Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ... favourite quotes!

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by Spuff, May 30, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I quite like this one ...

Gonzo - "Let's get outa here. Where's the elevator?"
    Duke - "No! Fuck, don't go near the elevator, man. That's just what they want us to do. Trap us in a steel box, take us down to the basement."

2. mazzy

mazzy Member

the entire movie is brilliant:

i think someone already said "hot damn i never rode in a convertible before" but i end up using that one like daily

Dr. Gonzo: I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear.

Raoul Duke: Let's get down to brass tacks.

What's the score here? What's next?

Raoul Duke: Don't fuck with me now, man, I am Ahab.

Dr. Gonzo: Who said anything about slicing you up, man? I just wanted to carve a little Z on your forehead.

3. Silly Angel

Silly Angel Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

this is my favorite. and also that whole thing in the hotel bar with the golf shoes...but i can't remember the entire quote. SOmething like... "It's impossible to walk in all this muck. No footing, no footing at all. We're going to need golf shoes or we'll never make it out of here alive." That's probably way off.

4. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

"Take the ticket ticket take it ticket"
    "PIG SWINE WHORE!"

My favorite quote wasn't in the movie, but was in the book. It was kindof the point of the whole book that they were looking for the American Dream, and finally they found it, and it burned down two years ago.

5. Roxana G

Roxana G Member

Yeah, I love the one about speeding and cops too, as well as "Bat Country" and "GOD did this." (I used to have a boyfriend who would say that all the time, lol.)

Those and some others:
    "There was only one road back to L.A. U.S. Interstate 15. Just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow..." (I used to live near Vegas and Baker, so it holds a little memory for me there).
    "What kind of rat bastard psychotic would play that song, right now, at this moment?"
    Damn, there's something eluding me right now, a part I know I love, but I can't think of it...

6. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

"jesus man where'd you get that big fucker? (referring to knife)"
    "room sevice sent it up, i needed it too cut the limes"
    "limes? what limes?"
    and then he cuts up the orange lol
    thats the best movie. i diddnt know it was a book. is the book any good?

7. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

ya, the bat country one is a classic

8. MaryJane69

MaryJane69 Member

"Hey, there's two women fucking a polar bear."

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Did you see what God just did to us? God didn't do it, you did. You're a fuckin narcotics agent! I knew it. That was our fuckin cocaine, pig scum" Then the fly swatter. haha.

I like Terry Gilliam. Until he did Brothers Grimm.

9. Justwow

Justwow Banned

"All you people voted for Hubert Humphrey. And you killed Jesus!"

10. Imagine17

Imagine17 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

LMAO yeah.

Duke: "Dogs fucked the pope...no fault of mine."

Duke: "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a main era - -the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - -that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - -on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - -the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Duke: With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Raoul Duke: We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:
    I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:

Raoul Duke: Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals?

Dr. Gonzo: Did you say something?

Raoul Duke: Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive.

Raoul Duke: No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.
    Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.
    Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.

Parking Attendant: You can't park your car here.
    Raoul Duke: Why not? Is this not a reasonable place to park?
    Parking Attendant: Reasonable? You're on the a sidewalk.

And last but def. NOT least...

Raoul Duke: We should get a big handful of that stuff and see what happens.
    Dr. Gonzo: Some of what?
    Raoul Duke: Extract of pineal.
    Dr. Gonzo: Shit, that's a good idea. One whiff of that stuff will turn you into something out of a goddamn medical encyclopedia...
    [Duke tripping sees Gonzo turn into Satan]
    Raoul Duke: Beautiful fucking tits!
    Dr. Gonzo: Your head will swell up like a watermelon... you'll gain about a hundred pounds in two hours...
    Raoul Duke: Right!
    Dr. Gonzo: Grow claws... bleeding warts...
    Raoul Duke: Yes!
    Dr. Gonzo: And then you notice about six huge hairy tits swelling up on your back.
    Raoul Duke: Fantastic!
    Dr. Gonzo: You'll go blind... your body will turn to wax... they'll have to put you in a wheelbarrow... and when you scream for help, you'll sound like a raccoon.
    [returns to normal]
    Dr. Gonzo: Man, I'll try just about anything, but I'd never in hell touch a pineal gland.
    Duke: Finish the fucking story! man. What happens next? What happened to the glands?

sooooooooooo many more but those are some of my favs.

11. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

Definitely "Oh god, did you eat all this acid?"
    I laughed so hard when he said it.

12. Mert no.2

Mert no.2 Member

I can heartily recommend the book. The film follows it very closely apart from a couple of chapters near the end. The only addition in the film version that I can think of is the cop asking for a kiss...however Duke still feels raped afterwards, regardless.

Great book, I saw the film first but enjoyed the book more, enough to read it in one sitting in fact.

13. Greengirl

Greengirl Senior Member

Duke-We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:
    I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
    Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:
    Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals?

Duke-We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers...

Duke-What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

14. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Man I can practically taste these words:

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a main era - -the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - -that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - -on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - -the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

15. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Ah, very good story. well, i just love hunters obersavations on life in general. he is so very honest. good movie, good book. i read the book first, which i think is better to do, because then you'd get the movie better. i swear, if i never had read the book, and just watched fear and loathing, id be like 'what the fuck?'

alot of people say its just a drug movie, but its far more than that. its about culture. its about a certain time and place. ultimatly, it reflects life.

16. Mert no.2

Mert no.2 Member

I often find that drug movies appear to be made by people who have never done a drug in their lives...Human Traffic springs to mind. But...despite its OTTness, I find Fear and Loathing to be very believable.

17. Penisdata

Penisdata Member

I love this one:)

Oh, Jesus! Did you see what god
    just did to us?

God didn't do that! You did it!
    You're a fucking narcotics agent,
    that was our cocaine, you pig!

18. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

"You wanna see the big fucker eh?"
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride"
    "1965, the great San Francisco acid wave"
    "HEY DOES ANYONE WANT SOME LSD? I GOT ALL THE MAKINGS RIGHT HERE, ALL I NEED IS A PLACE TO COOOK-OOK-OOK"

19. Pool Shark

Pool Shark Member

This is bat country is the best line in the whole film imo.

20. Vejtable

Vejtable Member

Best quotes are the bat country quote (you all know it) and "One concept my attorney has never been able to grasp is that.. you can get a lot higher without drugs. And neither have I for that matter". Awesome movie by the way.