Friend moving there

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by eccofarmer, May 13, 2004.

1. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I have a friend wow called me tonight to say he and his partner are moving there.How can someone from the U.S. do that????Can That even be done i wander???????

2. darsunt

darsunt Member

It is very difficult to do it legally. To live there permanently you need to get a work permit, and to get a work permit you need a company to vouch for you. You can't just go over and stay.

On the other hand, there are various under the table ways to do it. You can 'squat' or you can work under the table. Of course if the authorities catch you that won't be fun.

3. Nirali

Nirali Member

Is that hard to obtain a work permit ? I heard not that much.

4. lmao

lmao Member

these days it is much more difficult than it was even 5 years ago.
    the gov't in Holland is falling much more to the right than it has been, and they are cracking down on immigration. that means they are making it much more difficult to obtain papers and work permits.
    I know this from actual experience..not me, but a close friend went there with his family and his wife HAD A JOB, and it still took him over a year and a half to obtain legal working papers.

5. glassdildo

glassdildo Member

The easiest way is to start a business there. Some kind of "Friendship" treaty with the US. Some legal restrictions, but with a good immigration lawyer seems very do-able for someone with a good business idea and some money to work with.

Working for someone is basically impossible to do legally as they have to prove to the govn't that they tried to find someone with EU citizenship who was capable of doing the job.

Check out www.postwarmedia.nl/amsterdam Lot's of good shit in there from a guy who HAS done it.