Favorite Jack Kerouac book?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by TreeFiddy, Sep 3, 2005.

1. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

I've read On the Road and Dharma Bums. They were both amazing, but I liked Dharma Bums more. I just started Visions of Cody, and I have Big Sur, which I'll read next.

2. HungryJoe

HungryJoe Member

I'm reading On The Road right now. I love it, it brings back some of the memories I have about being on the road myself. The next of his I'm want to read is The Dharma Bums. The next beat writer I'm going to read though will probably be Burroughs Naked Lunch.

3. sarathustra

sarathustra Member

I read half of Dharma Bums a long while ago, but was never able to find it again, but i just got it for Xmas this year so i intend on reading it instantly. I also have Some of the Dharma which is all his notes on Buddhism and what not which is really super interesting and of course i love On the Road.

4. randomrules

randomrules Member

5. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

lately I would have to say Lonesome Traveler.

6. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

on the road with moriarty and paradise,cool!

7. HungryJoe

HungryJoe Member

I finished The Dharma Bums a couple of weeks ago. I think it was much better then On The Road, the only problem I have is that I read it for my reviews and critiques class so I'm going to have to pick it apart. It won't be pretty.

8. mortes

mortes Senior Member

Dharma bums is by far my favourite of anything he's written. I've read on the road, big sur, desolation angels (dharma bums part two kinda), and of course dharma bums. Re-reading dharma bums atm, its fucking amazing and everyone should read it at least once in their lives. He captures life so amazingly.

9. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

I'm reading Desolation angels at the moment... very extraordinary...i like it

10. sidreus

sidreus Member

I can't believe anybody who spells that well doesn't appreciate Kerouac, yet still watches the muppets.

I love On the Road but Subterraneans is something special, Visions of Cody has a fond place in my heart (mostly recorded dialogue typed out but Neal plays a more visible role in that one, and Neal is fun), Dharma Bums is awesome. Desolation Angels is really good but I'm surprised so many named it as their favorite just because it's the winding down of things...there's a sadness to it amidst all the usual celebration.

I'm currently reading, "Windblown World," his journals between the ages of 26 - 32. It's really awesome and a very different experience. It's amusing to read his descriptions of Allen and some of their communication.

11. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

Kerouac is God.

Everything he has written, i mean EVERYTHING, anything he's scribbled on an old napkin in some diner and threw out after wards, a letter to his sweet memere ANYTHING he has written is epic and beautiful. He has managed to capture the very essence of life. His lips were always pregnant with things to say, and his miiiind oh lord his mind was the world

12. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

on the road ^_^

13. feralfey

feralfey Member

The Dharma Bums. Then On The Road.

14. CamCam

CamCam Member

I think that On the Road is the best. :D

15. The_Moroccan_Raccoon

The_Moroccan_Raccoon Senior Member

im reading on the road now...its the only one ive read, and i love it

16. Creek

Creek Apple Pie

On The Road, Desolation Angels...For Anyone Interested, YouTube Has Tons Of Interviews/Footage Of Kerouac Reading Poetry, Excerpts Of On The Road, Etc. : )

17. LoveHealsTheWorld420

LoveHealsTheWorld420 Member

For a nice contrast read The Town And The City then read Dharma Bums
    (my favorite book) which are two totally different styles. In The Town And
    The City you can see Kerouac finding his voice but still trying to break
    free of the confines of his literary influences and all that shit but then
    Dharma Bums is where he really hits his stride and you can tell he's found
    his own voice and style - just a few lines from that book will knock you on
    your azz, it's incredible. I liked On The Road too but I think Dharma Bums is
    his best book especially if you know the real life stories and people behind
    what takes place in the story- I've read it five times and found something
    new in that book every time. If you like Kerouac also check out the novel
    Memoirs Of A Beatnik by Diana DiPrima, who was one of his friends and
    based the book on some of their real life experiences.

18. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

I agree Dharma Bums is where he seems at his best... im currently reading desolation angels

19. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Member

On the road: it's really great and brings me back to the last summer. :) I've also red Dharma Bums, Pic, The Subterraneans and now I'm reading Visions of Cody, but my favourite one is definitely On the road.

20. mywildlove

mywildlove Member

The only one i've read is on the road, and it changed my life. I checked it out of the library and decided when i was done that I had to own it. Superb from cover to cover.