For Americans only...where else would you..

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by USNavyDeadHead, Jan 2, 2005.

1. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Okay, so I see so many people on these forums bitching and complaining about the US and how horrible our government is. Thats OK because one of the things that makes this country great is the fact that we have the right to bitch and complain without fear of soldiers coming in and taking us out of our beds because we openly disagree with the government.

My question is this: Where else would you want to live? Is there a county where the politicians are not corrupt and out for personal gain? Do you REALLY hate it here so much? If so, do you do anything about it? Do you exercise your right to vote every year? Participate in local government, town meetings, etc.? Do you write your representatives and tell them how you feel? Or do you just like to sit at your keyboard and bitch?

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

And the rest of us can't complain about our respective goverments without fear of this!?! To be honest I be more worried about expressing my resentment in America than I would in Ireland. At least over here I don't have to worry about any secret service keepin and eye on me and cynicism is seen as healthy over here.

3. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

there are many many places i would prefer to live...i do not hate it here cause i do not hate anything... i think their are countries far more concerned about their citizens then being the world police and making asses out of themselves all the time as we have...our flag is the most hated flag around the world and there is a reason...we are an egotistical country...i do not dislike our country but i do not agree with many of its policies...i do not agree with strongarming our way into war...i do not agree with the fact that we want everyone around the world to have moments of silence for planes going into our trade centers and we cant even acknowledge the tragedy another group of countries has for four days....
    i dont think that there are necessarily any people in a position of power anywhere on the globe that aren't corrupt...afterall they are where they wanted, a position of power and power wants more power...and will do whatever to get it...
    but is america bad...no...i enjoy my freedoms...i just wish they all were what they proclaim to be...
    do i vote? yes, i am not someone who just moans and groans without trying my best to make things the best for me and the world at large....just cause i disagree with somethings doesnt mean i dislike the country....think about it, do you agree with everything a friend does? hardly, but you dont dislike your friend just cause you disagree with them...its kinda like that

4. Spacer

Marie, great post, you should come live in Ireland, an English speaking country, loads of lovely healthy countryside, all your freedoms minus shitty American politics. :D

5. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Okay. Maybe you didnt understand. This is for people who live here. You cannot base your opinions on what you see on TV bud. If anyone is more full of shit than politicians it is the media. Sorry.

6. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

Such as????

7. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

By the way I have visited Ireland and Scotland. You do have a wonderful country. Your people were friendly and your beer is fantastic. But I wouldnt want to live there.

8. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

ireland,lol(my folks just got back from there in october) canada, australia, new zealand
    i dont know much about all the countries...i havnet been there...so i cannot judge with experience behind it just with anticipations...

9. Spacer

Fair enough but I still know that anyone can voice their political opionions over here without any fear of anything happening to them and this is the case all over Western Europe. Your post gave the impression that the only place in the world with freedom of speech was the US.

10. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

And is it our fault that so many people died in Asia? Did we cause the earthquake? You would think so from all I have read. Yes we expected support after September 11th. That was an act of man not a force of nature. The victims of the WTC were MURDERED. And it wasnt just Americans that died that day folks. I dont agree with the war in Iraq personally, but if the terrorists had left us alone we wouldnt be at war now.

11. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

I never said that we are the only place with freedom of speach. Did you see that anywhere?

12. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i dont feel that i blames us for the earthquake...as i read my reply i see nothing that states that....i was speaking of our response to it...there is a difference...or do you just wanna get mad cause you feel people are dissing the good ol U S of A...
    well if you are to play world police, you have to help in crisis as well..policemanship is about stopping criminals as well as helping those in need. that is all i said...

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

thats funny you use that as an arguement yet pull your ideas of what i am saying out of my post when that isnt what i said either:)

14. Spacer

They would argue if you kept your troops out of their countries it wouldn't have happened in the first place, the constant uneeded presence of American troops in Saudi being their main gripe, also what have terrorists got to do with the war in Iraq, that was to remove a dictator who had nothing to do with 911. Also I dunno who blamed America for the SEA disaster, it's not Americas fault but as self-proclaimed world do-gooders I think they should have reacted faster and better to be honest all western Countries Europe, US, Australia etc are all just as guilty on that count.

Also I said you gave the impression that the America was the only country that had freedom of speech, obviously you didn't mean it I just picked it up wrong, my apologies.

15. USNavyDeadHead

USNavyDeadHead Member

I was not necessarily refering to your post. I apologize. I have noticed a few poeple on here acting as if we are just turning our backs on the whole situation. I think that it is our obligation to help those in need and we ARE doing so. Yes maybe we should have reacted faster. I am not trying to say we are perfect. Far from it. My main question was not about war or earthquakes or who is sending more aid the fastest. Is this such a bad place to live? I voted for Kerry myself because I think we need a change in the administration and I hate seeing our guys getting killed everyday in a place where we are obviously not wanted. And I am not mad that people are "dissing" the US. I just wonder if anyone appreciates how good we actually have it here.

I understand that there are things in this country we need to change. But at least we have the ability to change them.

16. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I would love to move to the UK, but I applied for dual citizenship and couldn't get it so I could never buy a home over there. I feel the same way about the US as I feel about san diego-the only thing I like is the weather and the beaches. As for goverment I think UK, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark have a way more evolved goveremnt and actually take care of their citizens.

17. Spacer

Sweden especially so from what I've read, the only problem for an America there is the language barrier. Also Sweden have very harsh drug laws, probably the harshest in Europe and worse than the US.