Financial aid for out of country?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Soulless||Chaos, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

But you said they were hard to get into?
    It would be nice though, convince my dad it was going to cost like $30,000 a year or something, and have lots of free money... :D
    That reminds me, what sort of tests do you need to take to get in? They wouldn't take an SAT or ACT would they? :confused:

2. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

And I just realized you don't even speak any Finnish yet, so I guess there goes that idea. :( Dammit... Ahh well.
    And no, those tests wouldn't be enough. You have to go through this entrance examination, which usually means you have to read quite a few books beforehand and then there are a few questions/topics in the exam and you have to write essays about the given topics. Sounds easy enough, but there are lots of applicants and not nearly enough places in unis. :(
    To UK, you don't have to take any exams... just fill an application form and stuff like that.

3. Soulless||Chaos

What kind of info do you need for the application? Surely you need some sort of test scores or something to get in? :confused:
    Either way, I guess I better start studying...

4. Soulless||Chaos

Hmmm looks like they take SAT, but I'm not sure about the ACT.... Hopefully with a high enough score I can get in, despite my screwing around in highschool... Really makes me wish I had cared a bit more, I could easily have done so well if I had actualy bothered too... :( I was such a dumbass back then.
    I know I can score high on either the SAT or ACT though, hopefully that will be enough...

5. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

www.ucas.com

That's the site where you can find pretty much all the information about applying and also about the stuff you need to have done (tests, or whatever...) before you apply and pretty much everything else as well. :)

6. Soulless||Chaos

Ah thanks! I've found a few other sites useful sites as well... :D I'm getting quite excited about the whole idea. :D It will be a bit expensive, but not much more than I'd have spent here, and I'm sure it will be worth it.. :D I can't wait...

7. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Ohh it's definitely gonna be worth it! [​IMG] I'm sure you'd love studying in UK, it's such a wonderful country and people are so wonderful too (except maybe Tony Blair).
    WHEN (not if [​IMG]) you start filling your application, let me know if you need any help. And also WHEN (not if [​IMG]) you start choosing the universities you might wanna apply to. [​IMG]

8. Soulless||Chaos

That would be great! It will probably be a while though, I have much preparing to do before I start...
    It will be so nice to have a complete change of scenery, and to be in a much more interesting place... The U.S. south is so boring...
    Are things more expensive there? From what I read prices sound normal, until I realize it's in pounds, and near twice as much as I'm used to... :&

9. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

hehe if you want cheaper come to australia...i dont know how much it would cost but your american dollar is so much stonger everything would be close to half price! yeah....come meet the koalas and kangaroos! hehe

10. Soulless||Chaos

Australia would be interesting, but I only speak english... :rolleyes: :p
    The U.K. sounds like a good place to me, and I could easily visit the rest of europe from there...

11. clockworkorangeagain

Ha ha! Die in a hole!:mad: hahahaha

12. Soulless||Chaos

Hehe I don't speak aussie... :p

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

SHHHHHH!!!! He's coming to UK and that's it, don't try to brainswash him!! :D

Ummmm, would it be ok if I just lied and told you that everything's so cheap that it's almost FREE here...? :( Nah, seriously though... I don't think it's that expensive here. Sure, the rents are pretty high, especially in the South of England and around London, but not necessarily in other places (I'm not sure though, so don't count on that..) and other stuff... Well, a drink in a bar is around 3 pounds (5 euros... about 5 dollars? Grrr... I'm so bad at math..), for example.

14. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

RIGHT ON!! [​IMG]

15. clockworkorangeagain

haha sorry! worth a try.....................i thought drinks and food were sposed to be crazy prices over there...maybe just to my shitty aussie dollar....

i actually hate our accents...dont notice usually but when i got back from america it really freaked me out...we sound like such hobo's...so tacky

16. Soulless||Chaos

That's nearly $6 for a drink... :( Usualy $2-$3 here at a bar... :(
    I saw on one site an estimate of the average cost of living, and it was around $1000 a month.. :( It did include many thing though that arent exactly neccesary, so I could probably be cheaper... I guess it all depends, I can get loans, and hopefully my dad will help pay for a lot of it, I'd rather not have too many loans to pay off when I get out...
    I really want to go to the U.K. but there just seems to be so much to do... It would be much simpler here... :( But I don't want to go here. I want to go to the U.K.

17. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Awwww, I love Australian accent. I think it's wonderful. :) Especially when it's coming from a cute surfer boy... :D

18. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I know what you mean, but once you're in UK... it's definitely gonna be worth it. Just imagine... you can go to mainland in just a couple of hours by TRAIN. Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Budapest... wherever really! [​IMG] And just inside UK there are so many wonderful places you can go to. [​IMG]

Ohh, and even me, who spends a lot of money on useless things, can manage a month without spending 1000 dollars. [​IMG] So no worries, those estimates are always higher than the reality...

19. Soulless||Chaos

I hope so.... Those estimates were also considering someone living alone, hopefully I can get in a dorm or something, that should cut the expenses quite a bit... :D

20. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

It's Americans like you that drive me nuts in my dorm... Grrrrr :$ You people are LOUD!!!

Hahahaha, anyhooo... Yeah, it's a bit cheaper to live in a dorm, indeed. Yayyyyy, you're coming to UK!!! :D