Fox "news."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Imagine a 100 metre race and two runners of equal potential but you only place one runner at the 100 metre line while putting the other on the 300 metre line. There is no equality of opportunity in the race.

Would it not be fairer to treat the two runners equally and allow each to begin on the 100 metre line? Is that giving the disadvantaged runner better treatment or fairer treatment?

Social and economic disadvantage can be connected to many things sometimes it is connected to race and gender or other biases and prejudices sometimes not.

The thing is that societies are artificial entities that can be built and managed to bring about certain outcomes if the desire is for a fairer and more equal society that is possible to bring about

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    hotwater and soulcompromise like this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I believe in equality of opportunity. The left believes in equality of outcome.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL as explained there is no possibility of equality of opportunity under a right wing system that promotes inequality.

Tishomingo and Flagme15 like this.
  4. erofant

erofant Members

Save your typing finger.
    I'd stay in the climate treaties.
    I wouldn't ask COMMUNIST RUSSIA on TV for help digging up dirt on any of my political opponents.
    I wouldn't lie to the American people on a host of issues.
    I wouldn't be making plans to build hotels in COMMUNIST Russia and then run for president.
    I'd listen to and take advice from real experts in my cabinet and direct advisors - not install family members with NO experience.
    I'd not accuse our FBI, CIA, NSA, DOJ, and other intelligence agencies of criminal activity or attempting a political coup.
    I'd listen to ALL intelligence briefings - and not call them liars.
    I WOULD NOT take the words of foreign COMMUNIST DICTATORS over our own U.S. intelligence agencies. I trust OUR GUYS !!!!!
    I'd gather experts in foreign affairs from BOTH sides of the political aisle to get advice on adversarial countries. I'd want the opinions of BOTH sides for balance.
    I wouldn't brag that I knew more than all the generals in the military, or all the climate scientists, or all the foreign intelligence officers.
    I wouldn't hire "the best people" and then fire a pile of them because they didn't agree with me, or wouldn't publicly praise me.
    I'd keep stability in the federal government - and not cause constant turmoil. I'd have no "revolving door" style government.
    I would NOT ridicule our foreign allies publicly. If I had a beef with them - I'd express it privately to not embarrass then in front of the world - keeping our ties strong.
    If even a hint that a new virus was breaking out - I'd gather all the REAL experts - not "yes men" - and formulate a plan based on SCIENCE from the best minds in the field of infectious diseases.
    I would NOT delay implementing that plan.
    I'd talk to ALL makers of PPE and ramp up production as soon as word of the virus broke out.
    I'd talk to ALL makers of hand sanitizer to ramp up production.
    I'd use an executive order to cut red tape and speed up the processes of securing all the necessary raw materials for the makers of PPE and hand sanitizer to get what they need.
    I'd make a national news broadcast to tell the nation what's at stake and what we ALL have to do to control the virus.
    I WOULD NOT hide the case numbers and data from the public by ordering all case numbers be sent to an agency I can control so as to hide real case numbers. I'd let the reports go to the CDC as always.
    If - for any reason - I was being investigated for something ............. I would NOT fire all the investigators, DOJ people, U.S. attorneys who are looking into my dealings.
    I WOULD NOT do anything illegal in the first place for any investigation to uncover.
    I would NOT install a rubber-stamp, "yes man" to be the head of DOJ. I'd let the career people who have served under both Democratic and Republican administrations do their jobs.
    I WOULD NOT pardon convicted criminals who were in any way connected to me.
    I'd push for a law that NO PRESIDENT can pardon himself / herself before leaving office.
    I would NOT roll back climate protections that keep pollution to a minimum.
    I'd push to enact measures aimed at a cleaner, greener future. Green energy production measures would create millions of new jobs that would actually HELP the planet - not harm it.
    I'd push to create a new agency that was focused on cyber warfare and corporate espionage - stealing U.S. intellectual property, trade secrets, etc.
    I'd hold meetings with our foreign allies and NATO to "get us all on the same page" as far as dealing with adversarial & hostile governments. Global peace being the aim.

I'd strengthen the SEC and other financial system watchdog agencies so the Wall Street power brokers and crooks within the financial industry couldn't find new ways to fleece the American people out of their retirement money, college savings, etc. That would protect ALL citizens - Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians, & Green Party folks.

I'd renew the U.S. focus on education. I'd push for roundtable discussions and get comparisons to other countries that are having great results in their schools.
    After gathering info on other educational options, I'd push to try some newer ways of classroom teaching, problem solving, "breaks" during the day for students to avoid boredom & "burn-out."
    I'd look to improve the care our soldiers get in Veteran's hospitals. Or any medical care. They put their lives on the line - they deserve better.

