Free fests

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by drumminmama, Aug 20, 2006.

1. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Well, that's slightly harsh, as there are people, like me, who enjoy that music genre. If fact, I enjoyed last year's Ozz Fest, (can you say Ozzy and SOAD, hell, yes!) much more than any music festival I've ever attended here. The people at Ozz Fest were overwhelmingly nice and friendly. We met some wonderful people from Canada among many others. Everybody we saw was having a wonderful time all day.

Each to their own, I always say!

2. Niketa

Niketa Member

any free in east tennessee, knoxville/servierville/maryville/morristown area? :D

3. earthfriend

earthfriend Member

www.nwfolklife.org

It is a free, fun, cultured 3-day festival in Seattle WA, right at under the Space Needle..workshops on drumming, all sorts of ethnic food vendors, lots of diverse music, fun fun fun!!

4. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Yeah, I'm going to Seattle Folklife next weekend. I've been on many an occasion and always had a blast. Nice thing about the location is that it's also near the Experience Music Project, Sci-Fi museum, Space Needle (as mentioned), Science Center and IMAX, and the Children's Museum. They have several stages set up throughout the center (mostly pedestrian section) and a nice big fountain that kids (and adults) can run through. All free, with the exception of what you spend at the vendors.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

well that's because they were canadian? :) Texas metal fests, for an example, are quite different.
    and yeah, I work a few metal shows. Give me folk anyday, and even a hippie rave...loving Bassnectar these days.

6. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Everybody seemed just so happy to be at Ozzfest, it just was spilling over everywhere. [​IMG]

And Seattle's Folklife Fest is one of the best around. And like Monosphere said, it's relatively inexpensive - free to get in! I really liked the local music. And there's lots of it!

7. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

This weekend is our annual freedom weekend aloft gathering. It's been in the area for years and this weekend will be in my home town of simpsonville. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me to this celebration? I'll be there most definitely Sunday and possibly Friday and Saturday, at least for the booths.

Basically it's a.... well, people set up booths and there are concerts (Goo Goo Dolls are playing Sunday, Josh Grobin, some other up and comings and some has beens!) It's held in a big field (this year at Heritage Park) and there are hot air balloon shows on Saturday afternoons. As well as fireworks and the whole lot.

We use to celebrate it 4th of July weekend but it got too hot.

It's free to get in and $20 to see the concerts... which isn't bad for Goo Goo Dolls and is often set up in Woodstock fashion. Everyone gathers in a big field and dances etc etc.

Average turn out is around 10K a weekend. At least that's what it use to be about 10 years ago. This time it's going to be in a different area than it ever has before... less than a mile from my boyfriends house.

I hope you guys take the time to come out. I would love to get to meet you guys and have some fun. Maybe we can make some crafts and pass out at the fair. (Oh, there are kiddie rides too.... it's basically a bazarr.)

Here's a link... http://www.freedomweekend.org/

I want lots of feedback!

8. angie252525

angie252525 Member

ive had a great time at ozzfest each year i attended.

can i have more info about that fest in WA my email is alandry08@hotmail.com if you dont mind :)

9. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

This will help ya.

http://www.nwfolklife.org/

10. prettylittlehippy

prettylittlehippy Member

colorado festies?
    eh?

11. Scarlet101

Scarlet101 Member

I've been racking my brains, but can't think of any, which really sucks; being the poor student type, i can't really afford the prices of festival tickets over here! But i would love to know if there are any.

12. Piece Of Mind

Piece Of Mind Member

Does anyone know of any festivals in the PA area? Preferrably around Harrisburg of Philadelphia? Sadly, I don't really know how to find out about them but I've been wanting to go to one for a really long time.

I already know about the Philadelphia Folk Festival, but I was wondering if there were any others that perhaps aren't as well-known and therefore don't have as many rules. (IE. no restrictions on alcohol, etc...which is how it's like for the Philly Folk Fest)

13. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

14. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

15. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

any New England Free fests

16. stiffen

stiffen Banned

17. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

Anyone know about any good fests in Portland Oregon? I'm heading back there next week for college, and just wanted to know if anything interesting was going on!

18. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Can't think of any fests in portland that are free. But I should let y'all know that this saturday and sunday Seattle is holding their Hempfest, which is one of the largest pro-ganja festivals in north america. It will be held at Myrtle Edwards park. They do suggest a $5 donation, but it's optional. They'll be thankful to have your support. And they're still looking for volunteers, even if it's to walk around with a garbage bag and help with the litter. And at around 4:19, one of the stages throws out a bunch of joints. Sure, it's kinda cheap nasty weed, but it's free.

19. WoodNymph

WoodNymph Member

in response to silverwolf...there is a festival going on next weekend-Horning's Hideout, and Yonder Mountain Stringband is headlining...I just moved to portland two weeks ago and I start school as well in a few weeks...

20. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

That would be the Northwest String Summit you are talking about, featuring Yonder Mountain with Darol Anger. However, it's not free. I'm sure the cost has gone up to $130 or so for the event. However, that does include all 4 days/nights of festivities as well as camping. Not a bad deal, in my opinion. I had a blast both times I went. More info at http://www.stringsummit.com