Fuck The New Forums

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by DrDooblittle, May 19, 2004.

1. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

the new forums suck!!! i want the old ones back!!! im not holding u guys at fault for the old site going under, just restore it to how it used to be!! message too short?? what the fuck is this?? i REALLY dislike all the new "improvements" to the forums

2. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I understand that yeah, but I think I'm just gonna roll with the times and accept things...

lmfao serenity prayer! Anyways yeah, it's not in my nature to just simply drop everything I was on the old forums and start over but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    but I agree I like the old forums 100 times more.(no offence skip, I know you worked hard)

3. Bug_Man

Bug_Man Banned

I dig these new forums. But not at first. It was kinda clumsy in the beginning.

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I think its lost a bit of its hip edge. I mean... Its lost that vibe. Maybe it cause we havent been here long enough but whatever. Its the people thats important, not the format.

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Well, there are millions of other forums all over the internet where you can do whatever you want and you won't have to annoy everyone with your pointless complaints. Nothing here is going to change because a handful of people are inconvenienced.

6. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Things change. Ya have to deal with it, sometimes.

7. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I miss the old one too, I strongly dislike the new one, and haven't found myself here as often. It take's longer for my computer to load, and I just dislike the format. But hey, you can't please everyone.

8. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well why does it always say " message too short" ?? what the fuck is this?? my posts are usually WAY more then 10 characters!!!

9. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I like the new ones better, a much more profesional look and the new ones work quicker for me. Another thing to consider in the old ones we were having to many problems not being able to log on half the time, post getting messed up or lost and the old one looked more like a setup for kidnergardners. Dont get me wrong I still enjoyed being on the old forums but i think the new one is better. Just give it some time, it will grow on you and im sure there will be upgrades and things added in the future. Another thing make sure the drivers in your computer have the most recent upgrades. I go to windows update in mine and make sure all the recent programs have been downloaded.

10. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Very, Very simple to explain. That feature, is to keep people from deleting thier entire post after posting something that could get them in trouble with the Mods, and to keep certain other types from posting a blank message just to "Bump" up the thread.
    I will agree that CERTAIN "Improvements" are a pain...

11. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Being able to "bump" a thread is GOOD!

As one of the longest-term posters on the boards, I have to say, I DESPISE the new format. I hate the icons, I hate the fact that all the unique "hip" style has been removed (i.e. the new "professional" look), I hate that half the time when I write a long post, I get an error message that completely erases everything I've just written - which suggests to me that this format is NOT more advanced at all, I hate how messy and confusing everything looks - I just HATE it. I don't write as much in here anymore either - and I've been a regular poster for over 5 years and a moderator. Some forums are missing "edit" buttons. I've even gotten messages saying I don't have "permission" to post, then 15 minutes later I do again. It's crap. I told Skip - I love him, love the boards, love the folks, but HATE HATE HATE the new format!

12. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When composing an extremly long post your session can time out, your internet sesison could go down at your isp or any another number of factors...i've had that issue on many sites that use form fields. The easiest thing to do is to give your self some protection...next time you type out something HUGE before clicking on Submit

1. Press CNTL-A
    2. Press CNTL-C

this will select all text then copy it in to your buffer...this only works on windows computers...

note of warning when you press CNTL-A you will select all text..if you hit a character on your keyboard you will REPLACE the text with the character...

To avoid that you can RIGHT CLICK in the window, hit SELECT ALL, then right click again and hit COPY.

If it doesnt go through you can just start a new post then hit right click-PASTE.

13. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There is nothing unhip about having a more profesional forum.In the other forum I was having trouble loging in alot of the time and the fact that everything kept getting messed up such as the database. we have to have something more effecient and dependable than that. I agree there is more scrolling in this one and more clicking in certain areas, but give it some time webmaster Skip is hard at work on it.

14. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Sounds to me like you don't have your options set right. If you can, you should select "remember me" when you log in (on your computer, not a public one). Then it won't forget your logon (it just creates a cookie). It will also probably prevent the problem with your posting. (I know you write long posts!)

Also people unfamiliar/unhappy with the posting box can change it to one like we had before thru your options. The box is a bit more advanced now with more features, but most people enjoy these.

15. retrofishie

retrofishie Senior Member

skip i have to say that i didn't really like the old forum all that much, i had a hard time navigating when i was new and then i just used the 'your posts' button to get to the christian hippies forum. I love this setup much more, it's alot easier and as far as being less unique and more professional, c'mon, if people don't want to get more technilogical why the hell are they on the friggin internet!!!!

i think you did a great job and alot of people just have a hard time passing out compliments when they are due, people have to find something wrong with everything.

16. tom

tom Member

Would give ya some cheese to go with your whine, but chances are you'd complain about that also. This forum isn't so bad, but definately takes some getting used to. More professional looking, and don't have to deal with the ads anymore.

17. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

I didn't like the change either, but lucky me, I have Lyme diesease, which gives me a poor short term memory, so now that I am getting used to this, I can barely remember the old forums! If you're lucky, maybe something like that will happen to you, and you'll forget all about the old and be able to embrace the new setup.
    Finally, I've found an advantage to this stupid disease!

18. antithesis

antithesis Hello

You have lyme disease Angel? Did you get it from a tick or something?

But that is a nice way of making the disease into a positive thing :p

19. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

Yes, I do, yes, I did, and thank you, Christine.

20. antithesis

antithesis Hello

That is something I've always been paranoid about since I get bitten by ticks fairly often. Man those ticks are evil bastards aren't they?!