I'd push to create new - or improve existing - retirement plans that DO NOT CHANGE with the change of administrations. Lock in retirement plan rules that can NEVER change. I'd stop the "moving target" of constantly-changing rules and laws regarding retirement plans and how they are governed, taxed, etc. Make retirement plans RELIABLE & STABLE for retirees. End confusion for older folks.

Those are just a few of the moves I'd do differently.

Tishomingo, Flagme15 and scratcho like this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You have my vote.

erofant likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

Another one of your bullshit anaologies.

Who's to say that the runner at the 100 meter line isn't a deadbeat who doesn't care about his direction in life, and happened to be born with more assets? Being born well off doesn't guarantee success.

By this philosophy, if you have a kid make sure you don't hand down any of your wealth to him or her. Because that puts other kids at a disadvantage.

Secondly, you think that gender and race determine a person's wealth standing and chances of making it in the world. Maybe you're just a blatant racist who thinks certain people are too inept to succeed without a hand out. And that a successful white person is successful only because of his race.

Flagme15 likes this.
  7. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Russia isn't communist, it's fascist.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Fox News host Laura Ingraham trashed over very confused tweet

Fox News personality Laura Ingraham was lectured on geography and fact-checking after tweeting a story from a right-wing media agency that hysterically and inaccurately claimed the city of Toronto, Canada, was using COVID-19
    as an excuse to ban Holy Communion in Catholic churches.

Will Joe Biden do more to protect religious liberty than Donald Trump? Not a prayer,” the conspiracy-pushing conservative tweeted.

Commenters were quick to point out that Communion isn’t being banned, Toronto isn’t in the United States and Joe Biden — a Catholic — has nothing to do with either of those things.

erofant and Nitocris like this.
  9. They aired Oderus
    Urungus though

10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL so you have no rational counter arguments only beliefs?

Well the evidence doesn’t seem to back that idea up – it has been shown that actually social mobility (in either direction) is very low that people born into advantage are likely to remain advantaged and the same with those born into disadvantage. This situation has been exacerbated by neoliberal policies over the last 40 years.

Well let’s take the example of Donald Trump someone of not great intelligence with little or no aptitude for business who has only really been successful because he happened to be the son of a very rich father.

And he is a prominent example but not the only person whose inherited advantage in wealth have cushioned them from failure.

Since no person can choose to be born into advantage or disadvantage is it justified that someone born into advantage should keep exclusive rights to advantages they didn’t earn when someone else through no fault of their own is born into disadvantage?

Donald Trump wasted and lost millions of dollars that he inherited, if a decent inheritance tax had been in place part of that inheritance could have gone to finance such things as universal healthcare and free higher education, things that would have been adventurous to many people and to the wider society.

In many places inherited wealth has spent millions of dollars promoting crackpot right wing ideas that can’t even be defended by those that have fallen for them.

Again you need to look at the evidence many studies have shown that gender and race can have a detrimental social and economic impact on people. It is not bigoted to point out those problem although it is often those that are bigoted that like to try and claim that those problems don’t exist, deny it is a societal problem and instead claim it is down to the laziness or other defect of the group that is disadvantaged.

MeAgain likes this.
  11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Six’s post highlights the problem with the vocal right wing these days – they don’t have any real arguments only beliefs, for example it would have been very easy to look at social mobility, the problems with inherited wealth on society and the disadvantages that can come about due to gender and race but 6 and many right wing pundits would rather go with their beliefs, rather than look for the reality.

And it often seems like many of them even know that their ‘beliefs’ are dubious at best or even outright lies but they just don’t seem to care.

MeAgain and Flagme15 like this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It's an excellent analogy except he failed to include the series of hurdles set up at 25 meter increments which
    acts as a further impediment to success.

13. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Evidence and justification for your wild assertion ???

14. 6-eyed shaman

He’s still a racist who believes people should be treated differently according to how they look

15. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

The current resident of the white house being a good example.

Tishomingo likes this.
  16. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

You are a very sad individual how did you become so damaged?

Again you need to look at the evidence many studies have shown that gender and race can have a detrimental social and economic impact on people. It is not racist or bigoted to point out those problems although it is often those that are racist and bigoted that like to try and claim that those problems don’t exist, deny it is a societal problem and instead claim it is down to the laziness or other defect of the group that is disadvantaged.

scratcho and hotwater like this.
  18. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Claiming it so in a 'right wing' Murdoch owned rag, does not make it so. I said I want EVIDENCE not tittle tattle amongst Hephatrump's Republicans !!!

19. 6-eyed shaman

Oh yes, forget about all the black people who’ve made successes of themselves in their careers and livelihoods. Black people who have worked hard and made a success of their lives should understand they are still oppressed. Don't for one minute assume their success is their own doing. They were obviously only successful because white leftists like you allowed it. LOL

20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So your argument is that there is no racial discrimination toward blacks or sexual discrimination toward women by anyone?

erofant and Tishomingo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.