Freehiking

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by maturewvcouple, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Tommz47

Tommz47 Member

Well under the current social distancing, I am getting in a lot of nude hiking. Getting lots of warmth and sunshine, both enemies of potential viruses AND not another person within a mile. It also gives me something interesting and a little exciting to do. I also have the best seamless tan I have had in my entire life.

2. Mullet151

Mullet151 Members

I really enjoy being nude in nature. I've only found a couple areas near me that I can get away with it without being caught. I'm always afraid I'll meet up with a family with children. Not a scene I want to be apart of.

Joe90 and bill697cu like this.
  3. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Had a nice and pretty long freehike experience this real summer-like Easter Saturday. We did choose a “forgotten” old path we had discovered by chance some years ago and we only met two other couples. One was relaxing on deckchairs next their mountain cabin and was nude also, the other was hiking in “hardcore mountain outfit”, unnecessarily, and probably did’t have any comprehension about our “minimalistic” outfit.

Joe90 likes this.
  4. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

If you want to avoid being labeled as a potential evildoer, i think it's a good idea not to go alone but accompanied, while it is no matter if the others go bare too or clothed. Seems like being part of a pair or little group lessens the "bad" thoughts of the people you meet.

5. Mullet151

Mullet151 Members

I would like to hike with others, but meeting people in my general area with the same mindset is an issue. I posted looking for others earlier.

Mobius_Stripped likes this.
  6. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Try doing some web searching on "hiking naked" and similar terms. There are probably people who do it.

7. MasseurNaturel

MasseurNaturel Members

Before the days of lockdown I enjoyed going for walks in the local forest a short drive away, also there is plenty of beautiful countryside around here too. Nude walks are great but as above I definitely recommend going with others. Around my home there are plenty of country footpaths and it's only locals who use them and they all know I'm a naturist so no issues being seen there even when alone. A couple of paths lead to the coastal path and beach which is more popular so I always carry some tiny swimwear wrapped round my wrist ready to put on should it get too busy.

8. Tommz47

Tommz47 Member

We recently went to Canaveral National Seashore. The last time I had been there (years ago) the last beach #13 was known to be an unofficial nude beach, although it had a sign saying nudity was illegal. I was glad to see that they now actually have a sign telling visitors that beach #13 has nude sunbathers. Beach #1 was closed, and the others were sparsely populated with a couple having no cars in the parking lots. Thirteen was the busiest one. We spent the day there in a half shade beach tent and would hike miles north. There were a few swimmers wearing bathing suits and some clothed fishermen we encountered along the shore, but most of the people there were mature nudists. It was nice to be able to hike as far as you wanted without carrying “emergency” shorts. We will definitely make this a regular stopover.

NudistTed and Granite69 like this.
  9. nldn

nldn Senior Member

My nude walks have been along nude beaches, or in one instance between them along the coast of the south of Ibiza. I've not been the only one on each occasion but walking nude is a pleasure when you have the opportunity and it is warm enough.

10. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So I’m planning a weekday hike just prior to Columbus Day weekend in northern Maine and am researching the legalities of public nudity in Maine. As I’ve posted in a different thread, I have done three mid-range to longer nude hikes (6-10 miles) in Vermont this summer, where public nudity is totally legal.

Maine is a tad different with some subjectivity built into the law.

Read More: Being Naked in Public in Maine isn't Totally Illegal

I have free-hiked in Maine a few times when I was sure I was alone, but not with the same carefree attitude that I have when in Vermont, where there is no fear of arrest. But since this hike I’m doing next week is a loop hike I won’t be sure at any point that someone won’t approach from the opposite direction. Generally speaking, I think naturist activities do not fall in the “likely to offend or alarm” category, but it might be a good idea to carry an “emergency” shirt for cover-up if necessary ... just to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    NudistTed likes this.
  11. Amontillado

Granite69 likes this.
  12. Granite69

Well, that’s the problem with subjective legal language. If one person says he or she was offended or alarmed by seeing exposed genitals in a typically-clothed situation, then how can the authorities dismiss it without consideration? In the above article, however, the men convicted seemed to be intentionally causing a big scene that was witnessed by many folks both in the restaurant and in town. Conversely, my own proposed situation would be on a mostly secluded trail based on time of year and it not being a weekend. Most adults at work, kids in school. But still. Will likely play it by ear ... have a bit of a long history with tending to just go for it when the naturist spirit strikes.

NudistTed likes this.
  13. Granite69

At the end of the day, it was weather considerations rather than legal considerations that were the determining factor. Quite simply too cold and too windy for anything less than two layers. A good reminder that the flesh is weak and clothing actually has a practical use. Methinks nude hiking season is over here in the Northeast. Until next year ...

14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't expect a shirt is going to cut the mustard, unless it happens to be a special one the length of a woman's dress to cover the genital area. Would be preferable to carry a light thin pair of shorts, or a light thin skirt, I would expect.

Granite69 likes this.
  15. Amontillado

A wrap skirt with velcro fastening is best. Having to step through a waistband (whether it's a skirt or a pair of shorts) delays you, and can leave your feet tangled in fabric. Call it a kilt if you're squeamish about wearing skirts.

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Agreed. I have a couple of those however the fabric is a bit heavy - I believe they're designed for stepping out of the bathroom after towel drying. I'm not carrying that on the trail. I'd wear it in cooler weather but when it's warm enough to be a delight to hike naked I'm bringing something real light and real airy. I have thin soft lightweight shorts that hemmed the legs short on, with big leg openings for easy full access. Usually a stretchy polyester material that's easy for air to pass and quick to dry. They're actually easy to get in and out of even wearing big boots, though I mostly wear Chacos. They're kinda see-into and fabric conforms to delineate head and urethral opening but I'm legally covered and you have to be pretty close to see the rest inside. In cooler weather I go with jeans cutoffs cut to the same short, wide leg openings (I add cloth at the center seam to expand room). They're like skirts, nice and open at the bottom, but connected enough in the center so that if I sit carefully I can keep the privates covered when I feel I have to. I certainly don't mind letting strangers get a look, I just do so in a way that makes it look like I'm completely unaware I'm showing so I don't come off as threatening. If I had a thin polyester wrap skirt with Velcro as you describe, I'd wear that out hiking and feel pretty confident about being able to slap it on if encountering other hikers.

17. Amontillado

That's pretty much exactly what I have. It was sold as a women's cover-up skirt for a swimsuit, and is size Large, but if that's true, the ladies must come pretty tiny, because I had to replace the velcro at a wider setting, which decreases the amount of wrap. It is 17 inches long, which is OK unless there's a wind blowing, or I'm sitting on something low. In fact sometimes I roll it up at the waist the way the bad girls do, but not when I'm expecting to meet strangers. I want to be comfortable, but I'm not interested in showing anything to anyone.

18. Granite69

Solid idea, guys. The hiking skirt thing will be in my gear pack by the time I next hike naked. Lightweight sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Sounds perfectly practical! Comfy and easy to wear or carry.