Freedom Of Speech!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Yogamat, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Opera ghost

Opera ghost Members

I don’t think you understand freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is the right to speak out about the government. It’s not the right to say whatever you want without repercussions .
    Freedom of speech the first amendment. You should probably read it. It’s not what you seem to think it is.

Noserider, Meliai and fem_fatale like this.
  2. KerrBear

KerrBear Members

There’s no changes to free speech rights. What’s acceptable in society changes but it also needed to change

3. storch

storch banned

Describe these repercussions you speak of.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So everyone in the world should go by the definition in the US bill of rights. Some countries in the world actually bothered to put such definitions straight into their constitution.

But freedom of speech means exactly that Speech that is free, regardless of what little extra rules any government wants to slap on those three words together "freedom of speech"

Irminsul likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah and for the most part, the repurcussions are, someone gets offended.

Then when someone gets offended, yeah then so what? Nothing really happens after that. People still think what they want to think

6. storch

storch banned

I'll bet the Dixie Chicks would have something to say about that.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't care what people say. They're allowed to say what they wanna say as far as I'm concerned. I'm not into censoring anything to benefit a larger audience and their feelings, that's not how I think humans were created equally like that for if we were there'd be nothing to argue about but there is because that's just how being human is to me, we're all unequal with differing views on everything and I don't believe one set of views should be upheld over another set of views for any reason.

To me there's two choices you can either get your panties tangled in a knot when you hear something you don't like or you can not get your panties twisted in a knot. Really it's got nothing to do with what "they" said, it's about your actions but you gotta realise you're just in this life with the rest of us and the guy standing next to you might not have the same ideals in life and it's not on them to agree with you, it's on you to get over it and get on with your life and I feel if people could grab this concept we'd all get on with life a little better. :)

So Karen is Christian
    Alfred is an atheist
    Jonno is racist
    Stephanie is a lesbian
    Vince is gay

What are you gonna do about it? Lol. You ain't gone do shit, so shut your trap and get on with it. :sweatsmile:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If anything, people are more hesitant to speak out; and if you make folks too nervous to speak freely, then there is no need to change the law.

I think (US) society is suffering in that people can't discuss difficult topics with civility--any issue can easily turn into an ideological minefield. Ideally, two people could debate about a contentious subject and still remain friends at the end of the day.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm always arguing with my friends and we're still friends. :) my own wife doesn't believe a word of what I believe lol. She rolls her eyes I tell her to shut up :p it's real OK. Lol.

10. storch

storch banned

It's a good thing I agree with you, or I'd be all over you like bark on a tree! :smiley:

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I am pretty dialled in aren't I? :)

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Errr, you just referring to the Bush thing, I seem to remember them doing something else stupid, cant remember what.

But being blacklisted for the Bush comments was fucked uo.

But a quick check, world tours in 2010, 2013, 2016. Live album 2017 that made it to number 20 on our, australias, charts.

Think it hurt them far more in the US than internationally

13. storch

storch banned

You betcha.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

making a bunch of shitty pop-country music?

McFuddy likes this.
  15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I take the view that unrestricted freedom of speech has gone way too far in some respects. We've all seen these commercials for vitamin supplements or weight loss pills or whatnot on TV commercials that have not been evaluated by the FDA. Hell, even that commercial for that spray shit that plugs any leak, you know, dude saws a boat in half then puts it together with a can of spray shit. I think we all know that's bullshit, but it's protected speech. So in the US it is just fine to lie to make a buck.

McFuddy likes this.
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You cant control how your speech affects others. You are free to say what you want and other people are free to react however they want.

18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I asked for the example and I haven’t responded to it.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah well, fuck em. You know what mate? It's un-Australian to not speak your mind.

stumpy likes this.
  20. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Free speech is having an opinion without legal risk. It's not illegal to mock Trump or Obama for example.

It is not the right for others to hear your racism or ignorance. It is not the right to remain employed when it comes out what a racist ignoramus you are. Others will then use THEIR free speech to judge you or prevent you from working for them. We all have the right to ignore and not listen.

Most people I see concerned with free speech now are alt-right and upset the "PC" society does not agree with them. YouTube censorship or anything like it is not free speech.

100% if you live in America you have free speech today.