Favorite Jack Kerouac book?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by TreeFiddy, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

I've read On The Road and The Dharma Bums and I liked on the road better. I didn't like that chinese monk things in The Dharma Bums... didn't dig it ;) I think that's what comes out if some terribly bored people hang around :) But there are some nice parts in the book too. When they climb on the mountain for example...

2. Fozzie

Fozzie Member

I cant believe ANYONE reads Jack Kerouac. I've read on the Road and tried Desolation Angels and foudn it so disapointing. Just a self indulgent, long winded, over rated, self cogratulatory, misogynisitc load of old tut. Bored me to tears.

3. Kitschkarma

Kitschkarma Member

Well we do, and we like it despite his personality issues. You should still be able to read an author and enjoy the style. Like kafka, good writer, boring as hell. Marcel Proust and Oscar Wilde great writers but boring despite their wit and charm.
    See Opinion
    But back on Jack... more books for us.

4. Fozzie

Fozzie Member

fair point KitschKarma but then I cant see why you'd read anything that was by your own admission "boring" SUrely its meant to be enjoyable? I'm not saying youshouldn't read Kerouac,i'm just saying i think its pants!

5. Kitschkarma

Kitschkarma Member

Well I think it's a high rise vneck for the most part.
    So trunk, boot, bonnet, hood.
    Y'get the point?

6. Fozzie

Fozzie Member

Afraid not. BUt not to worry.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I agree with you... I especially dislike the mysogynistic part though.

I don't find Kafka boring at all

8. jniggs

jniggs Member

I've read on the road a couple times, and I'm reading dharma bums for the third time right now... tried big sur and desolation angels, but didnt get into either of them... one of these days ill try again though. i can see where most people would like on the road more, but i have a certain connection w/ dharma bums; my parents named me Japhy, so ya know... its weird.

9. Fozzie

Fozzie Member

HEy KitschKarma, my girlfriend has just deciphered your last msg for me. I meant pants in the "uk" sense, as in "a load of old pony", "dogs dick", as in rubbish!!! SO now your vneck ref makes sense!

10. Kitschkarma

Kitschkarma Member

I'd like proof of the mysogny, please.
    Specific passages n' such.

11. schwahead

schwahead Senior Member

weird??? thats very cool!

12. jniggs

jniggs Member

thanks man... i didnt mean its weird they named me japhy, i mean when i was younger i hated it cause u know, when your a kid you dont like to stand out like that, with such a different name that nobody can say right, but i mean, yeah now i appreciate it, i think its cool too. i didnt mean its weird like that... im not sure what i meant, just not that... i guess just that i love the book so much too, or something...

13. gulfwinds

gulfwinds girasoles para los amigos

when i was 17 my friend brought Mexico City Blues to school, it completeley won me over becuase i was beginning to be interested in experimental poetry. i read it over and over again, for two weeks i slept wiht it under the pillow :p

14. Illmaeo

Illmaeo Member

the Subterraneans is my favorite.

Dharma Bums is a close second.

15. Kitschkarma

Kitschkarma Member

Subterraneans is great.

I got Dharma Bums from the library today. Yay. it'll be a good book to read while I'm on the road. haven't read it yet.

That means I'll have read

The Subterraneans
    On the Road
    Big Sur
    and Vanity of Dulouz

To the mountains i go.

16. Beatnik57

Beatnik57 Member

i read One the Road and loved it. i tryed reading Visions of Cody but im not ready for it yet, from what i read of the book it was really good, im about to start Dharma Bums after im finished my current book.

17. cosmic-grooviness

cosmic-grooviness Member

i just finished reading the dharma bums, it simply just a classic novel, great plot, interesting characters, and cool intellectual look at poetry and i really liked the whole oriental feel, zen and all that, i became zen buddhist after reading it, really got me into poetry, arthur rimbaud, etc.
    Did you know their making a film of on the road due for release in 2007. more info if anyone knows any about that.

18. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

i'm not so much a big fan of his books... i liked his pro-nixon rants

19. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I think that I read all of his books. His writing is special. I remember looking for the one that I hadn't read, yet..Subterrainian Blues or something like that and I did finally find it in a used book store. I think that story about keeping a book of his under the pillow is so neat...way to go!
    He tried a lot of different ways to express himself and even had a box of oil paints. There is a little book out about his rudimentary painting. Even there, his observations about the 'art' of painting was special and illuminating.. horray for Jack, he had nickname for his own special character in his books...I was thinking about it a few nights ago...a French sounding name. It slips my mind at the moment. Everything he did was so cool and so real and real art, all the time..real human, too.

20. coffeedarling

coffeedarling Member

I think the dharma bums, but I carry on the road with me everywhere. also liked the subterraneans, though I heard he caught a lot of crap for that one.

and I think that you have to read a Kerouac book twice before you get into him. I remember being kind of bored reading on the road the first time, but I thought that it would be a good "re-reader". once you can pay attention to his language, it becomes kind of an addiction.