Florida's Stand Your Ground laws benefit blacks....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sig, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Ahh, ok, so I was correct in my assumption then.

2. Individual

Individual Senior Member

I find no problem with the "Stand Your Ground" law as written in Florida. I don't know how it's worded in the other States who have a similar law.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Some support the ‘stand your ground’ laws (notably those that are gun advocates) but are such laws good for a society?

I mean is it actually getting to the causes rather than just trying to tackle the symptoms

In the Zimmerman case it seems to have been the spat of robberies in the area that had got Zimmerman fired up, but if there had not been those robberies or they had been much more limited – the incident probably wouldn’t have happened.

My question would be why all the robberies?

In the Tony Hayward - Jyron Miles. The problem seems to have been fear, one side feared that a person reaching for a pocket was going to pull out a gun and shot first – but the other person didn’t have a gun.

Wouldn’t it be better t to try and reduce the level of fear?

In the Earl Jackson case (sorry I mistakenly called it the Chuck Hobbs case earlier) in this the incident seems to have been a gang shoot out, and the man had previous convictions that meant he wasn’t allowed to carry a gun.

In this case also its clear that ‘stand your ground’ is getting used as a legal ploy were lawyers throwing it in just in case it can be used as a defence. In Jackson’s case it worked he was found not guilty of murder although the gun possession charge he was convicted on got him twenty years.

I’d ask what is being done to tackle gangs and why are criminals getting access to guns?

And in the Marissa Alexander case, this was a domestic dispute (between husband and wife) and adding guns into such things can’t be a good thing its emotionally fraught moments where people are likely to act in the spur of the moment and without thinking of consequences. She only shot in the air and got a 20 years mandatory sentence and from what I’ve read she possibly would have been better off shooting him dead and later claiming she’d thought he’d been reaching for a gun and I’m sure if I’ve thought it others will be taking note.

There has to be a better way.

From these examples to me such laws as ‘stand your ground’ are not anything about tackling crime but only the symptoms and could make things much worse.