Financial aid for out of country?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Soulless||Chaos, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Does anyone have any info on the possibility of getting financial aid for going to uni out of country?
    I'm in the U.S., but I don't really want to go to school here... Is there anyway to do it, other than just paying for it completely out of my pocket? :confused:

2. Soulless||Chaos

So I suppose no one has any info on this? :confused:

3. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

There are quite a few Americans studying in the same uni as me and most of them have gotten some kind of scholar ships. There are several different scholar ship thingys, especially for foreign students and especially here in UK. And then there are of course these student loans, but I'm not quite sure how they work in the US, so don't listen to me.. :D

Pssssst Patty, you should come studying here!! :D

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Hey at least I tried! :D

5. novarys

novarys Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

patrick where are you wanting to study?

6. Soulless||Chaos

I guess I'll have to do more research into this, I haven't found much yet... :( Thanks for trying though! :D The fact that there are some of them there is encouraging... The U.S. is so boring, I want to go somewhere interesting for university... :D I doubt I would be able to use U.S. student loans to go out of the country, but I guess I'll just keep looking...

7. Soulless||Chaos

I don't know, just whenever I've looked for a place in the U.S., none of them really interest me... :( I was thinking about Hawaii, but I don't know, I just want to go somewhere new...

8. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Well you know... Brighton is very interesting and exciting and funky. :D I'm sure you'd love it here. Plus I'M here. :p

Anyhooo... like novarys said... what do you wanna study?

9. Soulless||Chaos

Again I'm not sure, I used to know but now... It's tough trying to find a balance between what I like, and something that can make a good enough income... :( I used to want to get into genetics, or something of that sort, but I'm thinking something more like pyschology now... Theoretical physics are interesting too, but that's way too much math for my tastes... I've always been decent at it, but I don't enjoy it... That's one of the many reasons I haven't started yet, I had wanted to try and figure out what I wanted to do for sure, but all it has done is make me more indesicive...

10. Soulless||Chaos

There are way too many things I'm interested in to try and focus on one... They all seem to go together some way or another... Hahaha once I get in school, I'll probably be there for years... Too much that I want to learn... :D

11. novarys

novarys Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well then you should go to brighton then patrick:D i'm sure johanna would show you around and it would be so much fun :D

yah GO TO BRIGHTON!!!!!!!!

12. Soulless||Chaos

Still trying to figure this out.... Approximately what are the average yearly costs of attending a university in the U.K.?

13. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

It's about 8000 pounds for overseas students. :(
    Check out www.sussex.ac.uk That's the homepage of the uni I'm in and there's lots of useful info about the fees. :)

14. Soulless||Chaos

8,000 pounds all together? What's that, like $15,000? Does that include housing? :D If so, then damn, that's not too bad... :D Thanks for that link, I'll check that out...

15. Bonky

Bonky Member

remember that US have THE MOST EXPENSIVE education. where ever you go it would be cheeper a lot than you're used to. there a lot of good schools and places : Amsterdan has a great university, Paris, UK, Bruxelles... dude, just choose...
    some don't include housing though so be sure too get all the info you can

16. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

What? You don't think that's bad? [​IMG] I'm considered as a home student (coz I'm an EU citizen) so I only have to pay 1150 pounds and I think that's already robbery. [​IMG] But then again... Finland has one of the best education systems in the world but still the universities are free. They're really hard to get into though, but anyhooo... MOVE TO UK!!! [​IMG]
    Ohh, and 8000 pounds doesn't include housing.

17. Soulless||Chaos

That doesn't include housing? Too bad, but still it doesn't seem too pricey, like Bonky said, it's expensive here, the places I had been looking at ran like 15-20,000, of course cheaper would be better.... I wish I could go for 1150 pounds, thats about how much a crappy junior college here costs... :( Amsterdam or somewhere else would be cool, but I only speak english, and a bit of japanese, so I think I'll stick to the U.K.... :D

18. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Hmmmm... well I just might have a solution for that. Seeing as you're already married to me, you could just get a Finnish citizenship and therefore, be considered as an EU-citizen and then you'd only have to pay the 1150 pound tuition fee. :D

19. Soulless||Chaos

Hahaha if only that would work! :D I can't even imagine paying that little... I wouldn't have to get any loans or anything... :D

20. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Why wouldn't it work? :confused:

Seriously though, if you wanna go to a really good uni AND not pay anything, you could just go to uni in Finland. And then you could use all the money that you were gonna use for paying your school to spoil me. :D How great does that sound? :D