Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Books' started by Guru420, May 26, 2004.

1. Love_Her_Madly

Love_Her_Madly Member

Yay. Someone who doesnt think I'm being crazy. :)

I have so many fav scenes. Esp. When he chucks the grapefruit at him...

2. FreindlyMuskOx

FreindlyMuskOx Member

Yeah, I really enjoyed both the movie and the book... the book more so...

Isn't it kind of a hipster given to have read it?

3. Love_Her_Madly

Love_Her_Madly Member

Hmm.... a thought.

I'm not sure. But it's a great story. Has anyone read anymore of Hunter's works?

4. colorful_hippie

colorful_hippie Member

i really enjoyed the book, the movie was good but not on the same level. and the art, EPIC!

5. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

i own the movie and i got half of the book left to go, although ive kinda lost interest in the book since i havent really noticed any differences between the movie and book

6. Love_Her_Madly

Love_Her_Madly Member

There arent many differences. That's true. I think it's great that the director etc were able to keep it true to the writer's work.

7. sweettone1221

sweettone1221 Member

The movie is my personal favorite, as well. I read his first book, The Rum Diary, before I read Fear and Loathing and I was very glad I did because I was able to recognize his voice as an author, which can be very difficult because as mentioned above the movie is almost word for word. I was able to get a feel of what Hunter was trying express, rather than just hearing Johnny Depp's dialog playing in my head as I read. But I very much recommend The Rum Diary. I have another book of his also, Hey Rube, which I hope to get to soon.

8. AerialReaver

AerialReaver Member

I have watched the movie it's one of my favorites. I tryed to find the book or any other book by Hunter at the local library. It seems that he's such a good author that all the copies of Fear and Loathing and any other books by the same author in all the libraries in the entire province are all reported lost/stolen. So I'm just going to buy Fear and Loathing. And then if I like it, which I know I will, I'll buy some other titles.

9. wootier

wootier Member

i like where the buffalo roam much better than fear and loathing in las vegas, i dont know why. maybe i just got burnt out on fear and loathing. when there on the campaign trail of nixon and he meets him in the bathroom. its probably just because i think "watshisname" is better than johnny depp(fucking ruined willy wonka forever).

10. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

have the movie and have the book.

one of the greatest books ive enjoyed reading in awhile.
    the movie is excellent also...

[​IMG]

11. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

yes! i read the book last summer aloud once and to myself once...i never stopped laughing. i have never read a book that made me laugh out loud so many times. the movie was alright but the book owned, definitly kicked the movies ass

12. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

The book is much better, but then again I prefer Hell's Angels and Kingdom of Fear to Fear and Loathing.

As for his death: a pity, but he had his reasons; a grumpy old man who had enough of life.:(

13. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

read the book multiple times....watch the movie religiously....other books to check out......Luke up there mentioned Kingdom of Fear, I also like the Curse of Lono, and maybe you should read the Rum Diary.

Dont be annoyed about his death...he wanted it to be like that (just maybe 37 years earlier) Hunter told Ralph Steadman that if he felt like he couldnt commit suicide, then he wasn't really free.....

And I would go so far as to call him a god....a genius, absolutely, but not a god. (I dont think he wouldve liked that comparison).

Happy reading!

14. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Hunter was far too modest to admit that he was a God/genius. He was a fabulous writer, and I try to leave it at that.:)

15. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

true...I hear ya, luke. But I think his style of writing was genius...he never struggled with his writings...it was all so very natural to him(I envy that). That's what I meant by "genius" (but he probably wouldnt like that, either!)

16. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

I read it serialized in Rolling Stone when it first came out and loved the shit out of it. I was working at an insurance company in downtown Chicago at the time and read it at my desk in between naps. If you don't think that was freaky...

17. TheTopPlaceboOnHerAgenda

TheTopPlaceboOnHerAgenda Member

Yeah I thought it was crazy strange how identical the two were. If he was actually playing the author of fear and loathing that explains a lot. if you liked one you'll probly be drawn to the other

18. TheTopPlaceboOnHerAgenda

TheTopPlaceboOnHerAgenda Member

I never knew he wrote The Rum Diary. Any other Depp fans out there will be stoked to know that he's playing the lead in the upcoming film adaptation of the book. Looking forward to this one a lot more that I know the story was written by the same dude who did Fear & Loathing. Legal Dope. Gotta love it....

19. hot_milk

hot_milk Member

I'm looking forward to this too. I loved The Rum Diary, I just hope it gets made. They've been delaying it for years, partly because of Depp's 'Pirates' commitments. Seeing Bruce 'Withnail & I' Robinson on the credits fills me with confidence.

20. azaleah

azaleah Member

Hunter S. Thompson amazes me. I'm so jealous of his mind. All of his books are great. This book is great, the movie is great, and so on.