Footwear or bare feet in PE at school?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Geoff Blount, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Geoff Blount

Geoff Blount Members

Did you wear footwear or go barefoot more often in indoor PE at school.

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I always wore sneakers.

Do school locker rooms still have showers ? I think that is the stupidest thing, how "dirty" does anyone get throwing a ball around for 30 minutes ? I think the shower after gym class thing was invented by gym instructors who liked seeing kids naked.

Also at big gyms like LA Fitness, always those people with that insist on making a big production in the locker room, what the hell, can't you just go home and take a shower ??

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Haven't you asked that before?

In elementary school, it was common. Later in high school sports shoes were actually obligatory, but there was the rule that barefoot gymnastics was compulsory for those who had forgotten (*lol*) their shoes. When I was 15 years old I changed to a boarding school, where I went barefoot a lot and finally gave up shoes completely for two years. Here I was of course always barefoot in sports lessons.

I think barefoot gymnastics is the better choice. It's safer, you perform better, it's more fun and you save money.

Mobius_Stripped likes this.
  4. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

If you train right, you try hard. I don't want to go home sweaty and bother the people I meet with my body odor. And besides, the showers don't cost anything there, while I have to pay for the hot water at home.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's what I always do. A bunch of guys don't and I can barely understand why not. The only logical thing I can think of is not wanting to get the car sweaty. I prevent getting the car/seatbelt etc. all sweaty by bringing a couple of small towels in the car with me; one for the front of my shirt and one for the seat behind me/back of my shirt. My pants don't really get that sweaty.

But I agree. The locker room show is really lame.

6. RT19

RT19 Members

In school for me indoor PE was always done in bare feet throughout first and middle school. In high school then it was just bare feet for dance, drama or gymnastics.

Looking at a few responses I think this might just be an English thing where schools require bare feet inside.

7. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I went to school in the states which meant shoes at all time. The exception was in middle school which we referred as junior high, we did very basic gymnastic exercises in our stocking feet. However I remember in the fifth grade if you forgot your tennis shoes you had to take gym in your bare feet. I never did, I was way too foot shy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    RT19 likes this.
  8. barefootboy1030

barefootboy1030 Member

In my high school you had to do it barefoot if you forgot your shoes. I always "forgot" mine.

Mobius_Stripped and RT19 like this.
  9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

not everyone goes directly home after a workout...

Mobius_Stripped likes this.
  10. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Barefoot was a very common choice among the students of my school, including me too, although I wasn't yet an active barefooter at the time.

BarefootedBoy and RT19 like this.
  11. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I started going barefoot about the 8th grade, so I used PE an excuse to avoid shoes and socks, like a lot of the others.

12. Geoff Blount

Geoff Blount Members

I was probably in the 3rd year or grade when I did it, I never regretted it. So much more fun to do PE lessons at school without footwear than with.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  13. nldn

nldn Senior Member

We had footwear. Sometimes to have two sides for indoor sports one of the teams would have no top on. As for the shower question mentioned earlier, yes we had them and have done so at gyms I belong to.

14. adrianc

adrianc Members

I was at school in the UK until 1986. Footwear for indoor p.e. was often by choice, unless it was gymnastics then it was bare feet.

Noticeably when it was choice, more girls opted barefoot than the boys.

15. Mobius_Stripped

Mobius_Stripped Members

I would have enjoyed PE 100% more if I was allowed to be barefoot. Climbing that rope might have been easier. It sure is easier to climb trees in bare feet.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now that depends on the tree. i've climbed some trees where either the bark or the pine needles were beyond any bare foot's ability to defend against.

17. Mobius_Stripped

Mobius_Stripped Members

This is true. I've had more success with oaks and birches. Don't think I'd try a pine, or a maple for that matter. Too sticky.

18. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

Kids need to climb trees again, let alone barefoot.

Used to prefer maples when I was younger. The tallest trees where I lived were maples. Best view. Plus when you climb them, they make your soles stickier which helps you grip better. Unfortunately, they also make your hands stickier, which is annoying.

GLENGLEN, RT19 and Mobius_Stripped like this.
  19. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

We another note, sometimes before climbing really hard trees that would require more grip, I used to head to a maple tree first. I'd collect some of the sap in a small cup or container and head over to the hard tree in question. Then I'd use a leaf or something to lather the sap all over the soles of my feet and wait a minute so that it's sticky but not too runny. After that I would put a little extra on my toes since for whatever reason, they'd usually dry faster. I think I used to do this more often when I was little and my feet were a bit softer. Since my pain tolerance would be lower and my limbs would be too short at times to reach things with ease, the sap would really help. Once I got past the age of around 12 I didn't really need that stuff anymore. At that point you can do anything with your feet and not register much.

RT19, Mobius_Stripped and GLENGLEN like this.
  20. Mobius_Stripped

Mobius_Stripped Members

What a great idea!