodesiac Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Has anyone ever seen the South Park episode where the Wal-mart comes to town? It's pretty good. It's all about destroying the "heart" of Wal-mart...which turns out to be a mirror. Pretty clever.

6. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is sad, but you know if they did'nt use cheap labor in other country's the price would sky rocket. Something that cost 15 dollars would cost around 60 dollars. Thats whats sad. The price of labor here is so much higher to be able to aford the higher price of the products. You know if you lived in mexico and made the minimum wage they paid here you would be able to live in a mansion and be comfortable over there. In some countries you dont get paid very much for labor but then again the price of things are so much cheaper. I want to make it clear I am in no way backing walmart with there decisions. I just think it's sad the way things operate.

7. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Anyone who agrees with Walmart agrees with using slavery, I'm sorry but that is basically what it is: enslaving people in other nations so that you can have your cheap DVD player at half price.

I'm not damning anyone, I have bought from them before as well, however reluctantly. It wasn't until somebody basically laid out for me what was happening that I saw the error of my ways. You are responsible for everything you do and buy in your life, however you try to deny it.

8. superNova

superNova Member

i was in walmart the other day and they evacuated it due to "electrical difficulties." i was expecting it to explode at any second ;)

9. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That episode was great!!

You go on without me, these prices are just too low....must buy!

10. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Americans are just going to keep on buying from Walmart because it's cheap!
    Plus, alot of people in this Country is poor. Especially where I live there's lots of people making less than min. wage trying to survive. Walmart is like a god to them because it offers such low prices on things, and the things aren't as cheap as somewhere like the dollar store.
    It is really sad, but this is how this Country is. Why do you think so many people want to come here? We are all about money. I just think it's really sad that we have to depend on most of our products from other countries. When that falls through, we will be screwed.

11. Ziarae

Ziarae Member

While Building The Walmart In Asheville Some Vandals Drove Some Cat Trucks Into The Building Etc...causing At Least A Million Dollars In Damages And Setting Back Thier Planned Opening Date...ha Ha....do You Think Any Of The Walmart Heirs Will Donate Any Of Their Fortune To Those So Unfortunate In Southeast Asia? I Doubtit-being The Heartless Plastic Snobs That They Are....

12. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

You know, most of you are being hypocrites. Saying how walmarts all evil and shit and then saying you hate them. Theyre not bad as you think. Dont you ever wonder if the information you hear this shit from is biased? Maybe your idea of being evil is just success though.

13. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Gauranteed people stick their fingers in their ears when such reasonable things are said... i agree with you...don't hold your breath for many more people to agree.:p

14. HorseSense

HorseSense Member

Their idea of evil is indeed those that are successful. John Kerry doesn't qualify as evil because he was never successful at making money in any business; instead his career consists of leaching from the government and from extremely wealthy widows.

Do any of these idiots complaining about Walmart realize what rural America would be without this company? None of these poor families would be able to afford rugs, towels for their bathroom, pans for their kitchen, clothes and toys for their kids, if they had to go to the high class department stores, who business practices I'm sure are just as "ruthless" as evil Walmart. Not to mention they could not afford cheap TV's (which they can use to get brainwashed by the liberal media) if their only choice was a real electronics store. So you liberal idiots should be happy that Walmart contributes to getting even the poor their daily liberal brainwashing by affordable TV's, tapes, and even DVD players.

Without the GOP there would be no business in this country; all corporate activity would be a subsidy of the government. That's obviously what you retarded liberals want. Don't ask me how we can have an economy without privately owned business, but that's what you commies want. Get a grip, clueless pinko commies.

15. StarFaerie

StarFaerie Member

Well, that is terrible! Unfortunately, I can't afford to get groceries for me, my husband and baby anywhere but superwalmart. Should we go back to not having any money left over to save for a rainy day (or emergency trip to the doctor for my son) just because Wal mart does what every other corporation does? I mean I'm not saying it's right, but where could we shop that DOESN'T have any shady tactics????

Gee Horse sense, you must buy a lot of toilet paper with all that shit coming out of your mouth. Let me guess, your a righty tighty conservative right? Yea, you people have a bad habit of name calling. Well here's something that may not have pierced your thick closed off head, not all liberals think the exact same way! Plenty of all kinds of people think John Kerry is as evil as Bush. And thank god, not all conservatives are as pissy as that last post!

16. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

I have a plan for Walmart that is less useless than boycotting, which btw is what they want those who disagree with them to do. That way, they don't have to deal with them.

