Freedom Of Speech!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Yogamat, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

Do you think we've lost it?From a young adult onwards,I grew up with people who were able to speak their minds,share opinions,have open debate's and discussions on any subject.Sometimes yes we were offended,but we got over it.It did us little if no harm,infact in some regards it made us stronger.
    In this day and age of pc,I feel we've regressed and its like living in Nth Korea sometimes.Why is it that its gone so far now,people are afraid to share opinions,especially face to face?
    Why do we have to accept everything and if you don't?You're cast as an outsider.I feel we've lost our freedom of speech.

ZenKarma, newbie-one and onceburned like this.
  2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

You’ve only lost it if you’re concerned about others opinion of you... but that’s on you.

It’s absolutely nothing like living in North Korea. That’s absurd.

Noserider and bluewatersurfer like this.
  3. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I meant NK as tongue in cheek type humour! I don't think it is on me.I think we all know we can't really say what we want in fear of causing offence to someone.

4. onceburned

onceburned Banned

hell yes we are losing our free speech, used to be if you didn't like something you didn't listen or look at it.
    now you are in trouble for expressing your opinion...

Kirstie, bourne1978 and Yogamat like this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

People understand that it's proper to check oneself in certain regards, right? I mean, you don't go just running your mouth about a minority group or some marginalized group of people. It's not simply dismissed by saying "oh pc bs". I don't agree with that. People absolutely should learn to control their language. I don't know if that's what you meant, but that's certainly how I feel. If it feels like some sort of control has been imposed upon you, perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. :)

When I was younger I felt like it was a burden to live hand in hand with certain segments of society. Now I see how sheltered my views were. I've learned that I must be more accepting of different aspects of our culture as well as of different cultures; subcultures included.

I hope this is on track for what you're talking about. No, I don't think we've lost freedom of speech.

Yogamat likes this.
  6. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

When I was in high school many years ago,you could more of less say what you wanted to.It was kind of a game of survival of the fittest.You learnt to be thick skinned,and got on with life.In today's society,I feel you can't really say anything,or disagree with someone's opinion without causing offence.I'm not advocating that everyone be rude,throw personal insults etc.In a weird way,we perceive to live in an age of acceptance when in reality,we're being forced to live in a time of little acceptance,if that makes sense.We have to accept everything and anything but in return,no one accepts that actually....you may not like a certain thing,or agree with someone's opinion.
    Why should you feel pressured to accept "everything and anyone"?We're only human.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

But that’s not a restriction on you, you’re still choosing to not say things based on how others would react...
    So yes, it’s on you.

8. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I know what you mean,but in society you're kind of damned if you.You'd be in the monority surely?We're all supposed to keep our mouths shut,and not say anything remotely upsetting to anyone,its just the norm now.

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Could you give us an example of something you wouldn’t say now that you might have before?

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm fairly certain that a movie like 48 hours wouldn't be made today.

Another example are the lyrics from Pink Floyd's In the Flesh reprise from the album The Wall. I've never heard any controversy in regards to this. There's no way a band of this stature would skirt controversy with these lyrics today:

I'm not necessarily suggesting life imitates art but art and media can be like a microcosm of the overall culture, so while I wouldn't say we full on lost it, yes I think there are constraints on Freedom of Speech today. The peculiar thing is Violence seems to have become more glamorized in art and perhaps we've seen that reflected in the US culture, with the amount of shootings.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

didn't OP just yell at someone in another thread for making a misogyny joke?

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Jokes are great until they’re about you, amirite?

onceburned likes this.
  13. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

No it was'nt me.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Not always. I worked with an Indian guy some years ago and I was always having jokes with him, such as asking how many spoons of curry powder he wanted i his tea. Of all the people I worked with a that time, he is the only one who still drops in to see me when he is in Wimbledon.
    Their is a difference between light hearted banter and making hurtful comments.

morrow and Yogamat like this.
  16. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

Ok.I find it annoying when you have a gay guy who's effeminate.Just their voices grate me as its kind of accentuated.Why not just speak as a guy normally would.

wilsjane likes this.
  17. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Naah..plenty of people still speak their minds

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The funniest incident that I can remember, was the day that a guy such as you describe was getting on everyone's nerves while he was trying on every pair of tight pants at the local fashion boutique and complaining that none of them were available in pink.
    He suddenly came out of the changing cubicle and started complaining that the last pair that he tried on had a pin left in them that stuck into his rump. The staff were in hysterics and most of the customers too.
    You can imagine what happened when the manager was called for the umpteenth time and she just casually said to him, "I don't know why you are complaining, I would have thought that you would have enjoyed having a prick up your ass".
    Everyone was almost on their knees with laughter.
    Unfortunately he complained to the shops head office and the manager was fired.

19. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

lol Thats very funny wilsjane! Wow and the manager was fired?

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Really? You still havent worked that out yet?
    How old are you?

So you are complaining a gay guy learned a voice that repels most of the opposite sex.....and you are still saying stuff like why not talk normal so he can have more females approach him and whine in that nasally voice they all do

Ged likes this.