Free your books!

Discussion in 'Books' started by ImmortalDissident, May 23, 2004.

1. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone here uses www.bookcrossing.com . If anyone doesn't know what it is... there is a website listing all the books in your area that have been freed. What that means is that someone has read a book, put a label on the inside and then left it in some public place for others to pick up and enjoy. When you are done with the book you leave it in another public place and post on the website where you left it. I think its a neat idea and its fun to go book-hunting!

2. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

Hey I'm a bookcrossing member...
    I have never really done anything with it yet...but they sent me a book that im reading now...
    It's such a cool idea...

3. Animaliberation

Animaliberation Member

Yup, I am a member also.

4. charbono

charbono Member

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I become very very attached to all of my books and I could never give them up. Yes, I am selfish like that.

6. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

ah! i found a book just recently and now all my friends are getting into it! I decided though that i couldn't bare to part with any of my books, so i bought a whole bunch of 2nd hand books to release.... but of course i read them all first and now don't have the heart to give them away either!!!

but it's the most exciting feeling when you just find a book lying around waiting for you!!

7. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I joined I'm MarleneDietrich, but I have a question, do I HAVE to buy these stamps/stickers to put on the books I leave?

8. We_All_Shine_On

lol nvm, but I have another question. I'm in a small town which isnt on the place list. do I HAVE to go to a bigger city to leave a book?

9. We_All_Shine_On

Alright, I am releasing my book. FUCKIN A! good site.

10. We_All_Shine_On

wait wait wait..... I released it in Alliston.....which isnt on the list... how do i see all the places in ontario that arent on the list?

11. peaceband_chick

peaceband_chick Member

I just registered a book, and I am going to release it tomorrow.

12. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

i think you can just type in where you left it and the town will be added to the list....

someone just took a book i found overseas! I'm so excited about it! :)

13. charbono

charbono Member

nooooo... add your town to the list!!!

Also, you don't have to buy any labels.... you can either print them out, or just write in the front cover something like:

"This book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com. BCID 123-456789"

14. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I'm a bookcrosser! :D

15. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Being attached to your books does not make you selfish. I have some books I've been hauling around for forty years. In fact, there are a few (a couple of budddist texts, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Electric Koolaid test, A Seperate Reality, a few others) that are in my will to be buried with me. But. there have been some I've gotten and read for fun, ya know - casual reading (example = Star Trek books ) that I've given away. Librarys, children's hospital, homeless &/or women's shelters etc.
    Another good book source http://www.gutenberg.net/ or http://www.promo.net/pg/

16. charbono

charbono Member

***bump***

17. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Thanks for the link to bookcrossing. I just joined the site. I just moved back to the town I had lived in when I was in high school and found out they had closed up their town library....only about 275 people in this town. Does anyone know how I can get a state/federal grant or something to get another library opened in this small NH town.

18. charbono

charbono Member

**bump**

19. Lizard Lady

Lizard Lady Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sweet. I can't believe I never saw this post before! I was just about to post and ask the same thing! Bookcrossing rules! The idea of making the whole world a library is so lovely. I've been a member since the Spring and have released a few books. I too am a devout book horder (my apartment looks like a used toy/book store), but have decided to part with some of them that I either didn't care for in the first place or know I'll never get around to reading. It's so much fun!

20. FreeBird1969

FreeBird1969 Fleas on their paws.

I just freed Catcher in the Rye and 1984. I saw someone pick up 1984. It just gave me a great feeling by sharing that knowledge and secrecy with someone I've never met before. :)