In a recent proposed SuperWalmart in Salt Lake County, Utah, there was a large protest to change the zoning of the proposed site but they came up 10,000 signatures short to force a vote. More than 1/2 the people wanted a cut of the deal for their city. Walmart must be close to its saturation factor. There's 40 stores just in the northern portion of Utah.

The plan: store managers sometimes make donations to individuals if their is a good chance they'll be recognized for their efforts. Not very big donations around here (one Walmart gave a school a $50 gift card to buy first aid stuff for the recent flood victims in Southern Utah.) but it is more than enough for my plan. I am going to approach local Walmarts until one agrees to donate cardboard, black paint, tin foil and the panes of glass necessary to build solar ovens. With their support I can do old fashioned "freak-outs" except more modern in parking lots when I stay there in my rig travelling this year. I'll build solar ovens and show them off when I do a pit stop at a Walmart parking lot. I will not shop there. I will talk to people about solar technology in the parking lots, and give away solar ovens to those who will use them, especially other full-time RVers who park there. I will of course solicit donations in return for the ovens, but the suggested donation for an oven (yes, an oven that can bake like a $500 range in your house) will be $10 - 20, basically covering the labor of putting it together. When I need more material I can again hit up the Walmarts locally where I'm at, building on the fact that I have already gotten a sponsor in Utah, that they get benevolence points and that the donation's retail value I'm asking for is only $5 per oven anyway, so they can "sponsor" how ever many ovens they want. I'll have a fair and ongoing debate on the issue on the website I'm building right now(not ready to share the link yet)
    That's the front. Most Walmarts let you park overnight, and solar ovens is a harmless and very environmentally-friendly venture, and Walmart doesn't sell ovens so it's not in competition with them. Then everyone we talk to we will do our best to discourage idle consumerism, which in my opinion is the real issue with Walmart-- that they so satisfy the consumer addiction. I imagine I might get kicked out of a Walmart parking lot or two, but that is a very small price to pay. More later, as I'm not ETD until March/April
    becca

17. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

So, who owns Target?

18. mhr

mhr Member

It does amaze me how prices can vary so much. At one store a can of chunky soup is $2.59, but at Walmart it's $1.50 for the same exact item. It's a bulk issue. You buy a billion cans it's gonna be cheaper then buying a million. It's the same crap I deal with in the computer industry. Dell, HP, Compaq all sell their bulk purchased computers for a next to nothing price and still profit, yet we can't even buy the parts for that price. It's truely pathetic how all the major corporations get prefered treatment just because they buy more. The whole idea of wholesale pricing can kiss my ass! It's this policy that built Walmart and all other major wholesellers in to the giant mom and pop eaters that they are. On top of that, Walmart adds to their power with all their underhanded politics. How is it considered a free market when Walmart gets preferred treatment that is never offered to competitors. Their wealth and power gives them even more power, it's a vicious circle.

Even so, Walmart still remains only one problem in todays society. Consider car prices and how their cost has risen 10 times more then the average pay. Housing costs have also increased way more then average pay.

You want to know what the backbone of America is? You want to know how to take care of all our problems? You want your dollar to go further?

Well.. only two things will do it... Cancel all your insurance policies on everything you own including health. Then somehow stop every frivolous lawsuit on the books.

Insurance and lawsuits run this world people. It's what causes everything to go up. It costs big money to insure the American worker these days. The costs get spread through every company involved in a product.

You can also blame doctors and lawyers who charge insane amounts simply because they have you by your balls and also need to pay for their insanely large insurance costs because we also have them by the balls if they screw up.

So there is your answer. Find a solution to the American insurance and justice system and you'll solve every other problem in the world.

19. stickchick24

stickchick24 Member

Personally, I do not shop at Walmart b/c of the way they treat employees and exploit 3rd world countries. They cause a great deal of suffering in the world. I read a book (I forget the name) by sociologist who worked quite a few minamim wage jobs, including at walmart. After reading her story, I found it hard to enter into one of those stores again!

I understand that Walmart can take over a small community and I don't condemn anyone who shops there. I will urge people to look within their hearts & look at the facts before they decide to shop there. Like many people have said, one person can make a difference.

Personally, I ask myself if what I want is just an object of my desire and therefore not needed, or some nessecity. Food I must get, DVD's I don't need right away. I find this country is caught in a "WANT, WANT, WANT" cycle which is quite damaging. I try to break myself from it & the result is FREEDOM! It feels great :)

Peace & Love

20. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

Hah, only a few of you people know what your talking about.. and its not the people against walmart.