Freedom From Atheism

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Zzap, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is still about that wedding cake lawsuit in Oregon.

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think it's unlikely that "atheists" have passed a single law in this country restricting the rights of anyone. That's because atheists are a still pariah group without political power. The courts have restricted the ability of people to interfere with the rights of others in the name of religion. This doesn't make the judges "atheists", although to a religious fanatic it probably seems that way. The present Supreme Court includes Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Kennedy, Alito, Sotomayor and Thomas--all Catholics and, for the most part conservatives. That's a majority! Another Catholic, Justice Scalia, recently departed. That leaves three Jews: Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kagen. Breyer has said he's guided by the Torah's concepts of justice. The courts are faced with giving reasonable construction to the law to protect the rights of minorites as well as majorities. I think they're doing a good job. No, we don't get to vote on their decisions, but we do get to vote on the people who appoint them, and this presidential election will decide who gets to fill the vacancy that could tip the court in a more conservtive or liberal direction.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dejavu~

Dejavu~ Members

Argument? Oh, you haven't quite understood Zzap! lol I'm here to laugh! :-D

Names. We want the identities of these contemporaries of yours. These murderous atheists "at the helm" of the west, punishing the pious. Names! Or will it endanger your mission? Reveal these directionless destroyers of our finest moral compasses! Quickly, before they all point south! Now, lest we hold you in our hearts to be a mere purveyor of pusillanimity and not the noble and gracious knight whose unimpeachable conscience we are surely being made privy to. Soon? Soon then, before these godless heathens overrun the universe and mate with our women producing such hellspawn as was never yet birthed. Er... Maybe? Maybe you shall bring these devilish despots to justice, as opposed to the divine kind of witnessing you bear witness to heartier imaginations than your own. :-D

But I doubt it! I doubt you! And I doubt your mother too! lol

5. Bud D

Bud D Member

Yes but that hasn't happened yet in America. I think Stalin tried to make himself more powerful than religion, make himself some sort of powerful being.

You are not Russian so I doubt it really matters to you more than an excuse for your own violating people.

Nobody will ever be totally free of anyone's beliefs or practices. Best you can do is have a belief that provides some peace and tolerance. I'm just not seeing any tolerance from religious people.

Maybe you would understand that people don't want to be reminded of a religious thought anymore than you want to serve Stalin or his type. Not everyone wants to live according to the bible or even find it's all that golden.

6. Bud D

Bud D Member

I don't think it's so much that people can't believe in spirit or afterlife. It's the sale, people don't want to buy into the salesman. I don't think people are right at all about things and they try to make it law because they are so convinced that there beliefs are real and supreme. A very dangerous situation!

7. Zzap

Zzap Member

so then we are to conclude from your post that atheists do toleration for people, despite well known atheists have murdered millions? Where is the reason and logic in that?

The US came within an inch of being taken over by a coup around 1933 and you simply want everyone to close their eyes and pretend it could never happen here?

I have 'never' said or implied that anyone should live according to anyones elses religion but their own.

You should take the time to read the thread instead of those who would misrepresent my position.

8. Zzap

Zzap Member

government

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You seem to just want to generate hate on this thread for atheists.......sew some more seeds of hate and you are no better than Stalin....which is the only example of an atheist you have given here....and imo, he was just a deranged madman, serial killer on a massive level.

10. Zzap

Zzap Member

The thread title clearly states freedom from atheism not atheists. There are no rules that imply that because they profess a specific religion they are obligated to rule with that regard.

there is a huge distinction between an atheist and an atheist based law. in other words you do not have to be an atheist to pass an antitheist, or law based in atheism.

11. Zzap

Zzap Member

nope atheists in this thread seem to demand they be recognized as the moral high ground when historically nothing of the sort is true.

12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

... but he only brings it on himself.

Anyway, the original question posed in this thread was answered long ago. How do theists free themselves from exposure / influence of atheism in a country that has freedom of speech and freedom of religion? They don't. It isn't possible. It can't even be done in this forum.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.