From the "Don't Let the Door Hit You in the Ass on the Way Out " dept....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EllisDTripp, May 25, 2004.

1. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

A lot just had to take the trip north to scotland though, which has a different church in placem and has done for hundreds of years.

2. FNA

FNA Member

Let em! I think this is a great idea, just so long as they have absolutely no power in the world. Yeah, let's grab all these homophobic bible-thumpers, and throw them in a pit somewhere. Somewhere they can call home and are free to suck God's dick without discrimination from us pagan democrats......

3. apollo

apollo Member

see ya, wouldnt wanna be ya.

4. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

TEXAS!!!

GIVE EM TEXAS!!!

Texas is already 2/3 the way there anyway.

It also used to be a seperate country, so it'll be no big deal to native Texans...

5. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk Member

Texas is one of the most important states in the union though, give em something like Montana.

6. taxrefund90

taxrefund90 Member

i hope they do leave. then the rest of the red states might leave. then we be happier and freer than before.

i was thinking it would be perfect if the conservatives and liberals split up the country north-south, east-west, something like that. it would be easier for everyone. the conservatives can happily sacrafice themselves for the bible and eliminate all technology. the liberals can then create a cure for cancer and genital herpes.

7. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/07/31/with_a_religious_state_in_mind/

8. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Quite the leader. Pfft! Any money on him never leaving?

9. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

Taylor's post on the first page of this thread nailed the core of this issue. If we cannot accept the basic differences in eachother, barring differences that involve truly harming another, then as a democracy we will be doomed; and if those who want to 'wipe out' another group "win" then they will turn on eachother because of diiferences within their own group. I believe that barbarism is not the way and that 'enlightened democracy' supporting proper basic rights equally for all groups is the way.

10. EllisDTripp

Which makes a Theocracy (particularly a fundamentalist Xtian one) unacceptable to anyone who cares about such issues.

Any religion that claims to be the "One, True, and Only Way" is incompatible with democracy when that religion assumes the force of law.

11. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

It's funny. I live in the heart of where these people want to move. They are wanting to make our government (in SC) MORE conservative?!? Our senator Jim DeMint believes that homosexuals and single mothers should not be allowed to be school teachers. It doesn't get any more conservative than that!

12. EllisDTripp

Sure it does. According to the bible, homosexuals, adulterers, and even disobedient children are supposed to be EXECUTED. :rolleyes:

DeMint is an intolerant, reactionary twit, but he looks like a flaming lefty compared to some of these assholes....

13. natural23

natural23 Senior Member

Ellis,

When I say,

" I believe that barbarism is not the way and that 'enlightened democracy' supporting proper basic rights equally for all groups is way."

I do not intend to advocate theocracy. I intend to advocate a democracy that is "enlightened" in the sense that all groups are equaly protected and represented such that proper basic rights that should be assured for all are not surpressed or interfered with. "Proper and basic" is left open to question here and this is potentially a "slippy slope" but in a subsequent post I will try to define this. Please give me your thoughts on this. Thank You.

Peace,

David

14. Spastic_Monkey

Spastic_Monkey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

They're fucking insane...

15. we already nuked the aluets they don't deserve any more

they aren't most christians are ice cream social, christian because my parents were happy parts of the bible christians, you pull out judges, revelations, eccliesiastics w\ 90% of christians and they panic, that same segment is that which knows nothing of their religion, knows only what they learned in sunday school when they were kids if that...

how many christians have actually read the bible cover to cover? bet you the number is way less than 10%.......

16. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

You're right. I guess I just don't get why they think SC is not conservative enough. Next year on our ballot, is the strongest anti-gay bill. No marriage, no civil unions, no benefits for "domestic partnerships", etc. or anything that "mirrors a heterosexual marriage." It makes me sick. I have people at work asking me if I believe in Jesus and if I don't, she knows the way for me. People look at me like I'm a horrible evil sinner because I have two children and am not married. Ugh.

17. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

But don't you think they might want some payback?;)

18. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE: if they wanna get all high and mighty about people working on the sabbath, they aughtta read a couple lines later about not causing anyone esle to work either.

The Sabbath being Saturday, right? ;)

sighs

All I can say is I feel their pain in some respects, because I've met people like that and they really believe that they are being oppressed.

But it would be VERY interesting to see what happens as a result of such a move.

My prediction:

1) Initial euphoria: inrush of people, lots of "praise him"s etc.
    2) Purging of "undesirable elements"
    3) Woops. Some disagree with a definition of "undesirable element"
    4) Argument
    5) Dissent
    6) Splintering.

The real problem here is that the folks aren't after a utopia and aren't looking to build, they're basing everything on what they DON'T want and hate and what they wish to be rid of.

IIRC there was that conference on Adolescent Satanism in the 80s in which the conservative Christian and Jewish leaders got together to discuss the situation and lobby.

It was over the moment the first speaker gave a talk on "images of Satanism" and presented the pentacle (Pagan, not Satanist), the inverted Cross (St. Peter's Cross), and went on to say this was often scrawled under bridges, in caves etc. to be closer to Hell. Also, the Star of David....

...at which point the Jewish contingent were like "WTF?"

to which the speaker responded "Satanism is about the denial of Christ, as are you."

The conference was OVER at that point.