Federal troops in Portland

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric50, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Eric50

Eric50 Members

Now this is scary. Protesters are being abducted and pulled off the streets into unmarked vans. I am not joking. This is happening in Portland, Oregon. What I want to know is why and why are they dressed like stormtroopers. While I don't agree with setting stuff on fire or throwing fireworks I thought that there was something called free speech and freedom of assembly.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Pretty simple... They are stormtroopers.

scratcho, granite45, hotwater and 2 others like this.
  3. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Are people setting things on fire, etc.?

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Acting Secretary Wolf Condemns The Rampant Long-Lasting Violence In Portland

Acting Secretary Wolf Condemns The Rampant Long-Lasting Violence In Portland

"The city of Portland has been under siege for 47 straight days by a violent mob while local political leaders refuse to restore order to protect their city. Each night, lawless anarchists destroy and desecrate property, including the federal courthouse, and attack the brave law enforcement officers protecting it. "

Mustard Tiger and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  5. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

I don't think it's any accident that Trump calls his secret service his SS.

6. Eric50

Eric50 Members

Brave? I don't think so. Stormtroopers are not brave. The federal troops need to vacate and let local leaders deescalate the situation. It is true that there has been some vandalism such as a building set on fire but that is not an excuse for these so called "police officers" to shoot protesters. Even if they use "less than lethal" means. Let me tell you when the spit hits the fan I will be safe and secure in my bunker. I'm not sounding so crazy now am I?

Flagme15 likes this.
  7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has told Trump to remove the troops as they're arresting people who are blocks away from the building and monuments they were sent to protect and not rioting or looting. Oregon Governor Kate Brown said that federal troops in Portland are only escalating the situation. Oregon Democratic Senator Jeff Merkley is describing it as the actions of an "authoritarian government." https://www.newsweek.com/portland-m...oops-federal-buildings-leave-our-city-1518826

8. .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020
  9. deleted

deleted Visitor

attack Federal buildings Federal personnel and federal property and you're going to get a federal ass-kicking and taken to a federal prison somewhere in the middle of the desert..

Good luck with the revolution.

Mustard Tiger, Lynnbrown and Eric! like this.
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Apparently, you’re not familiar with the 'due process clause' in the constitution, and neither are the Nazi Storm-troopers who have been sent to quell the violence.

Sierra likes this.
  11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

“The protests are peaceful”

“We need federal funding to repair our damaged city”

-Same people

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

For any of the 3 of you:

Can you provide evidence of the public asking for help? Or will your sources be right wing nonsense where they feel like something is wrong because white superiority is being challenged.

If you can show actual innocent people are victimized it goes a long way to proving your arguments. I ask because most likely all you can find is Fox news or sources from Trump's circle. Not nearly as much of the average American saying they feel unsafe in public.

If you wear a red hat or a black flag you bring it on yourself they don't count they must be real non-racist Americans.

13. 6-eyed shaman

Yes. Minnesota democrats asked for federal aid after they allowed the riots to rage on
    Minnesota Democrats Seek Federal Aid to Rebuild After Riots

14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I meant to have military aid not vandalism. Cities have to rebuilt after they win the Super Bowl too. The right wing fantasy is that the cities are out of control when they are not. They would rather have an authoritarian reaction than favor free speech. Look at Paris with the yellow jackets they didn't do what America is doing but there was chaos. The response to the protests only proves why they will continue to happen.

15. 6-eyed shaman

I say we give these detainees helicopter rides :D

16. Tyrsonswood

So you advocate murder...

Or... You are trolling.

17. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone found a supply of swastika armbands in the back of the Police cars yet ??? or pairs of jack-boots ???

stormountainman likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Imagine a nation that has been taken over by a far-right political party under the thrall of a “populist” demagogue and beholden to the perverse whims of its richest citizens and corporations.

Throughout the country, police forces routinely violate the civil rights of law-abiding citizens with near impunity.

Activists have been bravely protesting the country’s authoritarian government and the tactics it uses to repress dissent.

So, the nation’s president and his gang send a battalion of unidentified law enforcement personnel — outfitted in battle fatigues and armed with military-grade weaponry — into a city at the heart of a metropolitan area that over 2 million people call home.

These forces bear no badges or other identifying insignia. They refuse to provide their names, their orders, or their chain of command.

They are caught on video chasing down and apprehending peaceful, unarmed activists, shoving them into unmarked vehicles, and driving away — essentially kidnapping them.

No doubt you know where this is going.

I’m not describing something from a dystopian novel or a country halfway around the world.

I’m describing the United States of America in the year 2020 — specifically what has transpired in Portland, Oregon, in recent days.

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My primary instinct is against this, & further I'm astonished that this administration is comfortable with the scenario.

20. Tyrsonswood

It's this administration that is doing it... They are perfectly comfortable with it.