Forgot to Plugin the Crockpot

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Noserider, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Just got a text that I never plugged in the crockpot this morning before leaving for work. A pork roast has been sitting out on the counter all day. It took me two goddamn days just to prep the thing! The seasoning, the searing--all for nothing! Now we have no dinner and nothing else defrosted.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, and it probably is, but is this thing salvageable? Or is it insane to even think about cooking it now?

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Hmmm...I wonder if it'd be okay seeing that you seared it?

3. Noserider

That's what I was wondering. I seared it last night and put it in the fridge. But it was just seared, not cooked.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

how warm was it inside the house. Its probably fairly safe since the seasoning cured it too. I leave roasts out all the time.

5. Noserider

70ish? Not hot, not cold

6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Hey, I just looked this up, and a cooking website seems to think that you're okay, if the meat was seared first, and marinating? Apparently, you're not alone in preparing the meat, and forgetting to plug in the crockpot. ;)

7. Noserider

According to what I'm finding online, there is no real answer other than, throw it out just to be safe. But at the same time, some people are saying you're taking a risk, but the odds are still in your favor.

8. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've done that before as well. I'm so glad that my wife does 95% of the cooking now

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont know if its safe, but I know what I would do in that situation - cook it and hope for the best. Unless it had turned a funky color during the day

10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Yea. I mean, Idk. If it were me? I'd throw it out, to be on the safe side, but it's weird that some are okay with cooking it on high for 5 hours, and giving it a try. That would be a stupid way to die, so I say...don't eat it.

Go out to dinner. You live in CA, which is thee best place ever for restaurants. Why are you cooking, anyway? :tearsofjoy:

11. Noserider

Because we spent a small fortune over the past week. ;)

12. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I see. So what are you going to do with this meat? Idk, sounds a little risky.

13. Noserider

Well, I have to head home. It's been cooking for about a half hour now on high, so I'll see when I get there. I may find it to be too much of a psychological hurdle even if I was guaranteed it was safe to eat.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The other day I was dehydrating some new jerky batch and my miss plugged it into where my usb charger usually is and I didn't notice so I flicked the power off. For hours my jerky was not dehydrating.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

It will be just fine. Enjoy ..

16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I'd eat it. Unless it smelled funny.

17. Jimi Smacks

Jimi Smacks Newbie

If it’s bad it won’t stay with you long.

McFuddy likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ive had deer meat hanging for 4 days outside 50s to the 70s. Some other people wont do that. 30s to 50s maybe . usually they get their meat cut quickly. but Id no problems with a few days in said spoil temps. :shrugs:

19. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I think you should just order a pizza.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

id be willing to bet it was on a butchers table for a lot longer at near room temperature. still good for consumption. . (kkknmjmkjj*o

wilsjane likes this.