First time traveling to Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by marcus, Jan 2, 2005.

1. marcus

marcus Member

Hi, I'm taking my first trip to Amsterdam in March and I'm curious about Racial relations. I'm black & American so I figure i'll probably stick out like a sore thumb. Will I come in contact with any problems simply based on race while I'm there?

2. smiley420

smiley420 Member

never been there ..... yet im goin' in feb. when u gonna b there?

3. marcus

marcus Member

March 9th-March 14th

4. smiley420

smiley420 Member

cool dude mabey we can burn 1 or 2? do u smoke?

5. velvet

velvet Banned

Amsterdam is a very racially mixed city and you'll have no problems being black.. I mean.. there are racists in every country and city so you might be unlucky and encounter the wrong person, but my guess is you'll be totally ok. You see, the racial problems in the Netherlands aren't between whites & blacks but between people from Turkey and Morocco & the Dutch (mostly muslim vs. non-muslim).. and since they aren't black the black/white issue isn't as strong here as I think it is in the US, although I might be completely wrong, being a white girl and everything. But like I said, there is racial oppression everywhere, but I think that in Holland and especially Amsterdam things are very very mellow. It's more about behaviour, esp. from tourists (those flocks of drunken english guys are annoying! ;)).. and about you being American.. well.. as long as you don't wear a T-Shirt saying "I love Bush" you'll be ok as well ;)

Really.. don't worry.. and don't think so much in 'us' & 'them'.. we're all humans you know.. unless your blood isn't red or sth ;)

6. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

You will not have a problem as A'dam is one big melting pot of all Nationalities and walks of life. Enjoy......

7. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Hey, Velevet, I'm one of those white English tourists. LOL
    Although, I do agree with you, there is nothing worse than seeing a typical English football shirt wearing stag party, although most are going to Prague now, thankfully.

8. velvet

velvet Banned

Hehehe.. NEMISIS.. I didn't mean that ALL brits are like that.. I just meant like you said the stagparty bunch that hang around Teasers.. they are just so.. well.. loud :)

Flocks of tourists are always fun to watch though.. especially asians for some reason.. they just run around trying to get as many things as possible on a picture (ofcourse they have to be in the picture themselves as well).. or they are young japanese guys hanging completely stoned at a bar somewhere.. hehe

9. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Yeh, I know you didn't Velvet. I feel ashamed of British tourists as they have a bad reputation of drinking great quantities of alcohol then start acting brash, etc. I suppose it's because we are a little repressed as a society and let go like theres no tomorrow, when abroad.

10. marcus

marcus Member

yea I smoke, thats one of the main reasons I'll be traveling.

11. marcus

marcus Member

Thanks for the information, don't have to worry about a "I love bush" shirt either. I'm sure I probably hate him more than any of you do.

12. bigloui96

bigloui96 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey guys just reading oppinions on British Tourists... some are god awful, I totally agree with you Nemesis, they give us a bad name. Not all of us wear footie shirts and enjoy starting riots!
    I was in Greece in October and encountered some drunk British lads (im sure they were about 14...) who were abusing the bartender as he only spoke Greek (quel surprise?!) Then left... leaving a trail of vomit and vandalism.
    Argh!!! Sorry but these stereotypical male group tourists really annoy me!

13. smiley420

smiley420 Member

cool we can set up a meet to burn a few ...... i've been hearin' a lot of good thing's about the "dampkring" how about there??? say's there is great hash there im goin' in FEB. but i will still be there when u get there

14. ArieStarshines

ArieStarshines Member

I'll be there on those dates as well.:)

15. marcus

marcus Member

Cool, where ya staying? Maybe we could meet up for a smoke or something while i'm there.

16. beezwax

beezwax Member

im planning a trip for sometime in march, have all my money saved up wanna stay about 5 days, still trying to figure out how to get my passport.... Marcus where are u going to be staying, wasnt sure if i should get a hotel or go the hostel route, ill be traveling alone probably, just always wanted to goto amsterdam and none of my friends are as enthusiastic about it =/

17. marcus

marcus Member

yea we're on the same boat, that's why i'll be traveling alone. I'm still on my hotel/hostel search also. I'm still considering:

The flying pig
    Greenhouse effect
    Bulldog

so I'll let you know once I make a decison

18. smiley420

smiley420 Member

the more the merrier let's get a really good smoke down goin' anybody else wanna help us make a cloud?

19. beezwax

beezwax Member

yeah i was thinkin of flying pig, had reservations there in november, when i was gonna go but had to cancel because i couldnt get off for work, but yeah id love to meet up if we went on the same days or whatever, would be a blast@!