Fear of Christianity...

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by FeelinGroovy, Aug 19, 2005.

1. FeelinGroovy

FeelinGroovy opposable thumb

And I accept you for that. An honest question is its own justification.

And, yes, we do a lot of discussing of different opions among our Christian selves, it aids in enlightenment.

2. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

I was under the impression I was open to consider the possibilities as long as they are real possibilities and not esoteric horseshit or "mysterious phenomena" you use "God" as the explanation and stop there.

3. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I must say that i find your attitude amazing......

I'm addressing posts that don't break forum rules here....

For the first time we have a system where cross nationalities/cultures can comunicate with each other, without fear of repercussion (ain't that long ago historically that many people who stated various opinion seen here would have been imprisoned or worse for heresy for goodness sake)....this whole site, and from what i can gather, the majority of the people here encourage open and frank discussion....and you would see this stymied because "you are not pleased" with the participation of some of the individuals....is that the christian way? i know the church as a whole has worked that way for over a millenia..it's surprising to find it here tho'.

Yes, hard questions are often asked...and the questioner usually know's full well not to expect a comprehensive answer...but that doesn't deminish the questions importance, even if the question does directly ask someone to question their faith, regardless of their maturity....an immature mind should be asking the most questions of all. And yes some posters here may seem brash or rude, some people just are, the name of a forum shouldn't mean they have to alter their mannerisms....does it?

I don't think it's so much a case of anyone fearing christianity...as it is christians feeling uncomfortable in other's prescence...

4. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

5. iscreamchocolate

iscreamchocolate Senior Member

well you didn't say anyone in particular.. you kind of addressed the whole thread.. so I wasn't sure who you were speaking specifically to.

6. Libertine

I am skeptical of ALL SUPERNATURAL BULLSHIT, Delfo. It's just that Christianity is the most prevalent here.

Sharp ain't ya?

7. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

The Doctors signed it. Do you know of any people who have been crippled at for two days, and all healed the next?

There's no evidence for that, that they talked or anything. But still, how did they know snakes once had legs?

BTW (I think I posted it before): I've seen SECULAR evidence of Dinosaurs and humans co-existing.

8. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

For what it's worth the "red words" in the NT for me aren't that bad of a set of stuff. It's the OT and the Pauline commentary that bug me.

Also the whole theology around em "believe or die" ennnh sure.

9. Libertine

Yes, plenty of people have been "healed" or restored with no belief in a god, and plenty who soaked their beds in tears praying FUCKING DIED.

Evolution? Ever hear of it?

Did they or did they not EAT DUST AND TALK? ??

10. ryupower

Yeah, they did. But there's no evidance for that.

So, evolution eh?
    So you're saying Moses was there when the snake lost it's legs?
    He was RIGHT THERE? That'd mean that you'de have to conscider the whole creation story valid.

11. Libertine

LOL...ok....SNAKES ATE DIRT AND TALKED. Gotcha!

I'm not "saying" anything about "Moses" or snake legs...

You are.

I consider creationism as bullshit.

You need to seriously study what evolution is instead of just listening to your Sunday School teacher's explanation of it.

12. FeelinGroovy

Well, I never intended to seem "unpleased" that is why I stressed that even attention whores would be accepted. I'm just trying to get a good understanding of the intentions and/or fears of the anti-christians by asking questions. I can understand most of their posts, but I don't understand their perogatives for inflammatory posts, unless it is out of anger, fear, hate, etc. I still don't have a clear understaning of their intentions of making these types of posts.

However, I think Libertine proved my point by his recent post that no matter what evidence is given to him he will refute it without giving it a second thought.

It is obvious that one way to dig deep into someones emotions and motives is to provoke them. I'm pretty certian that many anti-christians do this by making statements to provoke Christians. Many christians will get angered by this provocation, some will not but will use it in turn to try to understand the instigator themself.

By posing the question in the beginning of this thread, and listening to the ensuing discussion, I have begun to learn a lot about what makes people tick and what they're motives really are.

You are all wonderful!!! Wonderfully human.

13. Libertine

Seriously, WHAT EVIDENCE was given to me? Talking snakes? or JesusDidIT unexplained, mysterious, hear-say "healings"?

14. ryupower

Well, God does answer my prayers. But that's not valid proof for you.
    You're answer would simply be: " it's all in your mind "

And I do admit, sometimes I really don't know if it's God or my mind, most of the time it's my mind.

15. FeelinGroovy

That brings up an excellent point and something I have also been contemplating.

The "personality" so to speak, of God is represented very differently by these two testaments. I wonder if it is mainly just based in the biases of the men documenting it or some other explanation?

Libertine: it is a never ending cycle/quest with you. I am convinced that when you are ready, God will show himself to you. Otherwise, I feel as if you will refute absolutely any evidence presented to you, no matter what. And to tell you the truth, if $20 would truely convince you and allow you to open your mind to the Christian faith, I will give you $200.

16. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I can't speak for Libertine (obviously)...

Maybe some post simply to provoke, i don't know, but if it's within' forum rules then it's simply part and parcel of posting in a public forum....but out and out provocation would soon be dealth with...this is a moderated forum :)

I think the most revealing thing about this thread so far is the lack of definition between attitudes in posters....one persons enquiring question is another's anti-christian provocation.....It'll be interesting to see how it pans out :)

17. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Groovy - while you got yr wallet out, $400 would work for me. I'm trying to figger out how I'm gonna buy those bumper plates I need.

18. Libertine

It's all in your mind, ryu. It IS all in your mind.

Don't just count the hits and ignore the misses. Don't take something as "JesusDidIt" without examining ALL the factors.

That's just not proof for an OBJECTIVE TRUTH such as Christianity claims "God" to be.

19. FeelinGroovy

I very much agree with you here. Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether a question is a genuine question, or a mere provocation.

20. Libertine

Ok. I will listen to you, since you are obviously sincere about your belief enough to obey Jesus' command.

I honor that you are that sincere.

But, I will not accept "mysteries" as evidence, just to warn you ahead of time.