Frustrations with meditation

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Bubble, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Bubble

Bubble Member

I started meditating when I was 14, and for a long period of time I found it to be an amazing tool for achieving a state of lucidity. For the past few months or so, though, I have found that, when I meditate, the main thing that tends to happen is a great deal of tension gets built up in me, which is then released by acting hyper-active. I don't know why this is, and I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to get past this stumbling block in my practice.

Thanks a lot,
    -Bubble

2. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

When tension arises, watch it like you would the butterfly, dancing in the wind. When hyperactivity arises, watch it like you would the dragonfly, zipping to and fro across the mirror reflection of sky on water.

3. Peterness

Peterness Member

What kind of practice do you ultilise?

I've found that too much meditation on the 'metaphysical' (emptiness etc) can sometimes leave me feeling 'spaced out'.

Perhaps just try meditating on loving-kindness and compassion itself?

4. seeker

seeker Member

Although I believe we are first and foremost spiritual beings, the physical world can control us even when we don't realize its doing so. To transcend its control completely is of the utmost difficulty.

The hyperactivity you speak of sounds like restlessness of the body from a build up of sugars in the bloodstream. That is also a common cause of insomnia. It happens because the body is used to burning a set amount of calories, that is it's metabolism. Having a high one is a good thing, it indicates being in good physical condition. So the body prepares the sugars and has them circulating in the blood stream in anticipation of activity. When the body is inactive for a time then the sugars build up and cause nervous restlessness and hyper activity. The simplest cure is to exercise regularly.

Diet makes an impact too. Avoid processed sugars and caffeine, as well as nicotine and other stimulating drugs.

Try scheduling your meditation, meals and exercise at different times in relation to one another until to find out how your body reacts best. Maybe meditating after eating would be easier since at that time a lot of blood goes to the stomach to aid in digestion, often leaving the body relaxed and peaceful.

Let us know if that helps!

5. stalk

stalk Banned

eat well
    yoga
    breathe deep thru the nose
    relax
    meditation isn't always transcendental
    but it's always good for you

6. yyyesiam2

yyyesiam2 Senior Member

definitely regular physical exercise or yoga.

7. yyyesiam2

yyyesiam2 Senior Member

i believe some people out there are calling it "restless leg syndrome". i've had since i was a child. just stagnant energy.

8. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

You're trying too hard and have become bored with your technique.

Meditation is not a stationary bicycle, it takes you places. You must be able to change as you progress otherwise, you become like a rootbound plant.

x