folklore fairytales and fables

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by arlia, Jan 19, 2005.

1. arlia

arlia Members

im doing an art project on fairytales,i dont want to jsut do silly pictures of sleeping beauty but would like to know some stories from differnt cultures.
    two things that i am particularly looking for are stories that involve sleep,barefeet and female vunerablility

2. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

check out the idries shah fokltale collection _world tales_
    seriously...

WORLD TALES

Idries Shah

"Octagon Press, London, 1991"

"No ordinary collection of tales, this anthology was the result of extensive research that lead Shah to conclude that there is a certain basic fund of human fictions, which recur again and again throughout the world and never seem to lose their compelling attraction. In this fascinating collection, Idries Shah shares this insight with us as we read the astonishingly similar versions of tales as they developed throughout the world.

This special paperback version of World Tales concentrates on the essentials, the text of the stories, and omits the illustrations which were part of a previous edition."

"We find the Algonquin version of Cinderella; we wonder how the story of Aladdin and the Lamp was found in Wales, and then, perhaps, taken to the East where we now know it.'
    --Robert Ornstein"

3. The Beige Bomber

The Beige Bomber Member

Try and find out about the Norse legends. Theres lots of Apocalyptic foretellings, and lots of creatures. Also, it's defiently a male dominated fable, so theres lots of female vulnerability. Perhaps you would also want to research the Shinto folklore of japan. Just a thought.

4. arlia

arlia Members

Thnaks I Will See Wht Ic An Find!