Free your books!

Discussion in 'Books' started by ImmortalDissident, May 23, 2004.

1. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That's so keen!

I think the neatest thing to happen through the Bookcrossing website for me has been making a book trade with another member. She'd seen a book on my "shelf" that she'd been trying to find and really wanted, so she asked me if I'd want to trade. :) That was a lot of fun to do. I wound up reading James Patterson's Along Came a Spider as a result. I absolutely loved it! I'd seen the movie and liked it, so I thought the book could be interesting. Now I need to read some more of Patterson's Alex Cross books....

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

yep... ive done this before. about a year ago i found some book crossing books at a starbucks and i have "freed" some of my books since then. :)

3. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

Hey yes, it's a really cool thing - I love the whole idea!
    I first heard about it a few days ago and so I haven't released any books yet, but I've registered already and am definitely planning on setting some free. ;)
    Only pity is, the rate of books being journaled after they were found is only about 10 %, as far as I know, which makes it a bit sad to leave books in the wild... It's just...imagine you release 20 of your beloved books and if you're lucky you'll get to hear from 2 of them, the rest vanishes...

4. element7

element7 Random fool

^^ I've got a few hundred books I was considering letting loose into the wild. I guess it's the same apprehension that someone will just keep it and be a greedy selfish pig. I don't want those books just gathering dust on some shelf or even worse, being sold. For example: a book by Sir Francis Barrett which is one of the early works of occult theology and practice. I'd love to see that book make the rounds and travel amongst different people with a record of where it's been but... it would really sadden me to see it dissappear. So, I'm signing up and I think I'll drop some books with a little less worth.

5. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't know how you set one up, but I believe you can set up a bookring--where you can get together a bunch of people interested in whatever book you want to make the rounds with, and they send it from one to another and I think it ends up back where it started. At least that way you could share some of your dearer books without altogether losing contact with them. Just an idea.

6. element7

element7 Random fool

^that sounds like a great idea.

7. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Oh I guess there has been a good thread about this. Anyway, I have traded a book by looking at people's "wish lists" and if one hit on a book I'm willing to give away I'll look at their bookshelf to see if there's a book there I'd like to read. Then it's like 1-2 dollars to mail it out, but you get a book you want for that. I'd say don't hold on to most of your books, eventually something will happen to them and you'll regret not sharing when you had a chance. I'm BeinBee there, if there's anything on my shelf you want to read, let me know and we'll trade!

8. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

This is really cool. I'd never heard of it before, but I joined and I'll see about setting some books free soon... I'm very attached to my books but I have a few I will share for sure.

9. charbono

charbono Member

*bump* :)

10. charbono

charbono Member

*cough*

11. MollyBloom

MollyBloom Member

What an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing :)

12. charbono

charbono Member

*sneeze* !

13. hippypaul

hippypaul Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Way cool - thanks - plan to start at once

14. ydnim

ydnim hiya

awesome! I just joined!

15. jules329

jules329 Member

Gosh I don't think I could let any of my books go. I love to read and reread them. Sorry I guess I am just a little selfish but the concept is a great idea. Especially since books can be an expensive hobby.
    jules

16. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i freed some of my books earlier this week. :D i think i'm going to let more of them go soon.

17. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I have a ton of books to let go, but from looking around the site, it doesn't seem like a lot of books get picked up and logged back into the system! What are your experiances?

18. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

none of mine have been journalled on. yet. <shrug> i dont have any kind of energy attachment to the books though, they're free to travel on whatever journey the universe has planned out for them. if one of the books really resonates with someone and they feel that they need to keep it, so be it.

19. charbono

charbono Member