Foreign Language

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Duncan, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you have a foreign language in school? Were you ever able to use it?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I failed Spanish 3 years in a row....

3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I took Spanish, but am brain damaged and forgot all of it immediately. Only public schools can insist you memorize the fucking encyclopedia knowing damned well you will forget it all in a year at most. The real reason they do it, is because the amount of working memory you have is the only reliable criteria for assessing anyone's career potential. Rather than helping all their students meet their potential, schools merely promote them according to the amount of working memory they possess, and then complain their students lack critical thinking skills, when one in five of their students insists the sun revolves around the earth.

The only fucking words I wanted to learn in Spanish are all cuss words.

4. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I had Italian in grade school, Spanish in junior high, and Regents Spanish the first year of high school. I learned German on my own from books and took a year of French my senior year. Never went anywhere with them, but I hear Spanish pretty much every day and I can usually get the gist of 80-85% of what I read in German papers online.

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

It’s the damn gendered nouns that get ya

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I want to take Spanish if only so that I can travel to Spanish speaking countries. Ibiza here I come!! :sunglasses:

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

wish i was better at learning them. slightly misguided schools, when i was in grade school, taught castilion, or tried to.
    now there were a lot of chicano speakers, but no one spoke castilion. and no, chicano isn't just slang castilion.
    these are very different languages, much more so the american vs british 'english' and more like the degree of difference between castilion and portugese!
    pokito claro.

now when it comes to terminology involving anything to do with railroading, and by extension industrial production, i do know a fair amount of words in several languages,
    but even added up, this is not of such a nature as to be able to carry on a conversation, even exclusively among rail fans.

futsu kidosha gasuki des.

8. I know a few foreign words

YouFreeMe likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what i do wish was taught in all schools, was indiginous languages. whatever language is/was indiginous, right there, where each different school is actually located.
    along with the real history to go with it too. and not just the first contact disasters, but what their particular individual cultures were actually like before that.

(there are 574 american languages, english is not one of them!)

10. wooleeheron

All the tribes are dying along with their languages, along with the small towns, family own farms, fish, plants, insects, etc. If the modern military industrial complex were a bulldozer the earth would be flat by now.

11. parua

parua Members

I'm just hoping I don't see any of my coworkers posting here.

Edit: oops, wrong thread!?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not quite that simple.
    more like jewish holidays:"they tried to kill us, we're still here, lets eat".

13. wooleeheron

The banks never sleep, the military never sleeps, and the computers and robots never sleep either. Jews only observe holidays when their ass or money isn't on the line.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i mention jews only because of this saying and because like indiginous people, they have experienced genocides.
    banks, military and computers, get their marching orders from culture, and all of us create culture by our choices of priorities.

(and no culture or perspective ever competely dies. it just gets burried under an avalance of subsiquent experience. and sometimes the semi-forgotten gets unburried, and/or needs to, for survival value at least, and often a good deal more then that)

(there are no 'rights' of conquest, only wrongs, both moral and logical)

15. wooleeheron

LOL, banks and militaries take their orders from whoever can control them, otherwise, the money takes on a life of its own which, increasingly, is automated and obeys fuzzy logic. Without guns, ya got no money worth mentioning, while without money your guns become more valuable. Call that "cultural" all you want, sounds like a marketing term to me, unless you consider Three Stooges slapstick culture.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i had spanish in high school and college. the only time i ever really used it was when i would get drunk with one of my college friends and we would converse in spanish just for the hell of it.

i don't remember much of it anymore, although i can usually kind of figure out what people are trying to say when i see written spanish.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My language class was German.. I could speak better German than the teacher, just moving from there.

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Spanish--wish I knew more of it, but I have found it very useful.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I learned and have since forgot Spanish. I used it a few times working as a Lead at Target during college.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sie Sie
    No no I clean I clean