First Soldier Guilty

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by brothersun, May 19, 2004.

1. brothersun

brothersun Member

What do you think of the first soldier being convicted and getting the max sentence. When he made a deal to share information on the others. Funny thing is nothing was said about his superiors. I believe the american goverment is saying that they acted along. So no one at fault except for a small handful. So if we are to believe this. Why did these soldiers act they way they did. Its war so people don't think straight. And where did this hate come from. Is the system at fault for painting these prisoners evil? Now its a big reality show to prove to the middle east that the justice system works. The whole thing smells bad.

2. Megara

Megara Banned

good riddance. Someone had to hang.

3. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Even IF they are 'making an example' to appease public outrage and the Muslim world - then GOOD!

Make him an example.

I hope all three get the maximum sentences AND I hope everyone of the 'higher-ups' loses their careers!

Id have been more happy to see the IRaqi's charge them and let them spend a few years in THEIR jails.

Im still angry as you can see

4. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Here's what I don't get - what "deal" did he make if he got the maximum sentence? Or is he getting the max on a lesser crime than the others? I certainly hope that ONE YEAR isn't the max for all these bastards.

5. brothersun

brothersun Member

yuppers 1 year is the max. Believe it or not they are misdemeanours, not felony.
    Which i don't get at all. Plus they lose a rank or something ) does punishment fit the crime. Strange world we live in.

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

did anyone ever take a psych class that covered this one college case study in which they were trying to examine the gaurd/prisoner mentality? left to their own devices the "gaurds" became extremely abusive and such. i can't remember it very well, but this sure as hell seems like a classic case of this situation. even if it was ONLY that psych situation (which i rather suspect they were encouraged to do it) their superiors should get some serious spankings for NOT doing their jobs and maintaining order and decent treatment for those prisoners.

to clarify, even if those gaurds were acting alone, they never should have had the opportunity to act alone in the first place, ESPECIALLY not in war time while gaurding the prisoners. and for that, their superiors should be charged. also, i would dearly like to see these gaurds pay more dearly for their crimes, and undergo some serious psych counseling before being allowed to be re-enter society at large. i know i sure as hell don't want them at MY dinner table.

7. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i think i know what your talking about mynameiskc about the psych class. they had the professor and some of the students that were part of the study on a special report type thing on the t.v when the abuses just came out. it was really scary to watch the tapes of what the "guards" did to the "prisoners" in the study. if it is true that they were giving orders, then higher ranks must be punished. those higer ranks are expected to fully know the law in that situation. the higher your rank is, the less room you have to mess up and they messed up big time.
    a 2nd LT or higher (or a high ranking NCO) getting a DUI would get dishonorably discharge, get no benefits and basically his/her life is screwed up for getting kicked out of the military;they are held to a higher standard. while a CPL getting the same DUI would only get demoted and still be able to continue a career in the military or out in the business world.

Some punishment is needed to the higher ranking NCO and Officers for what has been done.

8. mynameiskc

it may be the same one, i'm not sure. it didn't really have a military feel to it, though. but these guys became so disgustingly violent when left to their own devices, it was very disturbing. some of the prisoners were severely traumatized and had to be counselled. i think they may have sued or something. i think the lesson here is never take you eyes of people in power, even in the lower ranks. people can get very cruel. people can be even nastier when following orders. it relieves their psychic burden, kills the conscience.

9. psychedelic_unclesam

psychedelic_unclesam Member

One of my friends used to be in the military. Maybe someone can explain this in more detail, but this is the gist of the problems he had with the investigation.

Theres like 4 or 5 different levels of General's in the army.

They got like a level 2 general to do the investigation into the abuses.

Whats this guy going to do?? Put HIS superiors at fault? Not likely with the military paradigm.

If you ask me, it is just common sense that this is a public show, whitewash if you will.

Just like the 911 commission.

Its like when kids draw on paper at their desk instead of writing the essay.

No real results come of it. Just the song and dance motions.

10. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

Don't count on the U.S. military to actually provide real justice in this case. We are going to have to suck it up, I'm afraid. As long as the U.S. holds a seat on the Security Council (which will be forever), I think we won't see the law upheld (unless my understanding of the way the U.N. works is completely off base, which it may be). That's all she wrote.

11. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

So are you saying that he helped with information that led to the prosecution or whatever of other soldiers, and his deal was that he still got the maximum punishment? Don't ever let me join any kind of service. Not that I would. But don't let me.

And don't get me drunk and make me do it as a prank. I know people that know people that will break your legs and make you wish you were never born. :)

12. mynameiskc

i think it's good he still got the max penalty, though i think the max penalty is rather light. i suppose there are certain concepts taht a person not in service can't understand, both my brothers and my fathers were, and they are sickened but sympathetic.

13. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

So it was the maximum penalty. What was the crime plead? What might this soldier have been charged with? THIS is where the deal making comes in...

Umm... I don't know the answers to the questions I asked. Could someone tell me if there might have been a much worse offense to be charged with? Did they accept a plead of "guilty" to a lesser charge?

The maximum penalty thing may be a PR move to make it look as if there is a zero tolerance policy on this sort of behavior, when in reality it's only a slap on the wrist.