Federal troops in Portland

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric50, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Ah you twist things, I said just because someone is taken in, doesn’t mean they have to be read their rights... only when they question the person. If someone is caught committing a crime, they donthav3 to be read their rights when taken in... only when or if they question the person do they have to.

If you are handcuffed, you are under arrest. Miranda rights, however, apply only to questioning. If you were not questioned, or made statements voluntarily before being handcuffed, the fact that you were not read your rights is not grounds for a dismissal.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

In the United States, any time you are not free to walk away from a law officer you are under arrest. legal or not, handcuffs or not.
    Miranda rights must be read to you upon an arrest or anything you say may not be used in court and any evidence obtained will probably also not be admitted to court.

What this means is that if an officer arrests you and doesn't read you your Miranda rights he or she is incompetent and doesn't know the law, because if they are arresting you they have probable cause that you committed a crime and by not reading you your Miranda Rights they effectively negated the arrest and prevented your conviction...which was the reason for the arrest in the first place.

Or they have no intention of prosecuting you for a crime as there is no probable cause and they are just trying to intimidate you.
    This is what seems to be happening, or happened in Portland. An arrest is made, no rights are read, no accusation of a crime is offered, no probable cause is offered until after the fact when one is made up (he looked like someone we were looking for), and the abductee is released as soon as he or she expresses their Constitutional rights as there is no reason for the arrest and never was.

The feds are now being sued in court becasue they can't seem to come up with probable cause for the arrests by unknown agents.

Tyrsonswood and stormountainman like this.
  3. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

You're talking CHAZ /CHOP in Seattle, Washington. Trump's stormtroopers are running around in PORTLAND. Portland is a city in a state called OREGON--a different state than Washington. So Raz from Chaz and all that Razzamatazz are, as the lawyers say, immaterial, incompetent and irrelevant! Trump's stormtroopers have abducted a number of people off the streets of Portland, one apparently for wearing black.
    “it is unconstitutional and unlawful for DHS officers to enforce non-federal law unless they are deputized by state or local officials — not the president — to do so. And Portland officials, far from making the DHS officers into deputies, have instead publicly expressed their outrage at the officers’ presence and demanded their removal.”

Harvard Law Professor: 'Unconstitutional and Unlawful' for Trump's Secret Police Force to Police the Streets

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I twist things? I was just going by what you plainly said at first, which was clearly erroneous. Your present statement about Miranda is correct but irrelevant, since we have a right not to be whisked off the streets without probable cause regardless of what rights we are read.

stormountainman likes this.
  5. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Bare & Bald disappeared a year or two ago. I can't remember for sure. I am convinced this one here is not female and not Canadian. It might be the same person, because of similar Trump supporting views?

6. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

It is standard police practice and good police practice to do this. But actually, BBLB, in her second iteration, is correct. Unless there is interrogation (i.e., something that would reasonably be calculated to elict and incriminatory response) Miranda warnings aren't required.

Yes, these pretext arrests are the problem, suggesting that far from being an attempt to augment local law enforcement, Trump's storm troopers are trying to suppress dissent. Harvard Law Professor: 'Unconstitutional and Unlawful' for Trump's Secret Police Force to Police the Streets Trump Is Exceeding His Constitutional Powers in Oregon

7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Ah, yes. I remember that one. Never made the connection to BBLB. "She" claims to be a First Nations Canadian.

8. Beach Ball Lady Balls

lol at your source,
    The New Civil Rights Movement far Left Biased based on the use of loaded emotional language and editorial positions that favour the Far left. They are a Mix for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources as well as a failed fact checks. They often get their sources of information from twitter as well.

Lol. The new civil rights movement ... the name alone speaks volumes,

taking away your audience now, you are ranked right up there with stormountain and Vlad for supplying false information.

9. Beach Ball Lady Balls

no you don’t, not when caught committing a federal crime.

oh The person robbed a bank, was whisked away and arrested... his rights were violated? Lol. What a joke. Off now. Have fun in your small narrow minded angry world.

10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Do you prefer this one? Trump Is Exceeding His Constitutional Powers in Oregon My source is a Harvard Law professor. Which of his statements do you find incorrect?

