Fox "news."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erofant

erofant Members

Trud - ^^^^ I ranted about your assertion that I knew nothing about construction and was incorrect about workers buying their own supplies. They DO buy their own hand tools. Not other supplies - power tools and sundries are supplied by the contractors.The trades people I've worked with and for over those 42 years are NOT the stupid, knuckle-draggers that society seems to think they are. Most are math-proficient, well educated, reliable, articulate people. Most did VERY well in school and/or college. They - like me - chose our professions ............. we weren't relegated to them by lack of academic ability. My field is electrical power generation, distribution, instrumentation & controls. Most of us are in the "geek / nerd " category - but with the brawn to get it done. Everything from low voltage up to 66,000 volts for me personally. Tons of bookwork, continuing study, as well as the hands-on ability to install systems. Community college or the avg. trade school grads won't make it here. Much more schooling involved. YEARS of it.

I'm mostly retired from the big heavy jobs anymore - back isn't good, as is the case with so many of my crowd. If you want a taste of what we deal with, go to a supply house and try lifting a 10' length of 4" rigid conduit. Handle, bend, cut/thread & install that all day!! That'll wreck anyone's back, and that heavy stuff was mostly in my younger years.

As for the Democrat thing - I've lived long enough to see which party stands with the avg. American worker - and it's NOT the REPUBLICAN PARTY. No media convinced me - I have eyes. Your (and my) retirement money and college savings didn't take a hit in the melt-down because of Democratic de-regulation of the financial services industry - it was Bush / Cheyney's de-regulation that allowed the pirates to run amuck. When Obama pushed to get new laws written to protect the avg. American from that same wild-west Wall Street thing from happening again - Trump rolled them back or eliminated them once again with the REPUBLICANS in Congress helping in those roll-backs. I don't know about you, but I've had enough on my plate all day / every day to have to then worry about the money I've earned being safe from financial pirates who "invent" new ways to get at my money. I like having financial police / watch dog agencies to enforce those laws. There's a very good reason for the SEC and other such agencies - but the REPUBLICAN PARTY weakens them or eliminates them by budget - slashing / eliminating staff numbers. Monies lost to financial crooks are from ALL people - regardless of political affiliation. Average Republicans lose money too. Do most average Republicans like having their hard-earned money MORE at risk with de-regulation????? I'll never understand that thinking.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    granite45 likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

‘Twas a factual statement though.

Told in the form of a joke. Which is sometimes what I do. And since it’s irrefutable, you delete it.

3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Exactly the reasons to go republican over democrat most of the time! It was the democrat push to lend to unqualified buyers that broke the market in 07, not deregulation. So you're aware... But it's a complicated interweaving of a dizzying array of factors which cause the inevitable ups and downs. Republicans generally want you to keep and spend your earned money; democrats generally want to take some of your money and gift it for you to people who haven't worked for it, depriving you of the choice.

I was on the design side, coming up with electronic circuits and laying out the boards for them. I worked in test equipment, aircraft instrumentation, and industrial chiller control boxes. 480 3ph was the max I personally dealt with, but that's high enough for me. 66kV will fry you for just looking at it wrong.

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

It was dumb and silly ‘joke’ like far too many of your posts these days – shall we have it again

LOL Come on then – explain it – this is the rock on which you wish to stake your brilliance – explain your thinking?

Wow us

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I studied this a little...

So, which was it? The lending to the needy in the name of equal opportunity, or the securitization of mortgage backed securities (a total fail that should never be), stock pools, etc.?

I feel like had they regulated stock brokers and properly audited mortgage backed securities they would have seen the grandiose error! These people default = money in the tank!

It's a little bit of a stretch to blame democrats for mortgage backed securities. If you think lending to the needy in the first place was the mistake, I don't know where to begin and we've found a stalemate.

6. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Everything contributes in some aspect, but as a banking business, you don't lend to the "needy"!! That's just stupid. You lend to qualified borrowers who stand a good chance of repaying. The "needy" are gifted by the government taxing the ones who have diligently avoided being needy. Used to be they were helped by church goers but the needy didn't like being known by their helpers. Now they can take from others and be a lot less ashamed of it because of anonymity.

One day you'll try to get a mortgage and you'll find out what it means to qualify.

7. soulcompromise

I disagree. I think the best policy is to allow the needy to borrow; perhaps at a government subsidized interest rate or something. Not the predatory lending we saw with skyrocketing interest rates after the introductory rate ended. It caused defaults. There's no denying it. Predatory lending was partially to blame for the entire crisis. Presumably, a family was allowed to sign up at the low rate which they could afford. It's fine for a year, then while the payment stays the same the penalty for non-payment, in this case the interest, presumably made default more probable.

I don't know what happened in every case, but I blame the predatory lending, the subprime mortgage backed securities, and lay no blame on the democrats' desire to provide home loans to the needy.

