Fear of Rebirth.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So....assuming rebirth, or reincarnation to be more exact, is real and true, it worries me a lot.

Here's why. I've had a pretty good life but when I die I could be reborn anywhere in any circumstance.
    Oh, I know all about karma and if you lead a good life you get born in better circumstances, but seriously what are the chances of that?
    How many poor people are there compared to rich people? I mean there just aren't enough favorable births to go around. Especially for all the good people here at HF.
    Nearly 1/2 (3 billion)of all the people in the world live on less than $2.50 a day. That's $912.50 a year.
    1.3 billion of them live on less than $1.25 a day. ($456.25 a year)

So what are my chances?
    I just know I'm going to get reborn in some third world country and raised in some perverted dogmatic religion by a single alcoholic homeless mother on crack.
    Plus I'll be an underfed girl "of color", with a tapeworm, no citizenship, and one leg shorter than the other. Not that there's anything wrong with all that.

The really scary part is everybody's in the same boat.
    And it just keeps happening, lifetime after lifetime.

The only solution I can see is for all of us to work to make the word a better place to be born into.
    But I'm too lazy, hence my problem.

2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I'm done with humankind

Reincarnate me to a bird or a whale

Preferably Albatross for bird and
    Orca for whale

I can fly where ever
    I can swim where ever

mysticblu21 likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I wanna be a cat...

A Big Fucking Cat!

Deidre likes this.
  4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You're coming back as one of President Trump's grandchildren.

5. MeAgain

Cool. I'll be a filthy rich snob with no morals at all.
    Completely different from this life.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

What about a cicada? 7 years underground and one night of mating. I'm trying to decide if that sounds like a good life or a bad life

I would rather be an animal than a human for sure. Humans deal with too much anxiety and uncertainty in life. There's a squirrel without a tail who lives in my oak tree and he has it made. I get up and go to work every day to pay for the property he lives on, and he just plays and eats nuts.

McFuddy, MeAgain and mysticblu21 like this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cool. Cosmic karma....Those who would kill something for fun or cruelty get to come back as the prey that gets killed next time around...karma is not just limited to humans.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm not coming back here.

9. I've been having memories of past lives it seems lately. Maybe, because they're really strange. But, even if not, I think that reincarnation is more appealing when you remember your past. It's actually really interesting. And helps to tie things together a lot more than you'd think. There's a lot of things you might find meaningful, or coincidences you find meaningful, that it really impacts and makes all that much more profound. It adds depth to life.

10. I remembered that I used to be in an act with this other guy. Like, we were in this town trying to make things lively, dressing up and putting on shows for people. I don't know all the pieces, but I know it ended kind of tragically. It was before the Civil War and I know I just got kind of left on my own.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

holy shit, i think i'm a cicada.

12. storch

storch banned

Karma is the belief in reward and punishment. But if punishment is simply the consequences of your actions, it can't be viewed as punishment or justice being meted out; it's just a process. And you can exit this seemingly cyclical existence by ceasing to believe that you can pay for your incorrect actions or be rewarded for your correct actions. If you believe you owe a debt, then you will create a timeline to facilitate payment of that imagined debt. Timelines are a dime a thousand. If pleasure is your motivator, you'll remain stuck in this rerun feeding on variations. Guilt has a similar result . . . but different.

But don't listen to me. This body is a just a ghost; the same kind of ghost that Jesus gave up on the cross. To everyone's surprise, the body is the ghost.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Deidre likes this.
  13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

If there is reincarnation after we die, I'd want to come back as someone incredibly fearless, for fear has stopped me too much in my life. I know, while I still have this life, I could stop being fearless. But, that sounds harder than just wishing for another life to just be born that way. To never fear anything, would be really nice.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not too concerned who I come back as, I'm gonna grab it by the horns and make it work for me like I did in this life. :)

MeAgain and mysticblu21 like this.
  15. MeAgain

The problem is we all get reborn, or rather birth happens in a continuous process.
    Birth and life is a process that is simply one manifestation of reality.

Reality exists in an animate and inanimate state. In the animate state it can reflect on its own existence.
    At the human level of animation this reflective process is highly individual. We are cut off from one another due to our high dependence on the body and its senses. As children we learn to disregard our association with the environment and concentrate on our own separate body.
    We develop the concept of an "I".

With this "I" we are then separate from the rest of reality and can reflect on reality as something "out there".
    We become the "I's" or "Eyes" of the universe observing reality.

In this life I have focused one one particular "I" and excluded the others that are all around me, the rest of you.
    I come to think of myself as paramount.
    In an ego centered person this leads to greed, fear of others, anger and other negative emotions.
    But, ideally as we grow intellectually and spiritually we begin to see that the other "I's" in the world are simply another manifestation of ourselves, and we reach a high enough stage to realize that all "I's" are the same. Each "I" or "Eye" is just a different view of the same reality.

Reality has developed millions of "eyes" with which it views itself.
    So, after this "I' closes, it will reappear everywhere as the same "I". But I won't know that unless I develop the capacity to recognize what's going on when my new "I" opens.

And when it opens, what will I see??

16. storch

storch banned

What sort of life do you think you'd need to be born into to in order to learn that money isn't the standard with which to determine what is favorable?

17. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I wish to come back as a single cell organism,
    That way I can spend all day eating and making babies.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

:D

19. MeAgain

I think I would like to be born in a stable society that has high moral and ethical standards, treats everyone with respect, sees that there isn't a gross variance between wealth and poverty, and highly prizes knowledge and learning.

At present we have too many poor and too many rich throughout the world without a fair median.

20. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

If you are actually really worried about coming back as something unfavourable, then you certainly will.

I studied Buddhism, at the Ten Thousand Buddhas Sarira Stupa temple. What I learned would have me believe that someone who is pure and kind, who gives of themselves without concern for praise or good reincarnation. That is the person who will be granted the "best" reincarnation, or simple no reincarnation, but instead enlightenment which leads to ascension.

mysticblu21 likes this.