Finding religion

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meliai, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Good. I have just met a few "back to god" types who are preachy.

I was raised a methodist and, like some of you, went every sunday with my folks. That ended in the military. Whatever remnants of religion that were still in me were crushed during the war.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My people used to SEND me to church when I was a kid. Not TAKE me. Right there I knew I was going just to flirt with the girls. Most fun I ever had in church was when I went to a catholic church with a girl friend and a couple of my ne'r -do-well drunken friends interupted the mumbo-jumbo by walking down the isle playing a ukelele during the up and down -up and down-up and down stuff. Where's the fun in going to church??

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I was raised going to a Methodist church until we switched to one of those new super churches (yuck.)--- I used to have fun in church. Smoked weed for the first time at a church sleep over our youth group had and used to do all kinds of crazy stuff at church w people in church... we were so bad. haha.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

haha yeah my mom used to drop me off at youth group every Wednesday night and I would skip youth group and go smoke weed with my friends.

I went to a church that doubled as a big private Christian academy. I was one of the few people involved in the youth group that didn't go to school there. Those Christian school kids were some of the worst I've ever met. They were always getting into trouble.

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Our youth group would do stuff like that right in the church.. be smoking weed, drinking beers, playing spin the bottle plus (note the plus) ... lol

crazy times really. yea those kids were so bad.

6. broony

broony Banned

I agree.

7. scratcho

Well, this may be beside the point, but everytime I worked for a PROFFESSED christian, I got dicked one way or another. I have met what I consider REAL christians---and never knew they were, unless I found out accidently. They were good people. The ones that blab about it bear keeping an eye on, at least when it comes to business.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yep... I trust people more in all aspects that are more quiet about what they are about.

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Me too.

Our youth group saved the worst stuff for weekend retreats, out in the woods. Almost as wild as college parties.

Most of us were going to church because our parents made us, not because we wanted to. My friends at school were nicer. My parents had no clue.

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The reason you can't comprehend your friends conversion to Christianity is because it is an experience based religion, not rules and regulations based.
    Every conversion mentioned in the NT was an instantaneous revelation and conversion, not some slow process of education and indoctrination.
    Why would you think it to be any different now?

Jeez... I really wish some of you would actually open the damn book and find out what it actually says rather than going by half-assed assumptions and Charlton Heston movies!

About the Unitarians...
    The UU church is a wishy-washy conglomeration of people who for one reason or another didn't buy into their religion completely, so they go the the UU church because they pick and choose what makes them feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves and discard any thing that requires harsh self-examination or fundamental change.

And like most other off-shoots of Christianity, it got started because whomever founded it didn't believe in the divinity of Christ.

That has been the sticking point for just about every other religion or child religion of Christianity.
    Mormons, Jehovahs Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, UU, etc.etc.etc.... even Islam was started based on that same denial of Christ as being divine.

They all started because they liked most everything else about it except they didn't believe Jesus to be divine.

I personally think it's rather arrogant and asinine to approach religion/God the way the UU and many other do, pickin and choosin what elements to believe.
    LOL, how lame.
    It's the buffet of religions.

and yes, I am familiar with the UU church as my wife and daughters have taught at one for over 7 years.

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

:eek: Wow! I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that last part!

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hahaha...yeah. :)

Noxious... do you wife and daughters know how you feel about it? Like, do you tell them that stuff? LOL.

13. scratcho

(to post 50)No more pickin' and choosin'? That negates freedom of thought , doesn't it? I thought ALL of life was pickin' and choosin'. Or is there no choice what to believe , other than what YOU think people should believe?

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

We don't agree with the philosophy nor are any of us members, they are strictly employees. They tried to coerce my wife and daughters to join, they refused and said that if membership and signing some paper declaring their faith was needed to work there, that they would quit.

Most of the people I have met there are very, very nice, but often woefully confused.

15. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

That's how people were on my dad's side of the family. They drop the kids off at church then go back home.

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's the opposite of a UUC.

17. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I don't know that I really NEED a church for community. My derby team is like my second family now. So, I guess roller derby is my religion. :p

18. scratcho

I went with a Portuguese girl and we planned to hitch up---until her mom mentioned having to sign a paper(contract?) stating our kids would be raised catholic. Adios, honey. I find it very hard to believe UU has some kind of fealty papers to sign. I want to see a copy of such. I don't believe it.

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I suppose, like with anything, you'll find different flavors of UUC.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You misunderstand.

Follow me on this;
    Let's assume that there is a God, all powerful, all knowing, yada, yada,.
    Let's also assume that this God gave humans instruction in the form of some writings or "scripture".
    You with me so far? We are assuming all these to be true.

Then isn't it pretty arrogant and plain stupid to then pick an choose what you want to believe or follow from these writings from God?

Honestly, if you want to be a Christian, then be a damn Christian, don't sit and pick what elements of the belief system you will or wont accept.

This same idea can be applied to most major religions, except Buddhism, but I don't consider Buddhism a religion in the same sense as Judaism, Christianity, Islam or Hinduism, the main reason being is that Buddhism does not teach about a God or any of that stuff, but rather just good, sensible life lessons. How/why it has become what it is is a little bewildering.
    Buddha isn't a God, never claimed to be anything more than a man.

So for any adherent of any religion to "pick and choose" what elements to believe is kinda lame, don't you agree, if we go with the assumptions given above, which are the assumptions most UU parishioners ascribe to.

I'm not making any claim one way or the other, just that Christianity is terribly misunderstood/misrepresented in these forums with no real chance of being given any fair representation here (look at all the conditions for posting in the Christian section).

And for any person to proclaim a faith/belief in God then say that they will dictate to God what is and isn't acceptable doctrine to follow is fucking hilarious, don't you agree?:devil: