Feel like the only person in the world who hates cities

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Slasher, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Slasher

Slasher Members

I'm a fucked up person, noserider. The world needs me as much as it needs global warming.

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

We're all flawed, Slasher. If you feel that you want to take your own life, definitely get some help. I hope you choose that.

3. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

You're lucky to have that land. Most of us don't have that option.

Some cities are cool. I love Manhattan. D.C. is interesting for the politics. Chicago has some interesting areas, but too much crime downtown. Seattle and Portland are beautiful. I live in Denver, which is growing rapidly. I preferred it when it was smaller and quieter.

4. Slasher

Slasher Members

Not as flawed as me. Something's terribly wrong with me. I know it. But I can't fix it.

5. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

What are your symptoms? I have a cousin who's a doctor, so that make me qualified to diagnose you. :)

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

LoL I've done the exact same thing to my mom when I was a little kid. She was stopped at an intersection and I pulled up the hand brake. She stalled the clutch when the light turned green, and yelled at me real good when she found out why the car died. Never again did I want to touch the hand brake.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The petition can only be 140 characters, and your name has 16, so you, me and about6 other people

Song of the South likes this.
  8. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

To the OP:
    While I certainly appreciate the shopping opportunities that big cities offer, not to mention the wealth of sub-cultures that cater to all sorts of interests, in the end cities are too crowded, too noisy and too polluted to be enjoyable places to live. Try to inhale there, and then in the country side, and there's a clear difference. In the country, it doesn't feel like you're smoking a pack a day just by breathing the air. And the big city rents are just trough the fucking roof, whereas in the boonies you can find very reasonable deals.

Also, privacy. These days cities have cameras everywhere, and somebody always has the ability to keep an eye on you. In the country side you can still do things in relative privacy. I'm an active barefooter these days. Here in the boonies you can still walk about in your bare feet without hassle, and there's also way less broken glass and dog shit to avoid. In the big crowds of the city, there's a good chance that somebody might develop an issue with you and start giving you lip. I also like all the vibrant colors from plant life, and the actually clean rivers and lakes. Big cities are nothing but miles of depressing grey concrete. And the streets are always congested. Out here, during a slow night you could almost have the roads completely to yourself.

Definitely do not diss the country side, appreciate what you have. People very often do not understand what they have, until they lose it.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i have no great love for cities either.
    i feel very much a prisoner in my (so called 'free' country, the u.s. of a.) because of the near absolute lack of public transportation services to smaller communities.
    cities do have bus and transit systems, and that's good, but college technical libraries, if and where accessable to the public, and a diversity of resteraunts,
    are really the ONLY (i mean along with public transit) redeaming 'virtues' they have.

i'm not ragging on cities out of ignorance. i grew up in small towns and semi-wilderness, and have lived in cities about half and half of my life.
    so i feel i can make an honest and objective comparison. the degree of political diversity i've experienced has been or seemed, aproximately equal in both.
    yes i know its a conventional assumption not to believe that, but of the places i've lived its true.

far enough away from cities, the resources of nature are much more directly and immediately available,
    and with them the chance to not be harrassed by other people's loud demands for attention.

there are other things its hard to communicate to anyone who has known only cities,
    who may think they are sentiment, emo, or generally undervalue them,
    so i won't beat my head against attempting to do so.

if you've lived in rural, and by that i DON'T mean agricultural, you'll know what i'm talking about.

another thing that's absolutely rediculous is people in cities, trying to impress each other with cars.
    they just give the impression of being dumb asses by indenturing themselves to them.

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It was a bus trip, we had so many hours to roam then had to meet the bus for the trip back. It wasn't my idea to go to Trump Towers, I voted on the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building, but I was with my wife, two kids and my parents. My father and I were just along for the ride.

Philly has some nice museums and the zoo isn't bad, too many one way streets though.

11. Slasher

Slasher Members

I hate being alive.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hello sunbeam!

13. Slasher

Slasher Members

I'm going to just try to be neutral at work today. Just do my job, ignore people, and try to enjoy it. What else can I do?

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, no wonder it was hard for you to get through the crowds with all of the people you were with. I like to go at my own fast pace and maneuver quickly, but it is kind of hard to do when one is with other people. I am good going with my brother. He taught me to keep up or too bad....lol
    He goes a million miles a minute, so I had to learn quickly, and now I can show him....lol

Stan can't go that fast with his bad knees, so it is difficult. I usually leave him sitting somewhere, and say i will be back for him, like I had to do in the mall yesterday.

Yes, I like Philly. I like the old time feel and ambience of that city, and it is probably one of my favorite cities that i have visited.

When I am in Manhattan....I love the art museums, of course...Soho, Greenwich Village...and the Harvard Club(I take saunas here) and the Players Clubs are great. I can go to those places because my brother is a member to both places. The Players Club is wonderful. It has the old time street lamps on the outside that were there in another century.
    John Wilkes, brother, Edwin booth, lived upstairs in that building once upon a time and he haunts the place....lol
    The building has been kept in its original form. Love those old street lamps.

The actors and actresses hang out there now, as downstairs is a place where you can eat or sit at the bar, and they have functions there all of the time....but it is places like these that I like.

I also like to look in the high end dept stores like Bergdorf's and Saks....i may not buy a lot, but since I like fashion, I like to looks and see what is going on and it is fun to find that one thing you can find nowhere else sometimes.

So see there is so much more that Mnahattan has to offer than the usual things.

15. Moonglow181

Oh, and speaking of trump Towers...I have one memory of that place only.

My brother, mother and I were going past that place one day, going to some place else, so we went in..not my idea....lol....to look around and went up those long escalators and at the top, my mom had a panic attack, and it took a long time for my brother and I to calm her down enough to go back down the escalator and back out...so that is my only memory of the place really.

16. Moonglow181

My father had many stories of the old New York, as he went to Columbia and lived there where he met my mom eventually....but NY is not the same place it used to be, of course. What is?...really? but you can still find nooks and crannies of the old feel that takes one back in time. He used to talk about Kerouak's and the beat generation's New York.....so I pretend it is still like that many times....as i am in my own world anyway......so that is easy to do for me.....

17. Moonglow181

What is going on with you?

18. Slasher

Slasher Members

I'll never you known when I figure that out.

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Seems that Slasher is another one of those types who takes to the internet to vent his/her frustrations, then ignores all sound advice sent their way.

20. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

I'm a country girl and I hate going to our little town in S. C. I have lived in NYC and South Jersey , but I'll take S.C.