Finishing touches on dreads.

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by SweeperOfDreams13, May 13, 2004.

1. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

Well, they're in. Not extremely knotted up, but getting there.
    Does anyone have tips on how to get the loose tips more locked up?
    I put beeswax on them, seems to be working well.

2. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

sorry to tell you, but there really is no way. even if you spend hours and hours working the tips, they'll just be back to where they were when you wake up. it's just another part of having dreads. dealing with loose roots and tips. even people who have had dreads for years and years, still have loose roots and tips.

i've had mine for almost a year and a half now, and i still have loose roots and tips. so, yeah, not much to be done, really.
    unleeesss, you're willing to try this. when you work the tips up into the dreads, so they're all rounded at the ends, try sewing them into the dread. i've heard it works.

3. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

hm..., Just had a thought..
    Maybe you could get rounded tips by cutting off any hair at the end that wasn't locked...

4. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

that works, temporarily. then the dreads start to unravel at the ends. i've tried it before.

honestly, the only way to get them rounded, is to just palm roll the tips, day after day, and eventually they will lock up like that. myself, i don't have the patience to do that, so i let mine do their own thing.

also, you should check out www.knottyboy.com if you haven't yet. they make great wax, and other great dread products.

peace

5. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

tips dont go nappy. you might be able to see from a pic of me in the member photos, I dont know. anyways, yeah if the dreads arent old, and you cut the undready ends, they might unravel the dreaded part creating a new non nappy tip.

6. Odessa

Odessa Member

sorry, ima dick

7. serra

serra tentacle girl

i had a really weird haircut before i put my dreads in. it was really layery and the tips got really really thin. so when i put my dreads in they had extra trouble because the tips we really really long and had almost no hair in them.

i sewed some of them by folding the tip in half. as in the non dreaded part, folding it in half so the very end is to the part where the dread is actually dreaded. then i just sorta twisted and then sewed it in place.

does that make any sense at all??? sorry. it worked though. they looked really really ratty at first because there were these long stringy tips, and now they are still loose but they look about 3403842792342304 times better.

good luck!

8. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

i love beads in dreads, but not too many colored ones, i like that natural wooden beads

9. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

Look under "personal forums" in the knotty know how area. Lots of dreadie advice there.

10. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

\Yea come into the knotty know how section.

Also kill the wax, its a terrible idea, and it doesnt help knotting. If you want to know why there are many lists of reasons in the knotty know how section. i agree with inbloom, just playing with them lots. Ive had mine for just over a year and i have about 6 rounded tips the rest are loose.