Fort Wainwright anyone?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jeany_1976, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jeany_1976

jeany_1976 Member

We just moved here from Kentucky and are looking to make some new friends....

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sorry I'm down south in the Seward area, but "freein alaska" lives about 20 miles outside Fairbanks in Happy Valley.
    Havn't seen him on the forum lately, but I havn't spent a lot time here recently.
    ......................Alaskan......Dennis

3. Serg_xxx

Serg_xxx Banned

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hi jeany 1976, I live just north of Fairbanks in the Goldsteam Valley area. How's everything treating you so far up here? It's been a fairly mild winter so far, but it's been staying pretty cold for the last week or so. Got any questions about the greater Fairbanks area? Welcome.

5. Seashell

Seashell Member

Hey, there. I replied to you in another thread, but I'm not sure if you got it. My husband and I live in the Fort Wainwright area. We live off post, in Fairbanks. How are you liking Alaska? I have to admit, I'm not to fond of it. LOL. Oh, well, what can you do?? Are you working anywhere?

6. freeinalaska

Hello sheshell. Sorry to hear your not digging Alaska. It has been pretty freaking cold the last few weeks. What area have you guys ended living in here in Fairbanks? What don't you like?

7. Seashell

Seashell Member

We live off Cowles St, actually, so not too far from Ft. Wainwright. My main problem is it's just SO COLD!! LOL. I've never experienced anything like this before. It got down to -49 one day last week, I think. Also, I've had a hard time adjusting to how it's dark so much during the day. It's dark when I go to work, and it's dark when I leave. But, I'm trying to stay positive (it doesn't sound like it, but I promise, I am!!), and it's only a few more years. I'm just looking forward to looking back on this. :)

You've probably said before, but whereabouts do you live?

8. freeinalaska

We live on 10 acres in the Goldstream Valley not to far north of town.

Yeah it's usually the dark and cold the get people down. That 49 below shit is just brutal. The daylight comes back just soon enough for me to not get wacko. There is a little glow on the horizon when I drive to work in the morning and in just the last few weeks I drive home in some light, so that helps. Just remember that the equinox is March 21/22 and after that the light swings the other way and we start to have more daylight that the lower 48.

9. Seashell

Seashell Member

Thank God. I'm so excited. LOL. :) Thanks!

10. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

When I was in the army I was stationed at Fort Wainwright. A group of us used to hang out with the local pot heads. That was 89-92.

11. Seashell

Seashell Member

LOL, that might make it more tolerable.

12. Alaskan

Seashell : march 21st is also called the 50/50 day. Half daylight half dark. Keeps getting better until June 21st. the longest day of the year, in your case 24 hours.
    Its kind of cool when you can sit outside at 2 AM and read a newspaper.
    You'll adjust................Alaskan.....

13. Seashell

Seashell Member

That does sound pretty nifty; if I can make it that long, it'll be awesome! LOL. No, you're right. I'll get used to it. It's just such a drastic change. Thanks!

14. Alaskan

Sebove and ashell: Count your blessings with the cold weather. Here it's 38 above and
    raining. Makes getting around pretty dangerous walking on the ice covered with water.
    I went down to my knees yesterday and got soaking wet.
    Wish to hell it would stay below the freeze mark.
    Think you ought to by some good rubber boots for breakup. Xtra-tuffs are the most popular. The brown ones you'll see everyone wearing.
    Have a good winter and spring.......Alaskan

15. Seashell

Seashell Member

Thanks, Alaskan. I'm just counting the days til spring, but I see what you mean. It will be rough when it starts getting warmer and snowing or raining on top of what's already on the roads. Ah, well.

16. Psychedelic_Ray

Psychedelic_Ray Member

Hey guys got up here back in may of 08, moved from Florida lol, but anyways the deployment got made me pretty depressed. So when are oct leave came i went to Amsterdam, It was great but i still didn't find my center, so over Christmas break i did a lot of meditation. So now im finally back to my happy self. So any other hippies wouldn't mind just hanging out. The other day did some tie-dye and lets just say not to many ppl in the army want to do it lol. Cant w8 to get out