Fruitarians

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Natz, May 9, 2004.

1. Natz

Natz Member

Whats with the Fruitarian thing?

2. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

They only eat the fruit produced from the flower of the plant wo they don't actually have to kill the plant to eat. Many vegitables are actually fruit. Personaly, I could never give up a good salad!

3. mango-JUICER

mango-JUICER Member

i actually am thinking about becoming fruitarian. Ive been vegetarian for about a year and think that im ready for the next step, but im only 16 and im worried that my mom isnt going to want to buy me all the nuts and stuff that i need, she yells at me even now when i get nuts at the grociery store cus she says they cost too much for such a little baggy.

4. Natz

Natz Member

Maybe you should try being a vegan first otherwise it may come as quite a shock to your diet. Ya don't wanna get ill now.

5. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I would try going vegan for some time.I am going threw a tuff time at this point in turnig to a live or raw food diet.if you move to a vegan diet you take each step slower and i feel it is better on the body to make changes like that slowly.Just my veiw.

6. Yokai-Tororu

Yokai-Tororu Guest

I think going vegetarian or vegan or raw vegan or fruitarian all have the same problem. It may be more easy to change to raw vegan then fruitarian. Fruitarian is expensive unless you grow your own food. Whatever you choose do not eat a diet made of processed foods and with pesticides.

7. mango-JUICER

mango-JUICER Member

im starting to eat fruit for breakfast and a salad after school every day and maybe something like a creamcheese bagel some where inbetween to start, ... id go full out vegan but i feel that it may take too much time and energy trying to figure out whats in what. i tried it once before and i think im too lazy to do that.
    plus im kind of hesitant about going fruitarian because i just recently got out of an eating disorder sooo its a confusing time for my belly right now, but i think .. i know its time to take my being a vegetarian to the next level.

question: lets say i go Raw. do those baked Planters Peanuts work for nuts- or would they not count because.... their baked? .. okay, looking back on that, it seems like a stupid question, but oh well.

8. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Member

I live in Alaska, so being a fruititarian would be very hard ($$$). But its something that I really want to do eventually. Its like going back to the days of Adam and Eve or the more primitive days of man. Also, I loves the fruit and nuts. I'd like to know how real fruititarians do it, what do you eat to get every nutrient you need? how many nuts do you eat? do you have the energy to be active?

9. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

It's not hard to be fruitarian. Technically, fruitarians are still vegans. They've just eliminated root veggies and veggies where you have to destroy the whole plant to eat it, like lettuce and brocoli.

Contrary to myth, fruitarians don't become fruitarians because they think plants "feel pain". Anyone who has gone past the 3rd grade knows that plants don't feel pain. People usually go fruitarian for one of three reasons:1)Concern for the environment; 2)Spiritual reasons (like you mentioned); and 3)It's just a food choice.

Being fruitarian isn't unhealthy, because contrary to another myth fruitarians don't just eat fruit. Fruitarians eat the "fruit of the plant". That means fruitarians eat fruit, fruit "veggies" like squash, eggplants, and peppers to name just a few, nuts, and every kind of grain and bean you can think of.

You should visit this website to learn more...

www.thenewearth.org/fruit.html

Click at the link at the bottom of the page. Very informative.

10. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I could easily become one. Pretty much all i eat is fruit and beans. You diet's supposed to be mostly made up of nuts and berries. I did'nt know anybody was into it though.

11. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

Lots of raw foodist & fruitarians on www.rawfoods.com click on "bullatin boards"
    LOTS of info there

12. IwantFRUITARIANwife

IwantFRUITARIANwife Member

I think the easiest way to become a fruitarian is to wait for a new world food system based on tree crops to be optimised so no seeds are necessary in the diet.

13. IwantFRUITARIANwife

IwantFRUITARIANwife Member

I am puzzled why the word fruitarian is not allowed to refer to fruit only without eating living things such as seeds. It makes it difficult for me to get the point across when seeking a fruitarian partner.

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

you'll need to traipse to a natural foods store with bulk bins. Nuts are expensive, but they are also concentrated. I eat maybe a handful straight.I tend to get lots of raw almonds and a few other kinds for variety.
    I also sprout some seeds (been out of it for a few months....where're those jar lids?). They make great odd salads.
    Rather than "go raw" start "cooking" raw. a meal here and there is not likely to frighten parents, esp if you are fending for yourself.
    add more meals per month and eventually voila! new lifestyle.
    focus on the juices first because parents rarely worry about that (get confused, maybe).

15. Incense

Incense Member

There have been many experiments done to try to figure out how plants "feel". They've found results such as, when a person watered a plant, the plant would give off a certain type of vibration whenever that person walked into the room. And when a person broke a part of that plant off, it would give off a totally different vibration when he walked into the room and went near the plant. They did that over and over again and one type of response was always associated with the plant being in pain or expecting to be in pain, and another was associated with getting water. Another time the plants gave off pain vibes was when lobsters were being put into boiling water right next to them (a very painful ordeal - we DO know that crustaceans have nerve cells) - this is possible evidence for plants feeling compasion and stress because of another's pain. Also, certain types of classical music have been proven to make plants grow better, and people have been saying for a long time that if you talk\sing to your vegetables, they'll grow better.

Haven't any of you hugged a big, old, tree before? I have, and sometimes I feel that I can feel plants vibes better than I can feel animals\people's vibes. Maybe because thats all trees really do, give off energy.

Just something to think about. I'm not a fruitarian or anything, and I'm not planning on becoming one, but that plants probably feel pain certainly seems like a good reason to be one.

16. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

aw man, the girl right above me got to it before i did. :D what she said! :D

my dad's always telling me to read this book, called "the life of plants" or world of plants, or something, that deals with that. i've read a bit online, it's interesting... :D