Fear and loathing in las vegas

Discussion in 'Movies' started by maryjaneguitargurl, Jun 6, 2004.

1. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

:) I finally dug it out of my moms movie collection and watched it. That movie is the fuckin funniest movie haha. I love lucy. HAHA she paints portraits of barbra streisand.. THAT MADE ME LAUGH HAHAHA

2. didge

didge Member

ah yes! tis a great movie!

3. Terra

Terra Member

I just love this movie! One of the best comedies ever made! I just love weird movies like this :)

4. torz

torz Member

try watching it while tripping, its fantatsic!

5. Terra

Terra Member

I can imagine :D

6. Benny DaBuff

Benny DaBuff Member

OMG, LOL, does it make more sense that way, or does it get weirder?

7. torz

torz Member

both really, it makes more sence because you can relate more to what the caricters are going through but it makes it more weirder because your not sure weather what your seeing is because your tripping or because its in the film

8. Benny DaBuff

Benny DaBuff Member

Torz: I never "trip", but I won't say I never will. I must keep "Fear and loathing" in mind if I ever do, though.

9. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

it makes much more sense when you read the book.....it also leaves the best part of the book out...the taco place.....anyway, the greatest thing bout that movie is that its all true.

10. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

hunter s. thomson is the man...before filming the movie johnny depp hung out with this guy, following him around for like 6 months to get the character down...and he sure did get it down.

i would also highly recommend watching while tripping.

11. Daisie

Daisie Member

My Thoughts exactly... I made a point of reading the book before I saw the movie (although it took me about 2 years to get around to it.)
    But I'm glad I did read it first..

12. torz

torz Member

i normally read the books first too, thats why i havent watched any of the lord of the rings trilogy but i dint know fear & loathing was based on a book, i'l have to go out and search! i think i would find it a much better read than a film as i have a very over active imagination and can visulise & empathise in my head very well.

13. MrsA-Camper

MrsA-Camper Member

I don't think this movie will ever make sense, but damn, my gut was sore for a week after from laughing so hard watching while trippin... I love that feeling! Laughaches...

14. SouthBoundSoulShine

SouthBoundSoulShine Member

i rented it the other day and holy shit. it is the best movie i have ever seen. the next day i went to bullmoose and bought the criterium collection dvd. oh ya, does anyone know why when he picks up the hunting knife near the end theres blood all over it?

15. ragan

ragan Member

one of my fave movies of all time. when i first saw it i just wanted to steal lucy's fashion sense. me & my friend re-enacted it once we were so obsessed with it we got cig holders, a gun, an American flag and a mini roulette game and went nuts. although this was in my crappy hometown of Leigh, not LV, so you can imagine it wasn't entirely the same...
    fabulous movie mr. gilliam made, though. you gotta love that man. 12 monkeys is another good one.
    oh yeah i was wondering about the knife thing. it may be a great movie, but i'll be honest, i'm not totally sure what's going on...

16. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

isnt it caus the lawyer cut the big Z into his forehead afterall? i noticed that the third tiem i watched it (caus i never heard properly the bit where he jokes about doing it)

17. rory

rory Member

What a film!

Me and my housemate had a 'Fear & Loathing' night last Saturday.

We popped a couple of pills (which I rarely do) and then chain smoked some AK-47 skunk i'd procured for the duration of the film. It was awesome and I do find that it is impossible to watch this film without taking some form of drug or at least getiing pissed. I must have seen this film a couple of dozen times and its definately somewhere in my top five films. Depp & Del Toros performances are top notch.

Me & my my often have a running theme where one of us will act as the others 'attorney' during a session and 'advise the other what to do. For example you would say something like 'As you attorney I advise you to skin up a fat spliff and get some munchies from the fridge' or whatever. Sounds daft but if/when you try it you'll find that advice can become funnier and more stupid as the night progresses!!

"As your attorney I advise that you rent a fast car with no top"

"It was more than we need, but once you start a serious drugs collection the tendancy is to take it as far as you can"

18. hot_milk

hot_milk Member

I read the book a few years back (and continue to read on a regular basis as it never get boring). The film is an inspiration to all drug people, I think that most straight-edged people/non-druggies have slagged this film because they cannot make a connection with it. Those who can understand what these situations are like, such as that feeling you get when you don't know whether or not you've said or thought something, drugged logic of going completely crazy in a situation where sanity is called for. For the past few summers me and a few friends have created something similar. Moving into one guys house for a fortnight while his parents are on holiday and taking a huge amount of drugs. Unfortunately it's near impossible to get all the drugs they have but we do our best. They are the best two weeks of the year...

19. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

Hunter S Thonpson is such a brilliant man!! For the record Johnny Depp is great friends with the Good Doctor now. Keep an eye out for Rum Diaries set to come out next year. Depp plays the Thompson alter-ego once again. I can't wait.

oh yes.. and I ALSO recommend tripping to this movie if you can sit still long enough.

20. FoxeyLady

FoxeyLady Member

lol the first time i saw it i didn't actually understand the plot, i was just laughing at all the silly things that happen