for those of you

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by joo kyle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

who hav'nt discovered patti smith...you're missing out on one of the most amazing things to happen in the universe.

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I like her, but sometimes I think she just lacks something... I mean, I don't really see anything special about her... same way with her old guitarist and band. It's always feels like they're just trying to be Fleetwood Mac and her guitarist is trying to rip Neil Young and Peter Green/Lindsay Buckingham off at the same time.

Just a straightahead rock diva, to me... though she has alot of bottom end.

I hope you can change that... :D

I do like her stuff she does nowaday and that acoustic version of Because The Night, with her son...

To be honest, I actually like her current bassist's stuff (Tommy Shannon), better than her own.

I'm actually on a Wilson Pickett fix, right now... :D. I've also been listening to Ray Lamontagne today. This was recorded in 1968... Pickett's cover of Hey Jude, back when Duane Allman was a session guitarist in Muscle Shoals, Alabama and played for him and Aretha Franklin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzmXL821mKM

I friggin love Wilson Pickett. He just blows my mind with his vocals. By the way, this song was the reason Eric Clapton got Duane to do the slide part on Layla and work with Derek and the Dominos... led to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVwxwUnsWM --which is why Derek Trucks is touring with Eric Clapton right now.

3. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

i know not much of this pattie girl.

i did however listen to fleetwood mac's rumors today. i didnt realize that i have heard every song in every different part in my life :confused:

4. Orsino2

Yeah, I'm the same way when I listen to them. :D It's like.. I remember back before I knew what fleetwood mac was and I remember hearing all of the songs at some point, just because they're one of those bands... you know. Just of those classic rock bands that get airplay all the time and a lot of mainstream credit, but they've always been good all around. I intentionally put my pickups in backwards on my Les Paul when I first bought it and they ended up going out of phase... which is the same thing Green did, before I knew how he was, so I've always loved his tone.

I really prefer the Peter Green-era. He was an amazing band leader.

5. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

I never really liked fleetwood mac except mabey a few choruses they did.

6. Orsino2

Me neither, to be honest... but Fleetwood Mac has two very different sides.

I just can't stand Lindsey Buckingham's ways, so much.... they seemed watered down compared to Greenie's era and the whole Yardbirds schtick, after Clapton moved on from them. And I think Clapton was best during his John Mayall days.

What's the best Patti Smith song, in your opinion? :eek: or version too... I've been looking up more of her stuff.

7. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

I'd would agree. Although I really liked cream, it was pretty much jack bruce coming up with everything. I will say besides some claberations, clapton has'nt had anything good that's been orginal since cream.

8. Orsino2

Yeah, EC said he thinks a lot of his Cream stuff was overhyped... but I really don't think he's done anything original since then either, besides his collaborations. He and Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker... they're just mindblowing as a blues/jazz sorta trio.

I do like his Derek and the Dominoes era, but that's just because Duane was there for that...

What I really wish is that Buddy Guy and John Mayall and Clapton get together and do a project together, but Buddy Guy and John Mayall are in their 70s now... though still good as ever. I think one of the best experiences I ever had was going to Buddy's Legend's blues club/restaurant, in Chicago, while I was staying there, waiting for my aunt to arrive in Chi-town... I felt like getting out of O'Hare.

That man is just a trip.