Sub prime lending is difficult to understand. There was some literature about micro business loans for low-income candidates in India. Something about a yogurt business... I can't remember right now what that has to do with it... Someone was I think using the microloan program to provide a sort of yogurt service for those who couldn't usually afford snacks in India. It was an interesting journey into altruism, but also highlighted the need for microloan programs.

That's as much as I know.

EDIT: I think this guy had some influence in the aforementioned literature. Muhammad Yunus - Wikipedia

I can't remember if he authored or what, but this Wiki is interesting anyway...

P.S. This might be the book.... It was long ago, when I was unhealthy, but I remember the reading somewhat.

https://www.amazon.com/Creating-World-Without-Poverty-Capitalism/dp/1586486675
    [​IMG][​IMG]one of these... Lol. :D

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  8. erofant

erofant Members

A thin-air assertion. De-regulation weakens / de-funds / eliminates the policing agencies and people who are charged with guarding the Wall-Streeters, investment banks, banks, mutual fund companies, etc. Without the "watchdogs" - the crooks & pirates come out of the woodwork. And REPUBLICAN George W. Bush was president from 2000 to the end of 2007 - so in two terms BUSH didn't do ANYTHING to protect Americans from the criminal financial dealings. If "bundling" mortgages and selling them like regular securities was what led to the financial meltdown ..................... why didn't George Bush and his administration take corrective actions??? And Bush was the one who began the "bailouts" of banks and financial institutions ................. NOT Obama. Obama's hand was forced because of the crisis that began under George W. Bush. If Obama's Fed Chairman hadn't made the recommendations he did, and Obama set them in motion - we'd have been in a DEPRESSION .................... instead of a recession - as bad as that was.

I have a personal friend who is a banker. As that financial crisis unfolded, he told a group of us at a baseball game that loan applicants were being told by other bankers that they should write "Doctor" in front of their names so the loans would fly through. No background checks needed. How can you refute what that man told us??? Those bankers weren't Democrats!!! They were hard-line REPUBLICANS. I know some of them!!! They CHOSE to tell the loan applicants to write "Doctor" in front of their names on the applications.

You ARE NOT talking to an idiot here, Trud. If I see bear tracks in snow ...................... no one will convince me a mouse made the tracks.

I thought you said you were in residential home building. What's with all the circuit board / design / electronic claims???

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Do you desire equal treatment to everybody? Or do you feel that certain races and genders are entitled to more than others?

You can’t have it both ways.

Now you have it. I just explained my joke. If you still don’t understand it, then I can’t help you.

10. soulcompromise

I feel like because we're playing catch up at this juncture, though your point is valid, we need to give most of our attention to the neglected.

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I understand it hurts when your worldview is put in doubt. But break away from your exclusive news source, probably CNN, and see what the other side is saying. You're obviously not dumb, you just have blinders on. You've been brainwashed by that one side that the other side is evil and you shouldn't listen to them. Maybe you're running in a social circle of left-only news watchers where the feat of the day is who can talk the most "woke". But don't be embarrassed, it's happened to many many people. They play on your emotions and make it easy to be deceived. But now, armed with that knowledge, what you seek out and discover from here is totally on you. Both sides have issues, but anyone continually berating others who are genuinely trying to improve lives, well, that individual has personal issues. Doesn't sound like the bandwagon a guy like you wants to ride to the end of the line, but it's your ball to play.

12. erofant

erofant Members

^^^^^^ You're shittin'.................... right??? If you support Rump .............................. I'm not the one with the blinders on.

13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

^^^^^^^ What are you suggesting, that a career politician already in the early stages of dementia now is the better choice to start leading the country come next January?????
    Ummmm...

14. soulcompromise

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're referring to Vice President Biden. :D

I honestly do think that he would - all things considered - make a fine leader for this country, yes.

But with that same honesty, I truly do not feel that the President has done an adequate job in our highest ranking position.

15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

What would you do differently?

Top thing.

16. soulcompromise

I'm generalizing, but I would lean in and truly make an effort at appearances that is more conducive to a, for lack of a better term, media-worthy persona.

17. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I get it.
    Well if that's your biggest complaint, you should be pretty happy overall!

18. soulcompromise

He doesn't appeal to me in the media overall, though. I cringe... lol.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I understand.
    Take a listen to his accomplishments, though.

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Sorry but it’s clearly you that don’t understand the concepts or the methods.

I mean read through what you said, did you think before posting?

If the desire is a more equal society in one that is unequal – how do you bring that about more equality?

Think about it….

You wish for a society where everyone has a more equal opportunity of fulfilling their potential, how would you do that?

Think….

So say you have a society in which there are advantaged and disadvantaged people all having the potential of fulfil their potential but not the equality of opportunity to do so - because of that advantage and disadvantage.

What do you do to widen equality of opportunity to all?

Do you think maybe the best way is to allow the disadvantaged more access to the advantages the advantaged already have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.