Favorite music genre

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by FreshDacre, Feb 2, 2010.

1. PeaceandLoveGirl91

PeaceandLoveGirl91 Member

Rock music for the win!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup:

2. Nines

Nines Member

I voted for rock but. It's not about the genre I think. It's about the little taste that rapes your mind when you listen to good music. That's what all we need.

3. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

classic rock and jazz. paisley skye.

4. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

1-Breakcore/terrorcore/speedcore
    2-Dubstep/drum'n'bass
    3-Old-school techno
    4-Old-school punk/new wave/industrial
    5-Reggae/Abstract hip-hop

5. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

overall dubstep, that being said i am really offended that you put house and dub together. house is the worst genre of music end of story

though my favorite individual bands are string cheese and old crow medicine show

6. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

You don't like it make your own poll.
    The house I listen to has dubstep in it a lot, so thats why I say they are similar.

7. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

you are a drastically misinformed individual. the poll is fine, house and dubstep are just two very different genres

8. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah but house musics better im gonna prove it

9. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

yeah yeah i get it, opinions this opinions that. obviously i was too critical and whatever. the actual point is that house and dubstep should be in different categories cause i hate checking the a box that says house is my favorite genre

10. p0ly

p0ly Senior Member

LOL at this

11. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

really jimmydean u are clueless bro , dont ever leave minnesota

12. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

House music is based on four-by-four dance structure, popularized by disco, frequent use of a prominent bass drum on every beat, and may feature a prominent synthesizer bassline, electronic drums, electronic effects, funk and pop samples, often with reverb- or delay-enhanced vocals.

The term "dubstep" in reference to a genre of music began to be used by around 2002, by which time stylistic trends used in creating these remixes started to become more noticeable and distinct from 2-step and grime.

taken from wikipedia.

13. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

oh and i totally will stay in minnesota. we got the best dubstep/idm scene in the united states. check out the barfly's schedule!!!

14. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

15. Drum_Rushed

Drum_Rushed Member

grunge/punk

16. Mongooseuk

Mongooseuk Members

Oof. That is a tough question. I listen to all kinds of genres. My favorite is rock music I guess.

17. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The answer is easy. "Country".
    The hard part is "what is country music"?

If we start with the Bristol Sessions and AP Carter gathering songs from the rural south, we quickly bump into blues. (The split between white country and black blues was a marketing decision by NY record execs, not a reflection of the music. AP stole gathered songs from both black and white families.) Which puts Mississippi John Hurt and Muddy Waters and Lead Belly and the music that flowed from that into the mix.

And cajun music, and string band music, that turned into bluegrass.

"Folk" was split off from "country", again by record company execs, after WW II when they wanted to avoid boycotts of that political stuff, that was coming out of country musicians.
    Hank Williams brought Texas Swing into the fold, with its connections to Mariachi and Cumbias.

And the sound has spread to international styles like Scandanavian Danseband music and the Irish Country musicians like Mike Denver.
    The Blues connection is amazing, Doc Watson's Way Downtown and Lead Belly's On A Monday share a lot of imagery. But, even the urban blues like Rev. Gary Davis' Sampson and Delilah crosses over so smoothly, its hard to say that it isn't country. (If I Had My Way - Elizabeth Cook)
    There are songs like Lindi Ortega's Run Down Neighborhood that are set in a pure urban settting, no fiddle, no slide guitar, but the feeling is identical to songs like Country Boy Can Survive.

And then there are those who took country music and mixed it with other genres like Cowboy Troy - Square Dance Boogie.

So "what is country music" is a hard question. But I like it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Mongooseuk likes this.
  18. GypsyHolly83

GypsyHolly83 Members

Rock. I know that's broad but I like most types that fall under that category. Lately I've been into Indy Rock but I go through phases as to what I enjoy best in the moment.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Depends entirely on my mood at the time.
    In no particular order; what they call "classic rock", American/Irish/Scottish/English folk, American/Irish/Scottish/English "trad" (including bluegrass, old-time, all sorts of bagpipes (Highland, uilleann, Scottish smallpipes, Northumbrian and border pipes), all sorts of ballads and sea shanties. Civil War tunes, Irish Republican tunes. A very small selection of Country (usually "crossover"; Country/folk, Country/rock).
    Mostly, I like silence. When I choose to listen to music, then I really listen.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

>space music (arityhmic electronica/synth pads with litle constanly evolving details kind of under the surface of them)
    >filk (folk music of folk who haven't been born yet, or live in some other universe)
    >world beat and celtic
    >and clasic forms composed by contemporaries or within the past hundred years.

aproximately that order, generally the less mundane the better.

MikeE likes this.