Friday the 13th Superstition? Is it true or not?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Hi, just question. I have some friends I currently hang out with and I do get along pretty good with them. The problem is their “Superstitious” beliefs?? They believe in things like bad luck such as “Walking under ladders” “breaking mirrors” and “walking past black cats” are all “Bad luck omens”?

But I’m just asking about “Friday the 13th”? In your history or experience did you ever have any terrible or bad news or any bad problems on Friday the 13th? To me it seems like just another day on the calendar? But my friends really do believe it’s a bad day??

2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The number 13 has been a good luck number for the likes of Gary Kasparov from what I have read. It is a lucky number for me as well considering my interactions with this number.

Friday is considered an auspicious day in Islam.

I would say that if these issues agitate the mind, they can be considered inauspicious, because as per eastern religious philosophy, an agitated mind (as opposed to an equanimous mind) is inauspicious and liable to vice and error.

If your mind is highly calm and equanimous, you can even convert hell into heaven and adversity into prosperity.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the history of the number 13 being numero no grata, is really pretty arbitrary. it just comes from the 13 apostles, and judas betrayal, making 12.
    so for them, anything with the number 13 is a bad thing. that's why we can't have 13 months of 28 days (with intercalery days to take up the four point some odd days this lacks of being a full year), or a lot of buildings don't 'have' 13th floors.

its not even official christian doctrine, and certainly not 'bad luck', or 'good luck' or any other kind of luck for anyone else, as far as i know. (i have my own beliefs)
    now walking under ladders makes perfectly good sense as someone on top of one might drop something, or conversely someone walking under could bump into and cause someone or something to fall off of it by doing so.

an agitated mind being prone to error is simple psychology, nothing to do with 'auspiciousness'.

as for heaven and hell, or some equivelants should they happen to exist,
    myraculous ammenities do not a heaven make, universal consideration does, and that opposite, aggressive inconsiderateness make a hell of tyranny for everyone.
    not just in their own parallel universe, or wherever, however, you might suppose them to be, but in a practical sense, anywhere and every where.

friday of course is named after friya. wasn't she the one with the chariot pulled by cats? or was that tue? i'm not really up on that bunch, or have forgotten, just other then the sun, our earth's moon, and saturn (why in particular saturn) or was saturn one of that abunch too? the rest of the days of the week, the ones in the english speaking parts of the world anyway, are named after, actually come to think of it, a mix of norse and roman 'god' things. at least i'm pretty sure mars was either roman or greek.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022