Free-falling 8.5-ton space station expected to crash into Earth in March

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Moonglow181, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is scary. I have not much to add to that sentiment.....so i will just add the link to article and copy and paste the contents of it that I can.

I can say that Henny Penny was right in the children's story..."The sky is falling...The sky is falling."

Link

Copy and pasted article....in quotes,....

"
    Updated Jan 4, 1:48 PM; Posted Jan 4, 1:48 PM
    [​IMG]
    (NASA/NOAA)
    32 shares
    By Benjamin Raven

braven@mlive.com

An 8.5-ton space station that China lost all control of in 2016 is expected to crash back into Earth in March, give or take two weeks.

China's space agency notified the United Nations back in October that its Tiangong-1 space station would fall from space into Earth. The Verge reports that the space station is expected to fall between 43 degrees north and 43 degrees south, which is mostly covered in ocean and unpopulated areas.

[​IMG]

China's 8.5-ton space station will crash into Earth between October and April 2018

China's space agency has informed the United Nations that it expects its 8.5-ton Tiangong-1 spacecraft to crash into the earth in the next couple of months.

For those not convinced a space station isn't going to come crashing down on them, the chance Tiangong-1 falls on a populated area is estimated at 1-in-10,000.

"There is a chance that a small amount of Tiangong-1 debris may survive reentry and impact the ground," Aerospace says of Tiangong-1's descent. "Should this happen, any surviving debris would fall within a region that is a few hundred kilometers in size and centered along a point on the Earth that the station passes over.

"The map below shows the relative probabilities of debris landing within a given region."

[​IMG]
    A majority of the spacecraft is expected to burn up upon reentry into Earth's atmosphere, but some chunks weighing as much as 220 pounds could hit the surface. Predicting where any debris could hit is next to impossible, according to Harvard University astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell. "

Irminsul and GLENGLEN like this.
  2. Unomike

Unomike Been there, done that.

Reminds me of the Skylab reentry back in July 1979. Most burnt up. Some pieces fell around Perth, Australia. But no injuries. Was a big deal back then.

3. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

Buy the strongest umbrella you can find or move into a cave. Everything in earth orbit is coming down sometime, probably in small pieces or as ash after burning up during descent.

4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I remember this well. I was installing a stereo in a doctor's beach house near Bodega Bay. I was wiring up every room in the house and since the main driver was a Crown 300W 2-channel laboratory amplifier (10hz-100,000hz) it was most awesome. So I was working out problems with the turntable feeding back (rumble) and finally managed to get it right, so I whipped out my Tomita album and played The Great Gate of Kiev.

When it got to the crescendo, I raised the volume until you could hear it all over the neighborhood. It sounded like aliens were landing and his gardener/stoner buddy came in afterward to tell me he thought it was Skylab falling.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

more chance of getting hit by a meteor

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

More chance of getting donked on the head by cocout.

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Acoustic feedback.? Was it by any chance a Garrard 401 turntable. Once mains frequency started, those things became resonant, particularly at 50hz. Every one blamed the turntable, but it was more of an amplifier of the problem than the origin.

Irminsul likes this.
  8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Naaaa, it was a LabTech. When I mounted it on a piece of thick foam, the problem went away. It was a wooden house, kind of old. The stereo shook the whole place, so feedback through the cartridge was being transmitted by the table it was on.

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

A common problem with non rigid structures. LOL
    With the Garrard, rumble was a huge problem. People tended to blame the turntable drive, however, it was the turntable itself that could easily become resonant to 50Hz, regardless of its origin.
    Most of my work was in new cinemas and theaters and we had another problem. As you may be aware, the low impedance output on the speech lines feeds back in a loop to the power transistor driver transistors in many transistor amplifiers.
    Fine at home, but in the cinema, these lines run from the projection room to the stage and can be 300 feet long. With 6 stage channels and bi-amplification to cope with 70mm film, their were 24 6mm cables. These acted as areal's and could pick up all manner of rubbish, particularly if they ran anywhere near the massive motors driving the very low speed circle extract fans.
    Another really funny problem was with a new design of power amplifier that had no frequency limiter shunts on the output and could operate into the MHz bands. The speech lines would pick up RF dependent on the cable length and start amplifying it. Since the speakers could not respond and the cones were still, Both the output transistors and the speaker coils dissipated the whole lot as heat. We once had the whole system burn out before the theater even opened.
    That was the day that I realized what was happening. Shunting the output transistors with a capacitor to roll off at 12db per octave above 20KHz solved the problems. We were rushing about like idiots soldering these capacitors into about 1,200 amplifiers all over the country.
    Prior to that, a few theaters lines were tuned to the frequency of the taxi channels carrier frequency and the AM was able to break in over the film.
    In hindsight, these problems sound very simple, but since their were so many variables, it was several weeks before the penny dropped.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Be funny if it crashed into their fake islands in the south china sea

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

is that enough mass to actually make it to the surface before being entirely vaporized?
    i have to ask if anyone has hard data on that. i don't.
    but i do kind of have my doubts.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

considering it was supposed to happen almost a year ago, apparently not.

13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Henny Penny?

I know that story as Chicken Licken.