Franz Kafka

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Art Delfo, May 26, 2006.

1. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

So I picked up this book called "The Metamorphosis and other stories by Franz Kafka." I loved it. Very surreal. The stoires are dark and funny at the same time in a way. But mostly dark.

2. fexurbis

fexurbis Member

What existential themes did you pick out from his stories and parables?

3. gratefulvegan

gratefulvegan Member

Metamorphosis is great!

4. FreindlyMuskOx

FreindlyMuskOx Member

Hey, I just read that exact book a couple months ago!

I didn't read into it enough or analyze it to pick up a lot of the themes. I had to analyze the metamorphosis for an english class like a year ago though.

5. gempoet

gempoet Member

So, by the sounds of it...you all recommend the book, right? I have never gotten around to reading it, so I've been thinking about picking it up for the summer.

6. LostLass

LostLass Member

Go with the translation by Joachim Neugroschel. It is excellent. Earlier translations miss a good deal and this one captures the nuances and the humor in Kafka.

7. Milena

Milena Member

you should all read In the penal colony, it is the best short stories by Kafka, according to me. it is a very short short story but it is so strong. you may have read it already. do you agree with me ? i also think i'm going to read letter to his father, have anyone of you already read this ?

8. Valdis

Valdis Member

It sucked for me to read his book. I got the cliff notes so I could try to talk about it in class. Supernatural Lit had some terrible reads in it. Who woulda thunk?