Finding religion

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meliai, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So several friends of mine have recently found Christianity. For some reason its just really weird to me, because I've had conversations about religion with these friends before and they were decidedly not religious.

I can't really understand it. I believe in science and evolution. I just can't imagine all of a sudden "finding" God. Maybe its because I was raised as a Christian - it took a leap of faith for me to STOP believing in Christianity. I can't imagine going back to it.

I think religion is beautiful, to a certain extent, and I think all religions have value. But at the same time I find myself flabbergasted at the number of friends I have that have all of a sudden started going to church and praising Jesus.

Don't get me wrong, I can be a spiritual person at times but I guess I fall more along the lines of agnosticism.

I just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on this.

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Guilt

3. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I was also raised in a very Christian home. Both my parents are actually ordained ministers. We were at church 5 times a week. I was so "over churched" that as soon as I turned 18, I was out. That was 9 years ago, and I'm still not really sure what I believe. I just know I don't agree with organized religion.

I have nothing against Christianity. I think it's great for people who feel they need it. I absolutely hate debating the subject, because when it's all said and done, it's all a matter of perception.

I don't necessarily think religion itself is beautiful, but I do miss the sense of togetherness and belonging to what was a gigantic extended family. I will say, there's something wonderful about the ceremonious and traditional nature of organized religion.

I've had a number of friends that were previously not very religious, join the church. It's odd to me, and of course they feel the need to try to reel me in. I just always tell them in the most respectful way, thanks but no thanks, been there done that.

4. Sig

Sig Senior Member

They are probably trying to fill some feeling of emptiness. We all do it, to a certain extent.

5. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

I think religion is great for cultural purposes. The ceremonies, traditions, all that stuff is great. But when people begin to take that shit seriously and take things literally from a book that has been translated across several languages, things can get ugly.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The only thing I miss about going to church (I was raised going to a Christian church every week- haven't been back in 15 years-the day I turned 18--lol-- except a cpl Christmas's I went to make my mom happy...)- is the sense of community and how people help each other out and take trips and do different things together....
    That's why, now that I have a kid (who's at home all the time), I have been thinking more and more of taking him to church- probably a Unitarian church though- which we did go to twice- so he could be involved with other kids and all that. (the Unitarian church doesn't believe in religious dogma and you can go being a Christian, or another religion or into Wicca or agnostic, whatever... it teaches respect for all others...)

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Did they have certain experiences that changed their views?

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The last church service I went to at the Unitarian church was a huge trip for me. There was this old lady preaching who used to be a Lutheran pastor...and she went on and on for twenty minutes about how we us a country cannot be proud when we are bombing Muslim countries and our children are sitting in jail because of using drugs and this terrible, mistake of a drug war.
    Twenty minutes of that... it was crazy. I loved it. :D I didn't know where I was..."this is church???!"

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

She sounds like a fucking nut.

10. *MAMA*

I'd go to that church.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

yum..

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hahaha... I was like "she used to be a Lutheran pastor?" .... and also was thinking "she sounds like a hippy..but doesn't look like one"

I liked her, sig. :) She was cool.

The Unitarian church around here also voted to help the GLBT community and there were all these really sweet older gay guys with Rehoboth beach shirts (I love Rehoboth beach and will be on vacation there in two weeks... Rehoboth beach has a huge gay community)... but anyways, the older gay men were so sweet to Cason. :)

In any case, the Unitarian church has people who sound like hippies... but if you look around the room it's mostly a bunch of older people who just look like... old men and ladies. very funny.

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, I'm def. going back. :)

Cason just didn't take too well to the nursery. We left him there and they came up to get us because he was freaking out after mommy and daddy left. :(

So now I feel bad taking him back... but I will...soon.

He's gotta get over that shit.

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

^ ^ This is a big motivator. ^ ^

By far, the best option among churches.

15. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yep...that's what I decided. I want my son to have the benefits of a church but not the negative, scary dogma. :)

16. *MAMA*

I'm HUGE on coexistence, so that would be right up my alley. I don't think we have any churches like that around here though.

Edit: holy crap. There is one! http://www.uucasper.org/

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

if your a Muslim.. its prayer time: right meow..

18. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

You don't have any Unitarian churches around you?

I thought they were every where but then again I live in a town of 60,000 people (big town-small city) and there is only one of them.
    (and there's one that's called a Lutheran Unitarian, which to me sounds like an oxymoron....doesn't make any sense to me... lol..)-
    but the one I went to and will go back to is called Universal Unitarian. :)

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I don't know, it seems like these Unitarians are just half assing it.

20. *MAMA*

I actually found one. I'm super shocked. And definitely take Cason back to the nursery. He'll get used to it :).