Favorite book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by staples420, Jun 1, 2004.

1. staples420

staples420 Member

What one book would you reccomend to everyone? I am looking for some new books and authors to explore but there are so many I have been thinking about that I can't make up my mind.. Any suggestions?

2. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

my favorite nonfiction is steal this book by abbie hoffman. anything by him is good. also i like michael moore.

in fiction: on the road by kerouac. trout fishing in america by brautigan. clockwork orange by burgess is good.

those are all i can think of at the moment. i'm not sure what type of books you like so ...yeah, whatever.

3. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

One of my all time favorites is Anam Cara. It is a beautifully written piece about the celtic spirituality by John O'Donohue

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Anything by Margaret Atwood, John Steinbeck, William Burroughs, Herman Hesse, Hanif Kureishi (The Buddha of Suburbia is brilliant!!) ... I could go on forever but this should get you started. :)

Also, if you haven't gotten into reading Russian classics yet, then I would definitely recommend Fjodor Dostojevski and Leo Tolstoi. Fantastic writers. :)

5. Spinner

Spinner Member

I'm a fuckin idiot, so I don't know how to read.

6. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

do yourself a favor & check out robert a heinlein's influential (& ground-breaking & funny & bawdy & satirical & strange & subversive &&&) early 60-s novel:

Strange in a Strange Land

(you'll be glad you did...)

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

The tao of pooh and the te of piglet (Benjamin Hoffman)

The Dharma Bums (Kerouac)

Running with scissors (Augusten Borroughs)

TTFN
    Sage

8. lorelai_g87

lorelai_g87 Senior Member

I suggest u anything by Dostoevskij, Tolstoj, Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath

9. SoLost

SoLost Member

The Golden Compass, The Celestine Prophecy, Dracula, Nausicaa, Eragon, the list goes on...

10. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

Alice In Wonderland

11. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Generation X by Douglas Coupland

12. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

You should read Wuthering Heights...it's so beautiful...Of course I guess you love it or hate it...I adore it, my sis thinks i'm crazy...

Oh and If you're into Abbie Hoffman books anyone, you should also read books by Jerry Rubbin...one of the other founders of the Yippie Movement...he's great too!

13. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Probably "A hundred years of loneliness" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez...
    But any book from Fernando Pessoa, José saramago, Almeida Garrett, Cesário Verde,António Aleixo,Eça de Queiroz, Luís Sepulveda, Jorge Amado,Virgilio Ferreira,among other writers, is very good too!

14. geraldine

geraldine Member

Cry the beloved country - Alan Paton
    a beautiful, beautiful book

and also Jane Eyre - charlotte bronte

15. KingOfTheJews

KingOfTheJews Member

"Addict" by steven someone

a compelling story of a 26 year long anphetimeine addiction, from being a ligitimate millionaire to living on the street with bums, a seriously good book even ask "thepixies" he read it to :)

16. han_tigger

han_tigger Member

It seems that people do either love wuthering heights or hate it, i personally hate it, though am glad i read it, wanted 2 kno what all the fuss was about! Not at all what i expected and in a way i guess it had some hidden truths!

I agree that Virginia woolf is a great writer, as well as Kureishi, who has some interetsing ideas, but my favourite novel (and her only 1) is God of small things by Arandhati Roy- the best book i've ever read, its so powerful, a great story and also written so beautifully!

Hannah.

Handmade jewellery:
    http://www.surfjewels.4t.com

17. Lizz

Lizz Member

Well, I generally read non-fiction over fiction (Mostly political or israel/holocaust), but of the fiction that I have read, I would suggest Leon Uris' "Exodus" or "The Hope" by Herman Wouk.

Gerda Weissmann Klein's "All but my life" is also really great. Funny though, we have to read that next year in English, and I've already read it!

However, my favorite book of all time is "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam, Jr. The movie "october sky" was based on it, and the book also appears with that title. It's great for anyone from a small town, or a strong interest in science (like myself) and aeronautics.

18. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

19. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

I have a few:

Alice In Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass

The Grapes Of Wrath

Sophie's World

20. weep

weep Senior Member

I just love these books: