Favorite memory of the 60's?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by AvengingFlower, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Flowers & Love

Flowers & Love Member

...why couldn't I be born in 1949 so I could be a teen in the 60's, its so unfair, if only, if only. -runs and crys in the corner-

2. Flowers & Love

Flowers & Love Member

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The 1964 Worlds Fair in Flushing, NY. The heady sense of optimism and potential. The futuristic displays. The promise to put a man on the moon in that decade.

The youth, schools bursting at the seams, classrooms with 40 students.
    Sittting in 2nd grade as they announced that the President had been shot.

My Father talking down those dirty Roling Stones, rememberin Jumpin Jack Flash in 1968. Watching the two political conventions on TV. Democrats in Chicago, Republicans in Miami. The Assination of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the resulting firestorm of protest with neighborhoods burnt by arson

When that hippie Joe Namath took the Jets to a superbowl victory with his long hair, sideburns, white cleats.

All of the new construction, new architechture, new highways. new shopping malls.

Remembering 1969 when Brian Jones drowned, Man walked on the Moon,the Woodstock Concert and the N.Y. Mets World Championship all within a few weeks of each other.

:hurray:

4. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember positively Loathing Frank Sinatra and The Rat Pack

Loathing Elvis Presley and James Dean as a bunch of greasers.

Loathing Coctail Culture, Mickey Mantle and the Bronx Bombers a bunch of spoiled strutting swagering ballplayers.

Loathing Do-wop music.

We had our new heroes.

5. wishitwas60s

wishitwas60s Member

the sixties were a time of peace and love, i wish they were here again

6. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

Six of us were crammed into a friends Falcon station wagon, parked at a drive-in restaurant one summer. Windows rolled up tight so the "straights" couldn't smell reefer (yeah, right), passing joints around which was really stupid because everybody had one and they were all rolled out of the same bag. (cause that's the way we did things back then, that's why!).

Cop cars (2 each) wheel in and the cops bail out, and start rapping on the windows on both sides of the car telling us to "get out of the car" in loud voices. We opened the doors to get out, and the blue-grey smoke rolled out like the car was on fire inside. Cops use their flashlights to search the car and pat a couple of us down lightly .... they were looking for beer, and we didn't have any - so they left, telling us "the restaurant closes at 11, y'all better be gone by then".

They were either really ignorant ... or really cool. I suspect they were really cool.

7. alektrahippie

alektrahippie Member

I wish i could experience the 60's. the love. the music.

8. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

The Vietnam Moratorium Day demonstration in October 16, 1969 in Washington, DC. I attended a university in the Washington area, and helped people visiting Washington for the demonstration to find a place to stay.

9. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

Going to Woodstock. Me and my sister and the chick next door went. I was only 17 my sister was 18 but the chick next door was 21 so our parents let us go. God it was like nothing else. Me and my sister were young and we were like spell bound by it all. also just the times things were moving fast heady times. Just a great time to live through. Plus I didn't get drafted until 1970. So I can look back on the 60s and feel good about them. The 70s were bad for me.

Peace

10. Azwethinkwedo

Azwethinkwedo Guest

you guys all seem so cool, and so did the 60's. i was born in 1991 so i guess i was a little late. i love watching my woodstock dvd's, it gives me a weird feeling of like actually having a physical urge to move into the tv.

11. hippiepeece

hippiepeece Member

well thats not very nice. negative vibes dude. Maybe you should go take a long hard look at yourself and ask how your parents could have made such a big mistake and pray you dont or didnt make the same mistake with your kids.:D

peace and love,

Young hippie with great big dreams

12. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

I guess my favourite memory of the '60's was in the spring of '68. I was still living on Haight Street and one day I was talking to a neighbor of mine who I babysat on a couple of occasions. She was all of eight years old .
    Then, just out of the blue she said " I thought all the hippies left here last fall." It was definitely a big compliment to me.
    About two months later, I met a suffragette at a corner grocery store after having a confrontation with an elderly gentleman. She and I had a conversation. She quoted Shakespeare 's " all the world's a stage, and we are but actors", and then she added " and you play the role of the hippy very well". After that I decided to accept the label hippy with pride.
    OH - I also met Jimmi Hendix and shared a joint with him. It wasn't such a big deal as he would often go out on the streets and meet the 'everyday man ' on a regular basis.
    PAX

13. jaigurudeva~

jaigurudeva~ Member

I understand that he went out to meet "everyday" people but dude.....
    That was JIMI FUCKING HENDRIX!

14. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

The first two people that I mentioned in the post were alot more interesting and had alot more to say . Hendrix is definitely a genius on stage playing his guitar but when it comes to conversation ----I'm sorry- he was kind of boring. And the other two people that were smoking with us thought the same thing.

PAX

15. oink

oink Member

Getting stoned on Cocoa Beach watching the waves before surfing on beautiful saturday mornings. Not much of a hippie type memory, but I graduated iH.S. in 70. My hippie memories started then.

16. waukegan

waukegan Member

fishing in northern minnesota.great memories.then frying them and eating.i didn't keep fishing as an adult though.my kids didn't like fishing or eating the fish so.and who gives a shit what my ex wife liked i sure as hell don't remember.also seeing the northern lights in the sky on sub zero nights.ya gotta seem them sometime if you never have.

17. waukegan

waukegan Member

fridays during the religious observance of lent in the u.s. anyway there's alot of fish frys and all you can eat fish at many restaurants.they can count me in.

18. ^Candy^

^Candy^ Guest

Woodstock!!!!!

19. monkey paw

monkey paw Member

The long haired,lean and liberated 60s girls in Mini Skirts and Mini Dresses.

20. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

I have talked to a few people that were at woodstock,they said that you could find just about any drugs there but there was no marijuana to be found?
    is this what u remember?