First Time Washing Dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Shampoo7, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Shampoo7

Shampoo7 Members

Okay so I literally came home from school yesterday and was like okay I want dreads. I put rubber bands at the top then back combed my hair(bad apparently) then did the two strand twist method.

I want to wash my hair tomar(baking soda and water) but then what do I do after that? Do I wait for my hair to dry then Palm roll? I figured I'd just use salt and water instead of dread wax... Please reply people :)

As a side note, my hair is semi kinky but more wavy even though I'm African American.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How old are you?

3. Shampoo7

Shampoo7 Members

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just checking because we have age restrictions. Somebody will come along to talk dreads to you soon, I hope.

5. Shampoo7

Shampoo7 Members

Oh lol I was confused but ok thanks

6. Son Rai

Son Rai Members

You throw away your comb and wait two years.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My straight hair dreads were done without the band at the top with back combing enough to visualize them, then rolling and separating.
    No wax. To goopy, never gets out. For situation where I needed them to be more presentable, I used aloe vera gel to glue the frizzies down.
    I was dreading while employed in a professional situation (reporter).

Won't the bands inhibit the natural locing of the roots? Especially since you have a texture?

8. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

When I first started mine I did a bunch back comb. Actually my girlfriend started them separated with rubber bands. She then got into an accident and tore a ligament in her thumb. Eventually dreads formed behind the rubber bands and pushed them off.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. Shampoo7

Shampoo7 Members

So when you weren't using aloe Vera you used nothing? I figured I'd take the bands out after the first wash. Speaking of which, does it matter if I wash them two days after I get them done?

10. Shampoo7

Shampoo7 Members

After you wash them what is your routine?

11. Reverand JC

From what I've read you are supposed to wait about a week before you start washing your dreads. That is what I did. After the first month you are supposed to do deep cleans once a month.

I have 2 after wash drying routines I do depending on how much time I have.

If I'm in a rush. While I'm still standing in the shower I hunch over slightly so all of my dreads are kind of falling in front of my head. I grab a handful of dreads and squeeze the water out of them root to tip, then grab another handful and do the same thing. It usually takes me about 3 handfuls to squeeze them all. I wait 10 seconds and do it again. I do the whole of that about 5 times. Then I do the same thing with a towel around my head. Only in between I rub the towel against my scalp and dreads for about 10 seconds in between the squeezes to help them dry and for a little more. After that I blow dry them for 10 minutes. 5 minutes upside down to get the dreads at the base of the scalp and 5 right side up to get the upper/outer layers. That gets them mostly dry and if it's hot out it helps keep my cool as they dry the rest of the way out.

Hen I have more time I do the first 2 steps as described. Then I wrap a towel around my head and let it stay that way for 10 minutes, then I turn the towel inside out and wrap it for another 10 minutes. After that I unwrap and let them air dry for 20 minutes then do the final blow dry step from the short version.

Getting your hair dry is super important. I was not getting my hair dry enough and it started to smell like wet dog. I google searched and found out that is a sign of dread rot. I also found a site that had instructions for a deep cleanse soak to kill it.

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I've been scalp only washing for decades, so I'd say, as long as the shampoo isn't moisturizing, and you don't condition, obviously, shampooing after about five days is ok. You've got the texture that will knit more than felt, from what I gather.

13. Reverand JC

After I started doing the soaks I've noticed my dreads forming better. The thin parts are getting noticeably fatter at about a quarter inch every time I do about a 3 soak round.

C/S,
    Rev J

14. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Members

I am aiming this towards Rev J. I like the way you write about the care you are taking. I have as I wrote a full body Tattoo of my Female Golden Eagle I had the head done while I was still shaving my head the ink was done in October 2010 I started growing out my hair again in May 2012 and a full shaped beard in May 2015 from having it trimmed professionally 2 times a month now I handle my own care with a once a year plan for slight trimming (beard only). when I have found someone who wears dreads comfortably I hope to convince him or her that I love the inking and want each dread to be limited to the size of the feather. I am really excited about getting this into my routine so I know that this is right for me. Thanks to the fellow who wrote about the early Greek and North Country natives who probably had dreads long before the Africans sold their captives to America as slaves with dreads appearing in Jamaica so I ask where did they get them or what culture did the steal it from to call it their own?