What information do you consider false? Are you a law professor? (rhetoricaL question).
    "Noah R. Feldman is Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at the Harvard Law SchoolHarvard University (BA), Oxford University (D P
    Let me explain to you why your post displays your ignorance. You're trying to discredit what I posted by attacking the publication from which I quoted Professor Feldman's statement. You don't address the statement itself, but rather try to discredit the journal on grounds that they take editorial positions favoring the "Far Left". That is an irrational inference, and illustrative of the ad hominum fallacy in logic. You ignore the professor's statements and attack the source that quotes him. If I were reporting an opinion from The New Civil Rights Movement, your point would be well-taken. But I'm, simply reporting the expert opinion of a scholar who was quoted by them.

11. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

[
    As I said, you should stick to Canadian law--although I doubt that in Canada the Mounties can whisk people off the streets without probable cause. The people we're talking about were NOT committing a crime, federal or otherwise. They were not robbing a bank. They were not even vandalizing a federal building.They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, wearing black, or thought to be suspicious. And their arrests were Illegal and unconstitutional.
    https://www.newsweek.com/gop-senators-fear-trump-use-secret-police-unconstitutional-merkley-1519623
    Napolitano: Trump's Portland Thugs Are Unconstitutional
    An Unconstitutional Army: Trump's fledging secret police could be deployed to Milwaukee after Portland | The Milwaukee Independent
    Trump’s Secret ‘Gestapo’ Police Are Coming To A City Near You

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

13. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Warning. My anti-virus protected me from a pop-up window opening up with this link!
    Are we being prepared by such tragedies for another Portalnd-style Trumpian escallation in Chicago?

"U.S. officials and sources close to the White House say that, the leader of the free world’s outbursts in meetings and phone conversations notwithstanding, there wasn’t a widespread appetite in the administration to replicate a Portland-style crackdown on the streets of Chicago, with several officials conceding that doing so would most likely not solve the city’s problems with gang violence and instead exacerbate the situation. The officials also noted that an effort to do so would almost certainly result in extreme backlash and hellishly bad PR.

‘Shaking in Their Boots’: Trump Wanted a Portland-Style Offensive in Chicago

14. MeAgain

BBLB is conflating the issue.
    In Portland we have individuals arrested in a public area by unknown agents without probable cause.

She cites the example of an individual caught in the act of robbing a bank which is a private institution, on private property, and then tries to tell us it's the same thing.

In Portland the arresting agents have not caught the individuals committing any crime and they are not on federal or private property. There is no evidence of any crime being committed.

In the case of being caught in a bank robbery there is other possible evidence beside that produced by interrogation, such fingerprints, witnesses, DNA, video, stolen property, maps of the bank, written plans, threats, shell casings, etc.
    Interrogation most likely isn't needed and a bank robber may be convicted even if they never talk at all to anyone. So Miranda rights are not real important.

In the Portland incidences you would think the arresting agents would question someone in a public area before or after arresting them as they have every constitutional right to be there and a constitutional right to freedom of movement. Probable cause must be shown in any arrest. When you are pulled over for a traffic stop, or arrest, probable cause must be established. If you ask the officer if you may continue on your way and they don't allow you to, you are under arrest and probable cause must be cited for the stop, such as a burnt out tail light, speeding, etc. In Portland Miranda rights come into play as the arresting agents need to show probable cause and that may only obtained by interrogation...most likely before arrest but certainly after as there is no other apparent reason to assume probable cause and none has been offered so far.

Tyrsonswood and Tishomingo like this.
  15. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

16. MeAgain

Trump is trying to start riots which he can then send in troops to dispel.
    He's working toward a rationalization for martial law. Possibly during the elections.

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I getting more and more convinced he doesn't want a second term. Think is he just having his fun with his time left.

Unless he is counting on Biden going senile during the debates and scaring voters off.

The doctors might be able to tune him up like they did Hillary Clinton during the debates, maybe.

This whole response to George Floyd just seems like self sabotage.

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Facial Recognition Technology may conditionally match you to brick-thrower at a protest rally . LEO's are
    quite sure they may approach you and investigate your identity . Might it then be necessary to transport you
    to a facility for a more precise photo analysis ? For torture ?

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

20. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Truthfully, at the time, I was a supporter of the Bundy standoff. However as years went by and more facts were brought to light, Bundy is just a sovereign citizen that refused to pay grazing tax on public land. So if you're trying catch me in a "gotcha" moment, then find something else to get me with because I now don't agree with Bundy's actions either.

With all that being said, it more to do with the fact that the feds didn't want to get in a shootout with 100+ armed civilians than it had to with Bundy being white. Also, I'd to see the evidence supporting that Bundy is a white supremacist.