Florida Keys

Discussion in 'Florida' started by HuckFinn, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

We're spending Christmas with my parents in south Florida this year, and we'd like to check out the Keys for a few days. Reasonably priced hotels seem nonexistent, but I finally found an affordable bed and breakfast in Key West. The owner told me that the beach is not a major attraction and that the sand is actually imported from India! My friend who lived in West Palm Beach for a while told me that the ocean around Key West is disgusting, because the island has no sewage treatment plant. On the positive side, I hear that the drive is spectacular and the night life pretty interesting. Then again, my friend said he was grossed out by the female impersonators he saw there.

Any thoughts?

2. Cobain42o

Cobain42o Member

If your able to, try snorkeling or scuba diving a little off the keys. They have nice clear blue water out there and its really beautiful. Sorry I cant give anymore info since the only time ive been to the keys i went scuba diving but boy did i have a blast!

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

My friend would dispute the presence of "nice clear blue water," at least around Key West. He says it's completely overgrown with kelp, fed by the continual raw sewage discharge. Maybe you were in another part of the Keys?

4. sugarbee

sugarbee Member

The best beach on Key West is Fort Zachary Taylor , no kelp there and beautiful blue water! Smathers beach is probably what your friend was talking about.

The night life is great; have fun doing the Duval crawl!

5. Cobain42o

Cobain42o Member

We went by boat a little ways off Key West and I assure you there was clear blue water or we wouldn't have chose to gone scuba diving in the area.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Could somone send me a hi res pic of the Scrub Club? THe owner is living here with a convicted pedophile, and I'd LOVE a recent shot of the club to use in the paper.
    PM me if you can.