Feeling empty

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by MusicTaste, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think too many people have the attitude of "just be happy" type thinking, but like to me, the disease/problem is you can't.
    Like it's easier to say, chin up, be happy. But you know when you suffer from depression, it is not a switch to flick on and off, to me the disease is knowing you aren't right but having no control over it. You just can't "be happy".

2. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

In fear of starting another war! Hahaha

I myself was diagnosed clinically depressed, light phsycosis, personality disorders. It was recommended to me to seek disability because of my diagnosis.

My phsyciatrist has me on 6-7 different meds every day (no exaggeration) I am not trying to start something by any mean-
    But based on MY OWN EXPERIENCE!

I no longer take medicine, I don’t do drugs, I don’t abuse alcohol. I work full time makin 6 figures , and am happily married!

My point, is that it took me doing stuff like reaching out to help people, doing things that took me away from myself (whatever that means to someone) The last poster said it perfectly , it is one component of many.

I’m sorry, it is MY OWN OPINION, but to say someone is depressed, let them dwell in their own misery is completely asinine to me and I consider it giving up on that person- I was responsible for my own happiness, and until I realized it I sat and rotted, with a diagnosis , stuck in my pitty party and the oh poor me’s.
    No one did me any favors by aiding me to continue that way.

Everyone is different, if you are depressed it does not make you a bad person or any less of a person. I am making no judgements.
    I just hate even thinking that someone is suffering when they don’t have too is all. Even for just a second .

Ok, fire away, I’m sure someone is upset now - lol

Maybe VG? Haha

Slappy Woodstock and Meliai like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^i've been severely clinically depressed once - it lasted almost 3 years, I probably should have tried medication but being the most stubborn person on the planet I went about it in my own way..and pulled myself out of it eventually but it took forgoddamnever

And now when I feel myself start to spiral I usually know exactly what I need to keep from really falling into a deep depression and can usually snap myself out of it within a few weeks

So i think there is something to be said for volunteering or helping others, avoiding drugs and alcohol, exercise, meditation, productive hobbies, focusing on feeling gratitude, positive thinking, etc. It can work, i'm proof

But I wouldnt discount medication either, I probably wouldnt have said that a few years ago, but I realize how dumb I was for wasting 3 years of my life in misery when maybe medication could have helped

And maybe it wouldnt have helped, who knows. I think the bottom line is you really have to try a multifaceted approach to beating depression, there is no one size fits all solution

4. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

Very well put!

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Psychosis now?

Clinical Depression, Psychosis, Personality Disorders(Plural)......whilst managing to work fulltime, earning six figures, and "happily" married

You know what Psychosis is right? So what exactly is "light" Psychosis?

6. Like bars of chocolate?

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

somehow I thought of zbars when i read this...

no, I think he's talking about those places with the beer and tvs.

8. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

You are out for blood aren’t you?
    At this point I might keep posting just to watch u get fired up- lmao

9. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

No, i meant like as in rap, wordplay lol.

soulcompromise likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

You meant bars of music (rap music)? I didn't understand apparently. Lol. :)

11. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

like when a rapper is saying some dope stuff in his lyrics, they'd say "He has bars" only if they make sense though.

Ged likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

oh.. ok. I didn't get that for sure. I don't listen to much rap. I think I had a J5 CD in the year 2000 though. Somewhere way back I borrowed some Beastie Boys too. And Eminem, but I don't like Eminem now (maybe his old stuff because of nostalgia).

Anyway. I hope OP doesn't feel too badly.

13. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

Ohh haha, it's all good :) and yeah, same, i hope he'll be okay.
    lifes too short, we all gotta be strong and stick together.

14. I can't remember what movie "You're the best around" is from. I think a Ralph Machio movie, Karate Kid, maybe.

15. soulcompromise

Is "You're the Best Around" a song?

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i was looking all over for a footnote after seeing that star...

and for the record:

17. soulcompromise

sorry about that asterisk... I just like them for some reason. It's from my years in yahoo chat I think. We used to use those to indicate that we'd left something out (or misspelled) in the previous text.

But I added that one just for fun. :) sorry bout there not being a footnote though...

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There you go again, first I was defensive, now I am fired up

It didnt make any sense.

Psychosis, the inability to understand reality, manifesting in delusions, hallucinations and the like.

I am not allowed to question that?

In a thread started by a young man that may have a bioliogical / physiological base cause for his depression..

And your advice was one is responsible for their own happiness, implying its their fault if they are not happy.

Thats dangerous to our OP

And yes I think you are full of it with your shopping list of quasi ailments

19. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I've always gone with this approach and never considered medication.. It's helped that when I am okay, I am OKAY, and feel like I will never get low again.

But one thing I want to add.. I would have always leaned much more this way and give it out as advice and whatever. But recently I have had some moments where none of it helps, and actually because I have learned it is up to me, the low feels worse than it ever has. I know I CAN pull myself up, so if I feel like I can't, I feel even worse because of the failure.

20. papa-bear

papa-bear Members